New clubs in the East of Scotland

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

This whining about Kinnoull being admitted late... would they have thought it sensible for the EOS to play with a vacancy, while there's an applicant club who wanted the spot? The junior season hasn't even finished yet so it's not like it's any skin off their nose.

This is why the world needs more nerds. As soon as that line was made public, I was straight on the OS maps to see how it affected various clubs. I thought it was interesting that Luncarty is highland, but Oban is lowland. It's probably true that those who decided on the line never thought about what it meant west of Dundee.

I can't believe their is people from junior circles complaining that eosfl are letting clubs in. Keep your own house in order junior friends and clubs wouldn't leave

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Hopefully it doesn't scupper their entry into the league but Kinnoull mention "subject to ground checks" in their statement, seems that there is/was a problem with their pavilion going by this report: https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/2019/05/kinnoull-v-forfar-albion.html

Nothing like an impending "ground check" by league officials to stimulate some Club Committee action.

Really pleased for Kinnoull - they now have an exciting future with the club heading in the right direction.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

I thought it was interesting that Luncarty is highland, but Oban is lowland. It's probably true that those who decided on the line never thought about what it meant west of Dundee.

You're probably right, but Oban in the LL would make quite a bit of sense in terms of travel, wouldn't it?

50 minutes ago, bendan said:

You're probably right, but Oban in the LL would make quite a bit of sense in terms of travel, wouldn't it?

They currently play in Scottish Amateur League, which otherwise comprises teams in and around Glasgow + Argyll. Plus they're in Argyll & Bute (and formerly Argyllshire).

To repeat though - when pyramid began I'd doubt those responsible even thought of this kind of side issue when they settled on a line of latitude over a physical feature or political boundary. Possibly the differences never even occurred to them... they'd just to delineate halfway between Aberdeen/Stirling. Even now the "Luncarty Scone Oban Question" is still only hypothetical.

Indeed an equivalent real life example has happened elsewhere - despite being an east coast port Montrose Roselea spent a season in North Juniors West District in 2016-17, alongside Moray/Highland teams, as an uncaveated longitudinal divider was applied. Thankfully they were promoted to the region-wide North Superleague at the first time of asking.

On paper it probably would be better tidied-up and set as the river itself, or the old counties, or similar - but it's hardly a burning issue. Anything completely arbitrary will have oddities... consider what Scottish League Cup seeding throws-up.

Edited by HibeeJibee

4 hours ago, bendan said:

Sure, but I'll bet it only happened by accident. And Fort William would probably like them on their side!

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

Sure, but I'll bet it only happened by accident. And Fort William would probably like them on their side!

Yes, I think there's no evidence at all that serious thought goes into these decisions.

Every time Oban comes up in a football discussion, I start fantasising about an away day up there.  If there's anyone in Oban thinking about entering the pyramid, I'll contribute to any crowdfunding effort!

2 hours ago, bendan said:

Yes, I think there's no evidence at all that serious thought goes into these decisions.

Every time Oban comes up in a football discussion, I start fantasising about an away day up there.  If there's anyone in Oban thinking about entering the pyramid, I'll contribute to any crowdfunding effort!

I keep meaning to get up to the Oban Saints summer tournament but we're always on holiday, or something comes up or I just forget. It's Saturday 13 July this year, dunno who's playing yet though, last season it was won by Dundee United with Hamilton Accies, St Anthonys, St Johnstone & Oban Saints all playing.

41 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I keep meaning to get up to the Oban Saints summer tournament but we're always on holiday, or something comes up or I just forget. It's Saturday 13 July this year, dunno who's playing yet though, last season it was won by Dundee United with Hamilton Accies, St Anthonys, St Johnstone & Oban Saints all playing.

I been at their pre season tournament a couple of times when Hearts have payed in it. It's a cracking day out, as long as it's a dry day.  

3 hours ago, GordonS said:
4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:
I been at their pre season tournament a couple of times when Hearts have played in it. It's a cracking day out, as long as it's a dry day.  

Ta. How is it for midges?

I can't recall it being a problem. The beer might have made me immune.

Hopefully it doesn't scupper their entry into the league but Kinnoull mention "subject to ground checks" in their statement, seems that there is/was a problem with their pavilion going by this report: https://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.com/2019/05/kinnoull-v-forfar-albion.html

Pitch looks good quality.
Having to get in a car for players to Change 10 minutes from pitch not ideal.
Having no hot food or toilets available for spectators not ideal.
Best of luck to them but a lot of work needed done when I watched a game up there.

Best of luck to them but a lot of work needed done when I watched a game up there.
The changing rooms are right next to the park.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:
7 hours ago, naebor said:

The changing rooms are right next to the park.

Going by the match report (25 May) the pavilion is out of order for some reason. Hence the car trip to temporary changing rooms. Hopefully it isn't a major problem and they've gotten it improved in the past couple of weeks

Gartcairn amateurs not decent? In terms of Amateur Scottish Cup progression? Always see the name mentioned.
Gartcairn switched to the juniors few years ago. Had back to back promotions so will be playing in 2nd tier of west next season. Also moving to a better equiped ground (still within the same complex). No clue if they still run an amateur branch

2 hours ago, Hertz1874 said:

Gartcairn amateurs not decent? In terms of Amateur Scottish Cup progression? Always see the name mentioned.

Was meaning the distance from their "pitch" to the changing rooms, mind you their cludgie is about a 10 minutes car ride away from the "pitch"