New clubs in the East of Scotland

1 hour ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Forgive my pedantry , but fairly sure there was no ' SPL  in the 1920's'.....

That was definitely a bizarre fuss about not very much. Beith FC played in the short lived third division of the SFL:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1925–26_Scottish_Division_Three

Same ground, colours and nickname as Beith Juniors and when one stopped having been turfed out of an SFL reserve league the other soon started up in its place:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beith_F.C.

So Beith would be well within their rights to claim an 1875 founding date. 

3 hours ago, patriot1 said:

The LL could change their membership rules to prevent Tayside teams being promoted from the EOS. And you're right this wouldn't break any pyramid playoff rules. But it would break the spirit of the playoff. There's no point George Fraser publicly railing against Kelty being denied the chance of promotion if the LL are going to do the same to Tayside teams. 

While it is up to the LL clubs to change the membership rules why would the EOS confirm that Tayside teams can apply if they suspect that they will soon be barred from promotion to the LL?

Really what I'm trying to do here is put an end to the Tayside junior teams situation being linked to the LL/HL boundary line when it's not. How much time did we all waste putting up maps of Luncarty and Scotland and debating the latitude of the Tay when it turns out none of that mattered? 

The Highland League boundaries now include anywhere north of the Tay, so the likes of Broughty Athletic, Lochee United or Montrose Roselea could be tempted.

All applicants must have a Scottish FA Club License as at 31 March, 2019 and have its registered ground within the SLFL catchment area, which is below the line of latitude that runs through the mid-point of the Tay Bridge.

Most people on here have known that the line of latitude is only used in reference to the SPFL pyramid playoff rules. Its always been seen as a loophole. One that would allow Luncarty in without grievance. Especially once it was known they could be applying. My rememberance, likely from you, was that Orkney was used as an example and that the SPFL were looking to do away with HL/LL boundary line entirely.

Since then we've heard about the pressue from the SPFL on the Lowland League. With the responsibility falling to the Lowland League to change the boundary, not the SPFL. They have suggested they have been pressured to do so, rather than actually wanting to do so. With everyting that has happened between the LL/SPFL and it coming to a membership vote it could go either way. With only the league champion competing in the SPFL League Cup and 4/16 in the SPFL Challenge Cup its only a minority of clubs impacted by the SPFL's 'pressure'. The status quo just needs 9 clubs that don't fancy trips to Brechin and the increased chances of relegation due to the Lowland League catchment area increasing with nothing in return.

I obviously wasn't a part of the EoS AGM. But how much of this topic actually arose around the singular topic of Luncarty's application? And  how much of it could be considered actual promotion of getting additional Tayside clubs to apply to the EoSFL?

As for the spirit of the playoff. The quotes above are from a quick look for the Lowland League application advert and something from the Highland League. To help show that the spirit from both leagues is that the SPFL pyramid playoff boundary, is the boundary for both leagues.

On 31/05/2020 at 14:59, FairWeatherFan said:

Most people on here have known that the line of latitude is only used in reference to the SPFL pyramid playoff rules. Its always been seen as a loophole. One that would allow Luncarty in without grievance. Especially once it was known they could be applying. My rememberance, likely from you, was that Orkney was used as an example and that the SPFL were looking to do away with HL/LL boundary line entirely.

Since then we've heard about the pressue from the SPFL on the Lowland League. With the responsibility falling to the Lowland League to change the boundary, not the SPFL. They have suggested they have been pressured to do so, rather than actually wanting to do so. With everyting that has happened between the LL/SPFL and it coming to a membership vote it could go either way. With only the league champion competing in the SPFL League Cup and 4/16 in the SPFL Challenge Cup its only a minority of clubs impacted by the SPFL's 'pressure'. The status quo just needs 9 clubs that don't fancy trips to Brechin and the increased chances of relegation due to the Lowland League catchment area increasing with nothing in return.

I obviously wasn't a part of the EoS AGM. But how much of this topic actually arose around the singular topic of Luncarty's application? And  how much of it could be considered actual promotion of getting additional Tayside clubs to apply to the EoSFL?

As for the spirit of the playoff. The quotes above are from a quick look for the Lowland League application advert and something from the Highland League. To help show that the spirit from both leagues is that the SPFL pyramid playoff boundary, is the boundary for both leagues.

I can't see that existing Lowland and East of Scotland League clubs, will vote for a change in the boundary, regardless of the ongoing arguments (and pressure) by various parties.

In my opinion, the (north of) Tayside Juniors should form a 'senior' Midland League, and apply to the SFA for tier 6 entry to the pyramid, in 2021/22.  The structure of Scottish football will probably change radically within the next 5 years (maximum), and (together) the Dundee and Angus  SPFL alongside the  'senior' Midland League clubs, would therefore be in a stronger (united) position to influence the future format of the pyramid.

