New clubs in the East of Scotland

15 minutes ago, teamfinderscot said:

I see sosfl has been voided, I wouldn’t write the teams off at that league by any means but would fancy a strong boness against them. This means if boness are promoted there is that imbalance which could see Livi ‘shoehorned’ in, I’m not sure it would happen but remains a possibility, also the ERSJFA may not be too keen readmitting a club who doesn’t want to be there.

Bo'ness are going up, all being well on the club license front. Not sure if Livi will slot in or not given they publicly announced their rejection...

2 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

A lot of players at our level have a family life to consider too.  On top of their full-time job, many wives don't want to see their husbands disappearing all day to the exclusion of their children, as an example.  

While that makes sense in theory, in practice it's very obvious that the vast majority of players are willing to travel further for a higher standard of football. And we're only talking about being away for an additional hour or two every other Saturday.

Sorry for not explaining that when first posting.  I should have thought of you first.  There was no flip side, as we had another three trips later in the season.  That is how I arrived at my total of seven.

Those three were cup ties, that's just how it goes some years. 

2 hours ago, Hip Priest said:

With apologies for the digression, although Bo'ness hasn't been in West Lothian in administrative terms at any point in my lifetime, I nevertheless always think of it as being in West Lothian.    So it always feels weird when people talk about West Lothian football and aren't including the BU in that discussion - indeed my starting assumption is always that they are included until someone says something that suggests otherwise.  I seem to remember there being some sort of one-off cup round about the millennium - possibly called the Millennium Cup... - for West Lothian clubs and Bo'ness not being invited. The rationale was that Bo'ness was "in Falkirk District" or that they already had eight teams for the competition, or something.  But we all know they were just sh*ting it cos we were going to win.

Anyway, Scottish football has enough identity politics issues without us getting into bitter conflicts over who the real ethnic West Lothianers are, so please feel free to get back on topic.

I'm fine taking Bo'ness back into West Lothian, but only if we go back to calling it Linlithgowshire too.

Linlithgow doesn't really feel like West Lothian tbh. The bus from here to the council HQ in Livingston takes 1 hour 1 minute; you can get a train to Berwick from here in 1 hour 9 minutes, and that includes changing trains at Waverley. Even the main road from Linlithgow to Livingston looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 19.14.23.png

2 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Have you heard anything around town about the other team at Newtown who some call ‘The Tribute Act’ potentially applying for EOS? 

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I'm fine taking Bo'ness back into West Lothian, but only if we go back to calling it Linlithgowshire too.

Linlithgow doesn't really feel like West Lothian tbh. The bus from here to the council HQ in Livingston takes 1 hour 1 minute; you can get a train to Berwick from here in 1 hour 9 minutes, and that includes changing trains at Waverley. Even the main road from Linlithgow to Livingston looks like this:

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 19.14.23.png

I’d class that as the back road to Dechmont and it’s a back road by anyone’s standards. The main road from Lithgy to Livi would be the M8, M9.

2 hours ago, Hip Priest said:

With apologies for the digression, although Bo'ness hasn't been in West Lothian in administrative terms at any point in my lifetime, I nevertheless always think of it as being in West Lothian.    So it always feels weird when people talk about West Lothian football and aren't including the BU in that discussion - indeed my starting assumption is always that they are included until someone says something that suggests otherwise.  I seem to remember there being some sort of one-off cup round about the millennium - possibly called the Millennium Cup... - for West Lothian clubs and Bo'ness not being invited. The rationale was that Bo'ness was "in Falkirk District" or that they already had eight teams for the competition, or something.  But we all know they were just sh*ting it cos we were going to win.

The West Lothian Courier sponsored it, and I think West Lothian Council were involved as well.    We got to the final beating Lithgae along the way but lost to Fauldhouse  at Almondvale Stadium.

Edited by Burnieman

3 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Have you heard anything around town about the other team at Newtown who some call ‘The Tribute Act’ potentially applying for EOS? 

I’d class that as the back road to Dechmont and it’s a back road by anyone’s standards. The main road from Lithgy to Livi would be the M8, M9.

I literally don't know of anyone in the town who would go via Newbridge and I've lived here for 20 years. Maybe those out in spam valley Springfield, because they're near the motorway, but they'd still be quicker going through Ecclesmachan. Everybody takes the Dechmont road. Friends of ours broke down there on the way to St John's last week.

Most folk I know also take this road to Bathgate: 

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 22.52.42.png

24 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I literally don't know of anyone in the town who would go via Newbridge and I've lived here for 20 years. Maybe those out in spam valley Springfield, because they're near the motorway, but they'd still be quicker going through Ecclesmachan. Everybody takes the Dechmont road. Friends of ours broke down there on the way to St John's last week.

