New clubs in the East of Scotland

22 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Too posh to be in West Lothian

Parts of Livi are pretty posh, and I live in a bit of Linlithgow that's really not posh, but you're not wrong.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

West Lothian has some rural scenic parts. Torphichen would maybe be the prime example now that Blackness is no longer officially part of it under the new boundaries.

Those new boundaries are 45 years old now. Time flies.

The hilly area between Linlithgow, Bathgate, Broxburn and Winchburgh is really nice, loads of great walks and cycling routes. Nice places all over, I like the countryside around Five Sisters zoo.

On 05/05/2020 at 23:51, heedthebaa said:

Progress, but still a way to go 

I've not been to Eyemouth for years, might have to pop down when football restarts.

I may even buy yer a pint... :cheers

18 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I've not been to Eyemouth for years, might have to pop down when football restarts.

I won’t know if to drink it or frame it tightarse 😎

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Had to check up myself. November 2012 with Whitehill. Guid pies 😍

I see that SPFL reconstruction talks have fallen through already (surprise, surprise) and Highland League reps are not happy.  Can somebody (Burnie?) please clarify, can the SPFL change the League Two entry play-offs without the consent of the LL/HL? 

18 minutes ago, Saints1921 said:

I see that SPFL reconstruction talks have fallen through already (surprise, surprise) and Highland League reps are not happy.  Can somebody (Burnie?) please clarify, can the SPFL change the League Two entry play-offs without the consent of the LL/HL? 

This is an unusual year due to the circumstances. With the rule regarding the pyramid playoff can be nitpicked to death.

Both the Highland League and Lowland League for example have a definition in their rules with regards to how their Champion would be declared.

Lowland League

H3 The winning of the Championship of the League will be decided on results of the Home and Away matches between the Clubs in membership, three points for a win, one point for a draw. The Club scoring the highest number of points will be declared the Champion. a) In the event of two or more Clubs being equal in points, goal difference will decide the Championship; b) In the event of the points and goal difference being equal, the club scoring the most number of goals will decide the Championship; c) If the points, goal difference and goals scored are the same the Championship will be decided by a Championship Play-Off Competition at a venue to be decided by the Board; d) If a decision in the Play-Off Match to determine the Champion Club has not been reached by the end of ninety (90) minutes, extra time of fifteen (15) minutes each way will be played. If at the end of extra time there is still equality the winners will be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the system laid down by the International Football Association Board. The cost of Match Officials, Ground Rent, Catering etc, for the play-off will be met from the gate receipts and any surplus thereafter will accrue to the League

Highland League

The winning of the Championship of the Scottish Highland Football League will be decided by the results of the matches between the Clubs in membership, three points for a win, one point for a draw.

I'm sure the SPFL would say that as the season was never finished,  neither Kelty or Brora meet the requirements of their own league bodies to be declared Champions.

28 minutes ago, Saints1921 said:

...can the SPFL change the League Two entry play-offs without the consent of the LL/HL? 

No,  in the absence of wider reconstruction everything stays as is, so no change to what happens to Club 42 in future without SFA, HL and LL consent. This season the relegation playoffs for all four divisions didn't happen because the season didn't finish.

While it sucks out loud, if there's no reconstruction then I don't blame the SPFL for not having a pyramid play-off this season. None of the other play-offs are taking place and any play-offs would have to take place immediately before the new season begins. it's not realistic for clubs not to know what league they'll be in a week before the league season starts.

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

While it sucks out loud, if there's no reconstruction then I don't blame the SPFL for not having a pyramid play-off this season. None of the other play-offs are taking place and any play-offs would have to take place immediately before the new season begins. it's not realistic for clubs not to know what league they'll be in a week before the league season starts.

Yes this is very true, playoffs were never going to happen and rightly so.

Which is why there should have been (at least a temporary) expansion of the leagues

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Yes this is very true, playoffs were never going to happen and rightly so.

Which is why there should have been (at least a temporary) expansion of the leagues

Agreed, I liked the idea of promotions without relegations this year. Even 14-10-10-10 would have been fine. But the SPFL is ferrets-in-a-sack club now.

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Agreed, I liked the idea of promotions without relegations this year. Even 14-10-10-10 would have been fine. But the SPFL is ferrets-in-a-sack club now.

Even if by temporary, it meant 4-6 years rather than potentially 3 teams dropping straight out of the SPFL after just one year, with a plan to even use average points over 2 seasons to determine who dropped down, and making the LL/HL playoffs every 2 years until the leagues settle back down as the compromise to allowing Brora and Kelty straight up...

This would’ve gave a chance to get to a proper agreement to a much more fluid system and plenty of time for clubs to adapt 

Edited by Spyro

Good article in today's Sunday Post (and I don't say that very often!).  If the play-off is still 'live' I'd love to see Kelty and Brora contest for the right to be called winner, even if Brechin scratch!!  Alas, looks like it won't happen because the SPFL just don't care about Scottish football.  Also a surprise to read Fraser state that the SPFL tried to bully through a change to the HL/LL boundary when Doncaster says the SPFL don't bully anyone!   

article0001.jpg

2 minutes ago, Saints1921 said:

Good article in today's Sunday Post (and I don't say that very often!).  If the play-off is still 'live' I'd love to see Kelty and Brora contest for the right to be called winner, even if Brechin scratch!!  Alas, looks like it won't happen because the SPFL just don't care about Scottish football.  Also a surprise to read Fraser state that the SPFL tried to bully through a change to the HL/LL boundary when Doncaster says the SPFL don't bully anyone!   

article0001.jpg

Three of the big headlines on the football pages just now are positive tests in England, Germany, and Spain. That's in their full time professional divisions where they can cover the costs of all that testing. There's a reason why all the playoffs were cancelled. Nobody knows when football is going to be played at these levels anytime soon and leagues have to start planning for a restart whenever that comes.

The pressure put upon the Lowland League is a farce, but then that's a point that has been made countless times since it became apparent that Brechin City were the lead candidate to be Club 42.

Make no mistake about it this brechin thing is a total red herring. 

Whether it was brechin or stenhousemuir or stirling albion or elgin bottom of league 2 this situation would still be the same. 

All these clubs have built up relationships and look out for each other and will continue to do so if stirling albion were bottom of league 2 brechin and other clubs in the cabal would look after them this will never change in scottish senior football.