New clubs in the East of Scotland

27 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Three of the big headlines on the football pages just now are positive tests in England, Germany, and Spain. That's in their full time professional divisions where they can cover the costs of all that testing. There's a reason why all the playoffs were cancelled. Nobody knows when football is going to be played at these levels anytime soon and leagues have to start planning for a restart whenever that comes.

The pressure put upon the Lowland League is a farce, but then that's a point that has been made countless times since it became apparent that Brechin City were the lead candidate to be Club 42.

Remains to be seen whether the line will ever move, and if so it's a definitive line.  I suspect what may happen will be that there is no line or a "soft line" meaning the Angus clubs can decide what league they drop into, they are really the only ones who will ever have an issue with it.

Then again, perhaps with this issue now out in the open and under scrutinty and the fact Brechin aren't going down, it will be quietly dropped.

6 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

Remains to be seen whether the line will ever move, and if so it's a definitive line.  I suspect what may happen will be that there is no line or a "soft line" meaning the Angus clubs can decide what league they drop into, they are really the only ones who will ever have an issue with it.

Then again, perhaps with this issue now out in the open and under scrutinty and the fact Brechin aren't going down, it will be quietly dropped.

Next year Brechin are the only Angus club in League Two again. As long as they're nowhere near relegation I doubt there will be a push for it to change.

It will get forgotten unless there's some overall change to the SPFL playoff, but something like that would be accepting automatic relegation to Club 42. Which I doubt is a trade off that other SPFL clubs would welcome.

On 09/05/2020 at 15:06, GordonS said:

Agreed, I liked the idea of promotions without relegations this year. Even 14-10-10-10 would have been fine. But the SPFL is ferrets-in-a-sack club now.

Perhaps  :  12 (premier unchanged) - 10 - 10 -12 would have been more acceptable to the Premier clubs ?  As a temporary (one season only)  compromise,  Brora & Kelty join League 2, and also Brechin retain their SPFL status.

But I guess Leagues 1 & 2 clubs would not have voted for this alternative, as it commits the SPFL to either relegating an extra club over each of the next 2 seasons, or to accepting a restructuring of the Scottish league, the outcome of which, may not be beneficial to its part time clubs, in particular. 

3 hours ago, the tin man said:

Cant find where some 1 questioned me on john o hara getting the job at Edinburgh south before interviews 

Hats off for calling this. Seems pointless having advertised the job, interviewing guys thinking they had a chance and then giving him the job anyway. Seems a waste of a lot of people's time. It also reeks of a set up ..guid luck to him anyway.

9 minutes ago, snoopdd said:

Hats off for calling this. Seems pointless having advertised the job, interviewing guys thinking they had a chance and then giving him the job anyway. Seems a waste of a lot of people's time. It also reeks of a set up ..guid luck to him anyway.

Seems familiar. You've obviously never worked for my organisation...!

On 10/05/2020 at 18:13, Saints1921 said:

Good article in today's Sunday Post (and I don't say that very often!).  If the play-off is still 'live' I'd love to see Kelty and Brora contest for the right to be called winner, even if Brechin scratch!!  Alas, looks like it won't happen because the SPFL just don't care about Scottish football.  Also a surprise to read Fraser state that the SPFL tried to bully through a change to the HL/LL boundary when Doncaster says the SPFL don't bully anyone!   

article0001.jpg

'The play-off is an SFA competition'.....

So what are they saying re this ?

Hee haw ?

Edited by Doonhamer1969
typo

16 hours ago, Robert James said:

Perhaps  :  12 (premier unchanged) - 10 - 10 -12 would have been more acceptable to the Premier clubs ?  As a temporary (one season only)  compromise,  Brora & Kelty join League 2, and also Brechin retain their SPFL status.

But I guess Leagues 1 & 2 clubs would not have voted for this alternative, as it commits the SPFL to either relegating an extra club over each of the next 2 seasons, or to accepting a restructuring of the Scottish league, the outcome of which, may not be beneficial to its part time clubs, in particular. 

The trouble (as far as League Two clubs would be concerned) on creating a 12 team league, including Brora and Kelty, for one season only, is having to relegate teams at the end of the term. 

Chances are that Cove, Edinburgh City, Brora and Kelty would be nowhere near the bottom 3, therefore, going by this year's placings you could have Brechin and Albion Rovers relegated and Stenhousemuir facing a play off with Bonnyrigg. Big chance of 3 established clubs going out of the league. 

11 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

You don't need to relegate a load of clubs all at once to get to whatever the desired number is, you can do it over a couple of seasons.

Even if you just did: Automatically relegate one and have 2nd bottom be in the playoff against the HL/LL champions until you get down to ten. That would still be two current SPFL League Two clubs fearing relegation. Which is two too many for them.

I quite liked the temporary expansion idea. Whatever money found for Club 43 & 44 could then be used to fund the parachute payments for Club 42 after that since the SFA don't do that anymore, or even just as an overall solidarity payment to the Highland and Lowland Leagues.

8 hours ago, snoopdd said:

So he shouldn’t get the job because someone on pie and bovril said he was gonna get the job🙈. Anyone who knows  johno Knew he was wanting the job. It wasnt a secret. They obviously thought he was best candidate. Weather that’s a good decision or not, Only time will tell. Who else was interviewed?? I heard There was about 20 applicants 

5 hours ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

'The play-off is an SFA competition'.....

So what are they saying re this ?

Hee haw ?

The problem is that in the rules that can only be changed by the SFA, SPFL, HL and LL together it says that the initial HL vs LL games take place at the end of the season. That couldn't happen this year for COVID-19 reasons, so the SPFL are on reasonably solid ground. The rules also state that the Club 42 vs pyramid champion game will be approved and organised by the SPFL, so it's not as clear cut as George Fraser is suggesting.

16 hours ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

The trouble (as far as League Two clubs would be concerned) on creating a 12 team league, including Brora and Kelty, for one season only, is having to relegate teams at the end of the term. 

Chances are that Cove, Edinburgh City, Brora and Kelty would be nowhere near the bottom 3, therefore, going by this year's placings you could have Brechin and Albion Rovers relegated and Stenhousemuir facing a play off with Bonnyrigg. Big chance of 3 established clubs going out of the league. 

My suggested changes were proposed for one year only, as a compromise given the restructuring hiatus caused by covid :19. .

Longer term after some of the West clubs get licensed , I would like to see League 2 having 16 or 18 clubs,  instead of 10. This would  provide the opportunity for  6 or 8 Tier 5 clubs to join the SPFL, and also improve the chances of the lower SPFL clubs escaping relegation. Especially if the bottom League 2 club was automatically relegated, and replaced by the Highland/Lowland play-off winners.  Also,the penultimate League 2 club could/should face a play-off with the losers from the Highland/Lowland champions play-off. 

It would be a huge benefit to Scottish football, as it would make the pyramid more open, and vibrant.

Edited by Robert James

On 13/05/2020 at 07:24, Nimmo's Notes said:

Just delaying the inevitable. If change is embraced the clubs will realise there’s going to be a novelty factor in a large non league LL where you only play each other twice.

35 minutes ago, the tin man said:

Has the conferences been drawn some 1 put them up n deleted them. I have a copy but no sure how true 

I think that was accurate. Teams listed in rank of average PPG I think and then put alternatively into A and B working down the list. 

That’s the way they’re being calculated.