New clubs in the East of Scotland

1 hour ago, patriot1 said:

It's a three year agreement with Dalkeith. I suspect Edinburgh South will use that time to find a ground in the city and build a base. 

I fully agree that they need their own ground. If they have a three year plan then Dalkeith isn't an issue. 

It will be interesting to see how they go if and when they get their own place.   Edinburgh United have been at Paties Road since they were founded in 1985 but have never had much of a following at all despite their best efforts.  Maybe a different demographic in Colinton mind! Attracting a crowd in Edinburgh outwith Hearts and Hibs is a tough ask and always has been.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

It will be interesting to see how they go if and when they get their own place.   Edinburgh United have been at Paties Road since they were founded in 1985 but have never had much of a following at all despite their best efforts.  Maybe a different demographic in Colinton mind! Attracting a crowd in Edinburgh outwith Hearts and Hibs is a tough ask and always has been.

Where did the meadowbank fans go after they moved to Livingston 

I recall a Meadowbank supporter who used to wear a yellow and black kilt at games. He went to watch Berwick Rangers, after the Livingston move, probably so he didn't have to change the colour of his kilt. 

We have a former Meadowbank / Feranti Thistle fan at the Shire now, but I think most are at Edinburgh City. 

Very few would have gone to Livingston. 

39 minutes ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

I recall a Meadowbank supporter who used to wear a yellow and black kilt at games. He went to watch Berwick Rangers, after the Livingston move, probably so he didn't have to change the colour of his kilt. 

We have a former Meadowbank / Feranti Thistle fan at the Shire now, but I think most are at Edinburgh City. 

Very few would have gone to Livingston. 

@tamthebam @scrooge1928 might know. 

5 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

@tamthebam @scrooge1928 might know. 

Not many went west and I think about 3 folk who watched Thistle still regularly watch the Failed Franchise.

There were quite a few folk just gave up watching football because Meadowbank were their team. Me? I was just bored on a Saturday afternoon otherwise I might have been one of them. Now I'm still mostly bored on a Saturday afternoon but at least it gets me out the house.

6 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Seems to be quite difficult to attract a crowd in Livingston too if original club United and the Franchise are anything to go by...

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Seems to be quite difficult to attract a crowd in Livingston too if original club United and the Franchise are anything to go by...

Not sure the connection really, my point was specifically Edinburgh and the reality that is trying to get people to watch games.  Even Spartans only get around 100/120 a game in the LL.

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

There’s a big, untapped Polish support around United they would do well to engage with. A lot of lads at my work are football daft but understandably won’t fork out £20odd a game to go to Almondvale (some go to the odd game), but when you mention United... they know the club exists but don’t know the details of games and prices. They are always amazed when you tell them £6 entry and the first question is usually, “is it safe for the children to go?”! Which gives you an insight onto tier 6-7 football in Poland! 😂
Something EoS clubs in the area should seriously be looking at imo

1 minute ago, Spyro said:

There’s a big, untapped Polish support around United they would do well to engage with. A lot of lads at my work are football daft but understandably won’t fork out £20odd a game to go to Almondvale (some go to the odd game), but when you mention United... they know the club exists but don’t know the details of games and prices. They are always amazed when you tell them £6 entry and the first question is usually, “is it safe for the children to go?”! Which gives you an insight onto tier 6-7 football in Poland! 😂
Something EoS clubs in the area should seriously be looking at imo

Not a bad idea actually. There's a Punjab United and an FC Romania in the non league ranks in England so it might be worth Livingston United trying to attract support from the Polish community. There is a historical precedent if you think of the Irish community forming Hibs, Celtic, Dundee Hibernian/United, Lochee Harp, St Anthony's etc.

I have seen photos of Polish 3rd tier grounds where the fans get put in cages so tier 6-7 would be an experience!

8 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Steady. Inch Park is half an hour away from Dalkeith on a direct bus or half that by car, hardly west Glasgow to Alloa.

Alloa isn't that far from Glasgow to be honest. Google is suggesting 40 minutes from Broomhill to Alloa. The exact distance isn't the issue anyway. Broomhill is still a newish club that should be trying to establish itself in its home community. It won't do that based in Alloa. Edinburgh South won't develop a support in their area while playing out of Dalkeith. The number 3 is not going to be full of floating fans from the Inch and Liberton heading out to watch them. 

If it is for 3 years and they then move to a permanent home in Edinburgh South then fair enough. But ideally you would establish yourselves a bit more first as a club before going for a league like the EoS. 

Edited by Waspie

52 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I have seen photos of Polish 3rd tier grounds where the fans get put in cages so tier 6-7 would be an experience!

Even at tier 7-8 there’s big crowds (in the high hundreds), pyro displays and riots... then a football match breaks out! The standard is terrible but I get the feeling it’s more about local pride than silky skills

11 hours ago, Spyro said:

Even at tier 7-8 there’s big crowds (in the high hundreds), pyro displays and riots... then a football match breaks out! The standard is terrible but I get the feeling it’s more about local pride than silky skills

Sounds a little like the Ayrshire Juniors!

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 23:06, Waspie said:

If it is for 3 years and they then move to a permanent home in Edinburgh South then fair enough. But ideally you would establish yourselves a bit more first as a club before going for a league like the EoS. 

Chicken and egg tho'. Might be easier to get a ground and establish yourself in an area when you're settled in a league like the EoS

I'll be honest, I don't see the point for a club to set up and play out of town.  Especially when no ground is secured.

Land in Edinburgh is at a premium.  They may have been better considering a shift to Saughton Park, to share with LTHV.  It certainly cost Lothian when Tynecastle moved out.

Different priorities for different clubs. Edinburgh South, like BSC, Bonnyton, Rossvale and a few others have joined the senior (and junior) ranks as a place to give the players in their youth system to aim for. Also, like those clubs, they do represent their community through the expansive youth programmes they have and in other ways that where they play their games is a relatively small part of it.

Teams like Brechin and Stranraer are currently playing teams made up of players from the Central Belt, training away from the town and only turning up once a fortnight for a game of football. It's entirely subjective to claim they are representing their towns any more than BSC, with a handful of players from the local area who've came through the ranks in the youth teams, but happen to be playing outside Glasgow.

I suppose part of the concern for these youth clubs is that if they don't create their own senior age sides, other pyramid clubs will create their own youth systems. Then the youth club starts losing players to the pyramid club. Just look at all the u20s teams popping up.

On 21/05/2020 at 10:32, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Different priorities for different clubs. Edinburgh South, like BSC, Bonnyton, Rossvale and a few others have joined the senior (and junior) ranks as a place to give the players in their youth system to aim for. Also, like those clubs, they do represent their community through the expansive youth programmes they have and in other ways that where they play their games is a relatively small part of it.

Teams like Brechin and Stranraer are currently playing teams made up of players from the Central Belt, training away from the town and only turning up once a fortnight for a game of football. It's entirely subjective to claim they are representing their towns any more than BSC, with a handful of players from the local area who've came through the ranks in the youth teams, but happen to be playing outside Glasgow.

True, but what are the priorities for such clubs?  Using the EOS as a destination to encourage u-20's sides is commendable, up to a point but ideally, these players should be playing & training locally.  If a club wants to progress up the ranks, it must make roots.  Like it or not, local buy-in to a club is imperative, eg sponsorship, if it is to make real progress