Currently none of the north Tayside clubs are licensed, and not many would reach the required standards, very quickly IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Marten said:

Bo'ness off to the LL now, meaning that Inverkeithing get promoted to the Premier. I wonder if Livingston will now be admitted to the EOS.

We'll have to see how that goes. Last night at the EoS AGM it doesn't sound like they set Conferences due to COVID19. So it doesn't quite fit the Kinnoull replacing Eyemouth model last season.

33 minutes ago, Dev said:

May the Conferences weren't set in stone for a reason? 

Don't know the answer but I hope that Livingston United aren't going to have to wait a year to join.

I imagine the Conferences weren't set because they don't know when the season will start. With 30+ teams, they might prefer 3x smaller Conferences say where you get a double round robin, instead of a 16 team playing each other once. Things like that.

8 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I imagine the Conferences weren't set because they don't know when the season will start. With 30+ teams, they might prefer 3x smaller Conferences say where you get a double round robin, instead of a 16 team playing each other once. Things like that.

Would three Conferences be an opportunity for further clubs to apply now for 2021/22 ? 

15 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Do you mean 2020-21? Because anyone can apply for 2021-22.

If Kinnoull applied for a year ahead and came in straight away may not others do the same, depending upon circumstances?

There has been no indication from the EOS that they are considering three conferences. As I stated on here several weeks ago they are confident that they could fit in a full league season as long as they start before March. 

3 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

There has been no indication from the EOS that they are considering three conferences. As I stated on here several weeks ago they are confident that they could fit in a full league season as long as they start before March. 

image.png.c85c7536d594205595442baadc30fe2b.png

The Euros seem to have gotten a mention and not wanting to clash with them. They kick off on the 11th June 2021. The full calendar for the EoSFL this year ran until the 31st May.

With the lower leagues of the SPFL restricting themselves to what looks like 27 game league seasons, do you still see the EoSFL setting themselves up for 34 and 30 league games?

8 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

image.png.c85c7536d594205595442baadc30fe2b.png

The Euros seem to have gotten a mention and not wanting to clash with them. They kick off on the 11th June 2021. The full calendar for the EoSFL this year ran until the 31st May.

With the lower leagues of the SPFL restricting themselves to what looks like 27 game league seasons, do you still see the EoSFL setting themselves up for 34 and 30 league games?

As far as I am aware there has been no mention of smaller conferences. 

But until we know when we're starting we are just hypothesising. Better just to wait and see. 

I very much doubt any new members will be joining the EoS for whatever remains of next season. 

The AGM was last night and there was absolutely no mention.  The only reason the Conferences haven't been confirmed is they needed to wait until the Bo'ness/Inverkeithing situation was confirmed.

Edited by Burnieman

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I very much doubt any new members will be joining the EoS for whatever remains of next season. 

The AGM was last night and there was absolutely no mention.  The only reason the Conferences haven't been confirmed is they needed to wait until the Bo'ness/Inverkeithing situation was confirmed.

Agree burnie,Livi United will have to play next season in the West Lothian league,but it wont be a long one due to Covid.

This time next year though hopefully them and a few others have applied for the EoS,albeit they will have to start at the bottom.

Now that Bo'ness Utd has been awarded its SFA club licence, promotion to the Lowland League should be a formality for the EoSL champions.      But is it ?

With no Club 42 play-off, champions Kelty Hearts will remain in the Lowland League for next season. Furthermore, the SLFL has already confirmed that bottom club Vale of Leithen will NOT be relegated to the EoSL. 

So, will the SLFL accept BU's promotion, which given the above situation about Kelty and Vale,  would mean that the Lowland League will have 17 clubs in 2020/21.

As yet, I haven't heard/read, that BU's promotion has been agreed, nor whether the Lowland will approve a 17 club league for 2020/21. Apologies, if I have missed this confirmation.

Edited by Robert James
typo error

2 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Now that Bo'ness Utd has been awarded its SFA club licence, promotion to the Lowland League should be a formality for the EoSL champions.      But is it ?

With no Club 42 pla-off, champions Kelty Hearts will remain in the Lowland League for next season. Furthermore, the SLFL has already confirmed that Vale of Leithen will not be relegated to the EoSL. 

So, will the SLFL accept BU's promotion, which given the above situation about Kelty and VoL,  would mean that the Lowland League will have 17 clubs in 2020/21.

As yet, I haven't heard/read, that BU's promotion has been agreed, nor whether the Lowland will approve a 17 club league for 2020/21. Apologies, if I have missed this confirmation.

Aye ye missed it on the LL forum.

17 clubs in the LL next season.