New clubs in the East of Scotland

If all the south section Fife teams plus Eyemouth join for next season that's 48. Only needs 4 more for two regional second division conferences to be doable at that point. I'd be surprised if that number isn't exceeded given there are 10 more south section plus 2 north section teams that might go for it before we even get into the 3 tribute acts, Luncarty, Selkirk, Duns or any ambitious amateur or youth clubs that might want to emulate Hillfield Swifts

Edited by LongTimeLurker

At least the structure from 2021/22 is now clear, a 16 team first division and the rest in a second division which is possibly regionalised, depending on numbers. Not everyone will be happy with this but there is clarity which there should have been much earlier. It will now be interesting to see whether or not this will tempt the larger West Lothian teams into joining the EOS.

So now we wait to see how many new teams apply/are accepted ahead of next season.  I must say, I’m slightly disappointed with the outcome of the vote since the numbers for next term may become slightly awkward and some latecomers to the party will benefit more than some teams who moved two years ago.  Say for argument’s sake, that seven Fife teams (excluding Tayport), two Perthshire teams and one from West Lothian move across as rumoured.  That gives 34 teams, which would either split 11, 11, 12 or 17, 17 – neither of which is very appealing.  If any more teams join, we’re looking at three conferences but there are currently only two automatic promotion spots available.  Either way, it looks like inter-conference fixtures will soon become a thing of the past.  I guess the main argument for having conferences again next season is to encourage as many new applicants as possible so let’s get all the stragglers in once and for all so we can finally move forward in 1921.   

14 minutes ago, Saints1921 said:

So now we wait to see how many new teams apply/are accepted ahead of next season.  I must say, I’m slightly disappointed with the outcome of the vote since the numbers for next term may become slightly awkward and some latecomers to the party will benefit more than some teams who moved two years ago.  Say for argument’s sake, that seven Fife teams (excluding Tayport), two Perthshire teams and one from West Lothian move across as rumoured.  That gives 34 teams, which would either split 11, 11, 12 or 17, 17 – neither of which is very appealing.  If any more teams join, we’re looking at three conferences but there are currently only two automatic promotion spots available.  Either way, it looks like inter-conference fixtures will soon become a thing of the past.  I guess the main argument for having conferences again next season is to encourage as many new applicants as possible so let’s get all the stragglers in once and for all so we can finally move forward in 1921.   

I can see why teams would be disappointed but hopefully it gives us a bit more of a settled outcome quicker with teams coming over. Hopefully we get enough teams over and it's not as bad as you fear.

I was for going for tier 7 conference as I felt it would give a better end and resolution. It.could bite me on the bum if the west Lothian big guns dont come across but teams not knowing at this stage what they were playing for I didn't feel it was right. 

My club voted for divisional structure apparently 

18 minutes ago, Saints1921 said:

I think if 3 conferences be 3 winners to premier league and 2nd-5th and best 6 and relegated 3 from premier make up first

Statement just gone on EoS FA facebook....

League structure

It's been confirmed, following a membership vote, our league in 2020/21 will again consist of a sixteen team Premier Division with First Division Conferences beneath - clubs will be playing for their places in a fully hierarchical structure from season 2021/22 onwards.

The vote only very narrowly favoured this scenario, over the alternative option which would've seen us switch to the hierarchical structure with immediate effect. We recognise that, as in any comparable scenario, there will inevitably be disappointment among those parties in favour of the alternative. It's not unreasonable to state we are all of us contending at present with unprecedented developments in terms of the rational structuring of Scottish football leagues - as such it's inevitable this latest news won't be universally welcomed. Such is the way of things when matters of significance are put to the vote - of course some will argue the whole process ought to have been handled otherwise; we aim to operate on as democratic a basis as possible, and recognise fully the validity of the argument hierarchical structure with immediate effect is desirable - the bottom line however is that a majority of member clubs, however slim, preferred the Conference option.