Most folk I know also take this road to Bathgate: 

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 22.52.42.png

Oh come on now! 😄 Nobody goes to Bathgate Gordon! Now you’re just telling lies and being silly.

Spoiler

I was just being pernickety about your definition of a main road in my original reply. The Dechmont route is little more than a tarmac farm track.

3 hours ago, Burnieman said:

The West Lothian Courier sponsored it, and I think West Lothian Council were involved as well.    We got to the final beating Lithgae along the way but lost to Fauldhouse  at Almondvale Stadium.

I celebrated wildly when I read this post.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

While that makes sense in theory, in practice it's very obvious that the vast majority of players are willing to travel further for a higher standard of football. And we're only talking about being away for an additional hour or two every other Saturday.

Those three were cup ties, that's just how it goes some years. 

Agreed players are quite happy to travel. It doesn’t take much to realise they aren’t all moving towns every 6 months when they move between clubs an hour apart(or further if we go up to spfl).  Being a a part-time player takes a fair bit of commitment and a wee bit extra travel for some away games is such a small part of that.

7 hours ago, Born To Run said:

Bo'ness are going up, all being well on the club license front. Not sure if Livi will slot in or not given they publicly announced their rejection...

Suppose that means EOS clubs should now know there was someone wanting to join. Perhaps once clubs realise one conference will have an odd number either Livi could apply again or an EOS club may suggest they join?

(sorry for straying back on topic)

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Suppose that means EOS clubs should now know there was someone wanting to join. Perhaps once clubs realise one conference will have an odd number either Livi could apply again or an EOS club may suggest they join?

(sorry for straying back on topic)

Statement on the Livingston United web site says their application is in.

Statement on the Livingston United web site says their application is in.

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/livingstonunitedjuniorfootballclub/news/official-club-statement-2533366.html

A firm commitment that they will indeed be moving to the EoSFL, whether it be this coming season should circumstances change, and they are likely to with Bo’ness United moving up to the Lowland League, or for season 2021/22. Good on them for showing the proper sort of ambition and for being willing to go public with their intention while clearly keeping the ERSJFA firmly in the loop. I for one hope all is not lost to them by way of EoSFL football for season 2020/21, whenever that might be.

More the merrier, if they meet all criteria, for me

Last time I played there, the pitch and facilities in much better condition than years ago, probably a better setup than some current members. I fear for the junior game however as if livi do go I think a few clubs will try jump on the bandwagon.

11 hours ago, teamfinderscot said:

Last time I played there, the pitch and facilities in much better condition than years ago, probably a better setup than some current members. I fear for the junior game however as if livi do go I think a few clubs will try jump on the bandwagon.

It's up to each club which league it plays in, obviously, but there comes a time, given what's happened, when it must be difficult to justify keeping going in the ERJFA (or SJFA come to that). Maybe that time is here? Could, should or would the EoS take in some or all of the remaining East Juniors at the AGM or another EGM? 

Purely for fun/speculation:

There's currently 32 clubs lined up at Tier 7 in two 16 club conferences set for 2020/21 (or later if needs be).

How many clubs are needed for three conferences? Three conferences at 12 each needs 36 clubs. 

Suppose all 13  (including Livingston United) came over then that would be 32 plus 13:  45 clubs which would give three x 15 club conferences.

In 2021/22 there would be say 18 plus 45 clubs: total 63 clubs - so four divisions at 16 would be 64 clubs. There'd even be space for one additional club.

Possibly it could be something like this in 2021/22:

(A):

(Tier 6) Prem: 16

(Tier 7) Div. One: 16

(Tier Eight)   Div Two North: 16

(Tier 9) Div Two South: 16

Alternatively

(B): With 64 clubs you could go to this with inter-conference games at Division Three level to boost the number of league games there. This would allow for some regionalisation at the bottom level which would make it easier for new clubs to move up from the Amateur/Youth levels.

(Tier 6) Prem: 16

(Tier 7) Div. One: 14

(Tier Eight)  Div Two: 14

(Tier 9) Div Three South: 10

(Tier 9) Div Three North: 10

I am thinking that, now that the EoS has fixed its' place in the East, so there is certainty for prospective newcomers, then there will be further applicants from the Amateur/Youth ranks in twelve months time. This might be further fostered if the lowest Tier of the EoS was regionalised. Thinking of Cupar Hearts (merged with AM Soccer's first team), the likes of Duns from the Borders, the many Youth set-ups in Edinburgh, the Lothians,  Fife, etc.

Are there clubs out there that could fit the bill in 2021/22 or later? Any suggestions/thoughts?

Edited by Dev
.Get rid of unwanted emojis

2023686099_Screenshot2020-05-04at19_14_23.thumb.png.cdb7b16aa1f40d04aea601e4a59775e5.png

Too posh to be in West Lothian