New clubs in the East of Scotland

What a set up Duns FC have,hopefully one day they make it back to the EoS.
They have the set-up no doubt. Maybe when the league settles down with possibly a "bottom" division with the smaller clubs involved it might be more attractive to Duns.

What a set up Duns FC have,hopefully one day they make it back to the EoS.
They have the set-up no doubt. Maybe when the league settles down with possibly a "bottom" division with the smaller clubs involved it might be more attractive to Duns.

That's what I hope as well, if there is ultimately a 3 tier set-up, maybe some borders teams might consider returning to senior football in tier 8 as it will be more their level.

It must be one of the finest arenas in amateur football. They had also built their crowds up to around the 80 mark, but I think they're more like half that now (higher for a local derby with Chirnside or Greenlaw and so on tbf).

They had to make a snap decision in pre-season when they realised they wouldn't have had enough players, and it was a case of keep the amateurs and be competitive but render much of the ground development relatively purposeless, or keep the seniors and kick on toward licensing but probably take a doing for most of the season. At the time many people certainly thought they'd made the wrong decision: their own chairman and manager resigned. However having seen what had happened to Kelso and what has happened to Eyemouth, perhaps it was a wiser move, plus they had only been out of the amateurs a few years.

Also they put in trunking for floodlights but the costs would still be sizeable.

Edited by HibeeJibee

9 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Duns is also a cracking wee toun!!

The town square is Brill,great day out all round down there!!

Together with Kirkwall and Jedburgh, it also retains the ancient ball game - "Hand Ba" - but nowadays much emasculated and played by 1 or 2 dozen per side in the Market Square alone each Friday in Reivers Week.

No longer do the married men aim for the parish church pulpit each Shrove Tuesday while their batchelor rivals head for mills in the surrounding countryside.

the_village_ba_game_by_alexander_carse.j

DMGno0tW0AAnFEW.jpg:large

dooniesversuscroonies1.jpg?w=600

2 hours ago, Marten said:

That's what I hope as well, if there is ultimately a 3 tier set-up, maybe some borders teams might consider returning to senior football in tier 8 as it will be more their level.

Would be great to see Duns and Eyemouth make a return in a set-up where they can compete reasonably well without too much fear of being humped in league games.

The aim in the east should be to have a bottom tier which is attractive to amateur sides. Might need the ERJFA teams though to make it possible to have enough for the old junior structure of two regionwide leagues and north/south divisions at tier 8. Much better for Duns and Eyemouth if they ended up in a south division with the likes of Tweedmouth, Hawick, Peebles, Ormiston, Coldstream, Arniston plus Edinburgh-area clubs to compete with.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

The aim in the east should be to have a bottom tier which is attractive to amateur sides. Might need the ERJFA teams though to make it possible to have enough for the old junior structure of two regionwide leagues and north/south divisions at tier 8. Much better for Duns and Eyemouth if they ended up in a south division with the likes of Tweedmouth, Hawick, Peebles, Ormiston, Coldstream, Arniston plus Edinburgh-area clubs to compete with.

Hawick Royal Albert may be on the rise again, now that they have merged with amateurs Hawick United (?)

3 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Hawick Royal Albert may be on the rise again, now that they have merged with amateurs Hawick United (?)

Hopefully, few extra players kicking around since Selkirk went pop. The amateurs in Hawick have always been decent

Edited by Spyro

7 hours ago, naebor said:

I’ve heard they have a wee bit of money so will see how well they do.

Being a rugby town, it will never be easy.

The flooding of their ground a few years ago, was unfortunate, and some inexperienced Manager appointments, didn't help either. However,  I have always enjoyed my few visits to Albert Park.

Being a rugby town, it will never be easy.
The flooding of their ground a few years ago, was unfortunate, and some inexperienced Manager appointments, didn't help either. However,  I have always enjoyed my few visits to Albert Park.

You’re right about it being a rugby town, however the merger with the amateurs could prove wise as there will be much more local interest.

On 21/06/2019 at 01:31, Spyro said:

Hopefully, few extra players kicking around since Selkirk went pop. The amateurs in Hawick have always been decent

Few decent players at Selkirk signing up eos bottom league sides.. shame want happened the club as it was all the board that destroyed it and a manager I won’t name! . 

11 minutes ago, Border football said:

Few decent players at Selkirk signing up eos bottom league sides.. shame want happened the club as it was all the board that destroyed it and a manager I won’t name! . 

I’m gutted too mate! Loved playing down at Selkirk (when it wasn’t rained off!) in the Ammy’s, open-plan changing rooms and Roachy’s teamtalk from the shitter 😂

Always good lads and, win or lose, brilliant craic afterwards.  Even played us in a bounce game when the ref called the league game off...no need for a ref, all played in good spirits. 

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I’m gutted too mate! Loved playing down at Selkirk (when it wasn’t rained off!) in the Ammy’s, open-plan changing rooms and Roachy’s teamtalk from the shitter 😂

Always good lads and, win or lose, brilliant craic afterwards.  Even played us in a bounce game when the ref called the league game off...no need for a ref, all played in good spirits. 

Shame wanted to the club pal, great history and a real family oriented place! Some good players both sides! Maybe one day it’ll happen again. 

1 minute ago, Border football said:

Shame wanted to the club pal, great history and a real family oriented place! Some good players both sides! Maybe one day it’ll happen again. 

We can only hope...

Do you think half the battle there is actually how good the Border Amateur League is?

I’ve been all over the country, but there’s only one place where the amateur league is so well run and loved. I actually really miss it now that I’m away

5 minutes ago, Spyro said:

We can only hope...

Do you think half the battle there is actually how good the Border Amateur League is?

I’ve been all over the country, but there’s only one place where the amateur league is so well run and loved. I actually really miss it now that I’m away

I think it’s just the players, making the jump up! Some real talent in the league just need the right coaching, same with every amateur league.. some amateur teams run better than lowland teams/good eos teams.. and that’s a fact

• 1 month later...

Clocked the Syngenta/Little Kerse topic in the Youth Football forum. Apparently they have, or are, being kicked out of Little Kerse. Tried to find something about it on twitter to support that, couldn't find anything in specifically. However, this caught my eye

Looks like the Little Kerse facility are doing their own teams which might explain why they're moving the Syngenta teams out. Could also explain why the Syngenta team was scrambling around for a ground rather than investing in Little Kerse as this must have been going on in the background.

36 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Cant remember who it was on here that said maybe the EOS league should be doing due  diligence on clubs and that Sygenta might be a better fit for the league than Glenrothes.

I think it was super big al who seems to have confused glenrothes and syngenta 

44 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Cant remember who it was on here that said maybe the EOS league should be doing due  diligence on clubs and that Sygenta might be a better fit for the league than Glenrothes.

That was superbigal saying Glenrothes Strollers would be better than Juniors.

Incidentally - the new clubs have done well so far, Kinnoull with 3/3 and Glenrothes' only defeat a close game at Inverkeithing.