We're of the view that, when all valid points are taken into consideration, the path we're on is the right one. It's understood some might prefer a slightly different route to the ideal we're all seeking, we hope they likewise understand the background to the situation we now have.

17 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

I think if 3 conferences be 3 winners to premier league and 2nd-5th and best 6 and relegated 3 from premier make up first

Oh yeah, just realised that third bottom of the Prem definitely comes down!!

This has to increase the chances of Juniors making the switch, giving them as it does a home at tier 7, but the possibility they would have to limp in at tier 9 if they miss this opportunity.

This time three years ago Kelty were on their way to a second East Region Superleague title in an SJFA region of (IIRC) 61 clubs, while the East of Scotland League had 11 members after Duns withdrew.

At the start of next season Kelty could be playing in League 2, while the East of Scotland League could have consumed pretty much the entire ERSJFA south of the Tay and precipitated the end of Junior football as a major grade in Scotland.

Nobody saw that coming.

5 minutes ago, the tin man said:

Winners from tonights meeting are definitely the new teams. Meaning they don't need to go in a league with all the bottom sides that don't generate away support and much closer to the Premier league

Yes - for a club like Fauldhouse it'll be a case of finishing in the top 5 to play in the First Division come 2021-22 rather than trying to finish in the top 2 if it had been Second Division conferences (albeit these would've contained weaker teams). Plus they now have a (small) chance of getting to the Premier Division for 2021-22.

16 minutes ago, the tin man said:

Winners from tonights meeting are definitely the new teams. Meaning they don't need to go in a league with all the bottom sides that don't generate away support and much closer to the Premier league

Of the 12 clubs that make up the bottom half of the attendances list, 7 of them would likely have been in the EoS First Division (or EoS Premier potentially in a couple of cases).

image.png.dc2252b3da991c5ca9a5f351926ec961.png

Well the EOS members being accommodating once again by offering an Olive branch one last time to the East Juniors, personally I think it’s a good decision let’s what’s left of the Juniors know this is the last chance to join at tier 7 and they’ll accommodate any who met the criteria. It’s also the quickest way to get the few remaining stronger teams through the weaker teams quickly. Can see why some prefer the leagues formed next year but it’s only one more season and remember the original EOS members have bent over backwards for years. They let the Lowland League take their best teams, they took severe thumpings from Kelty stopping LTHV certain promotion, they allowed conferences to get the ex Juniors at tier 6 at the expense of all their members and now they’re letting the last few have a similar welcome. Hopefully this message gets what’s left in the East Juniors to join and next season we’ve got every East team south of the Tay playing in one system.

16 minutes ago, GordonS said:

This has to increase the chances of Juniors making the switch, giving them as it does a home at tier 7, but the possibility they would have to limp in at tier 9 if they miss this opportunity.

This time three years ago Kelty were on their way to a second East Region Superleague title in an SJFA region of (IIRC) 61 clubs, while the East of Scotland League had 11 members after Duns withdrew.

At the start of next season Kelty could be playing in League 2, while the East of Scotland League could have consumed pretty much the entire ERSJFA south of the Tay and precipitated the end of Junior football as a major grade in Scotland.

Nobody saw that coming.

Just look at the first pages of this thread, people were saying that even if Kelty would move, not many would follow, the EOS was a busted flush and it would be more likely that more clubs would follow Craigroyston & Easthouses into the juniors. It wasn't strange to think that way back then, quite something has changed in the meantime...

Disappointing result but it was a fair vote any new teams have won a watch here

Extra spice added to conference A as it’s really tight at the top
Inverkeithing can’t afford to slip up now being relegated from the premier into conferences is worse than being relegated to a first division

I really hope they don’t do the conferences regional either

Anyway debate over now at least the EOS has a vision for the following years

I’d also point out it’s easy to say what’s left of the ERJFA had their chance to move these last two years but remember the campaign of misinformation. We even had board members on here who were taken in by the “it’s a done deal” and “the SFA will force through tier 6”. Some wrongly believed the SJFA would deliver and now they should know the EOS, WOS and SOS are their only route in.