New clubs in the East of Scotland

2 hours ago, Rooster20 said:

Normally a lurker on this website but thought I'd pass on that I heard from a mate yesterday and apparently an SJFA east region club is leaning towards a late application to join the EoS.

If correct, and who knows unless there is a public statement from a club, then I would look at those south of Tay Bridge Juniors, which are taking a long term view, and have youth teams or plans for an Under 20's team in the next season. Are there any? Which ones would they be?

3 hours ago, G4Mac said:

Why is there such a reaction to this? One club had no ground to play from that met criteria and the other didn't even turn up to present their case..... Neither made it possible to say yes. Who plays where, what their ground is like or how open it is makes no difference to the outcome in this scenario.

For me, if you want to join, you get all your ducks in a row and make a strong case in front of those in attendance at the meeting. 

Must have been some case Inverkeithing put forward 12 months ago!

2 hours ago, Rooster20 said:

Normally a lurker on this website but thought I'd pass on that I heard from a mate yesterday and apparently an SJFA east region club is leaning towards a late application to join the EoS.

^^^seemed to have his finger on the pulse last time around, if you check through his old posts.

38 minutes ago, Dev said:

If correct, and who knows unless there is a public statement from a club, then I would look at those south of Tay Bridge Juniors, which are taking a long term view, and have youth teams or plans for an Under 20's team in the next season. Are there any? Which ones would they be?

These clubs were all SFA Quality Mark clubs:

Armadale Community Football Club,  Bathgate Thistle CFC,  Kennoway Star Hearts JFC,  Kinnoull JFC,  Kirkcaldy CFC,  Livingston CFC,  Newburgh FC,  Pumpherston United,  Rosyth FC,  Scone Thistle,  Tayport FC,  Thornton Hibs FC and  Whitburn FCA.

Also, I recall that a Lochore Welfare poster was asking about the Under 20’s a while ago.

Perhaps this might be part of the motivation if a current ERJFA club makes a move?

Edited by Dev
Up-dated

18 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Please post them on this forum

Overstenton Park, Glenrothes Strollers

Overstenton Park, Glenrothes Strollers

Glenrothes Strollers bid to join East of Scotland league rejected – but Juniors accepted

Glenrothes Strollers’ ambitions of playing East of Scotland football next season have been dashed after their application to join the senior league was rejected.

However, Glenrothes Juniors had their bid accepted after meeting all the requirements and will join the East of Scotland League in time for the start of next season.

The vote took place last week and the Strollers were knocked back due to their ground at Overstenton Park being “too open” with no enclosure, meaning fans could potentially come in and out from anywhere around the ground without having to pay to get in.

The Strollers could apply to the league again next year, which they intend to do. The Strollers resigned from the Kingdom of Fife amateur league in March.

The club will have a committee meeting on Monday to discuss the way forward.

Chair of the Strollers, Fiona Redpath told the Gazette: “It was a monetary thing, you have to pay to get into East of Scotland games and our park was too open.

“It is a little bit disappointing, there is a team all prepared and set up to move forward.

“It would have been beneficial for our younger players but we just have to look forward. We will look at this and hope to apply again in the future.

“There is still lots to be excited about at the club.

“We have just started our over 35s team on a Friday night, our girls section is continuing to grow and doing really well, and we’ve got a few of our teams in cup finals.”

Last Sunday the Strollers’ 2002 side won the League Cup final after a 3-2 win over Benarty on penalties.

Source: https://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/glenrothes-strollers-bid-to-join-east-of-scotland-league-rejected-but-juniors-accepted-1-4918587

I was the manager of Links United years ago and we played at the gas works in Edinburgh and on the next pitch to us was and EOS team, we applied to the EOS to join but got knocked back due to this and that, we stated the fact that the EOS team had the exact pitch set up as us, but and a big but was they had been in it for a long time when the criteria was different, Stirling Uni got in that year.

5 hours ago, superbigal said:

What would happen I wonder if an application came from a team ground sharing with peebles, ormiston or Stirling eos.

FWIW, Ormiston is now enclosed and has a smart new pavilion. Impressive work there.

5 hours ago, G4Mac said:

Why is there such a reaction to this? One club had no ground to play from that met criteria and the other didn't even turn up to present their case..... Neither made it possible to say yes. Who plays where, what their ground is like or how open it is makes no difference to the outcome in this scenario.

For me, if you want to join, you get all your ducks in a row and make a strong case in front of those in attendance at the meeting. 

I raised it fairly gently, I said just it seemed a little harsh on the face of it. My only observation is that, from what's been said here, Strollers were rejected because of their ground being too open, yet a couple of other clubs (at least) are in the same boat and Inverkeithing were in that position when they were accepted. But I'm happy to accept there were other factors.

35 minutes ago, Rooster20 said:

Given the club themselves are yet to publicly make any announcement I don't think it's my place to yet. I will say that it's not a Tayside club

My guess would be Kennoway Star - not got a lot of links with the Juniors, good youth set up and plenty EOS sides nearby.  Was surprised they didn’t go last year.  

Junior Teams with good youth set ups will get there better younger players taken by EOS clubs as it is perceived as a higher standard and a better pathway for progression. 

These Juniors will be the ones that suffer most.

Another surprising absence who were sometimes rumoured to be doing it last year were Bathgate Thistle (they could probably get licensed very easily even with the floodlight requirement tacked on) and they now have Blackburn playing EoS premier almost on their doorstep next season, who they probably view as a smaller club that should be in their shadow.

Apparently this time last year there were unsuccessful enquiries about membership from St Bernards and Musselburgh Windsor. This time there has been Syngenta and Glenrothes Strollers. There may be new clubs in the ERJFA e.g. at Linlithgow and Bo'ness plus perhaps Breadalbane and Dunblane(?)

Maybe the EoS should consider a Development Division for aspiring clubs - so that such clubs can work on up-grading whatever needs fixing with a view to moving up to the EoS proper. It could be a natural stepping stone for progressive clubs e.g. from the long list of SFA Quality Mark Juveniles and the Amateur leagues. This could, more or less, sit alongside the Lowland Under 20's Leagues. 

Are there other clubs out there which may be good candidates for a future EoS place i.e. in addition to current ERJFA clubs which, hopefully, will find a peaceful way to merge with the EoS, in due course?

12 minutes ago, Dev said:

Apparently this time last year there were unsuccessful enquiries about membership from St Bernards and Musselburgh Windsor. This time there has been Syngenta and Glenrothes Strollers. There may be new clubs in the ERJFA e.g. at Linlithgow and Bo'ness plus perhaps Breadalbane and Dunblane(?)

Maybe the EoS should consider a Development Division for aspiring clubs - so that such clubs can work on up-grading whatever needs fixing with a view to moving up to the EoS proper. It could be a natural stepping stone for progressive clubs e.g. from the long list of SFA Quality Mark Juveniles and the Amateur leagues. This could, more or less, sit alongside the Lowland Under 20's Leagues. 

Are there other clubs out there which may be good candidates for a future EoS place i.e. in addition to current ERJFA clubs which, hopefully, will find a peaceful way to merge with the EoS, in due course?

I have had similar thoughts today.  To build up the numbers the top Amateur clubs in the East might be invited to participate.  Pitches initially would just be roped off and perhaps clubs could participate in the Scottish Amateur Cup.

Basically the Development Division could incubate future Senior Clubs and the EoSFL Management could perhaps help facilitate and help iron out problems to enable progression.

Examples might be taken from Step 7 Leagues (Levell 11) in England.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

...and I think there has been stuff posted on here about Peebles trying to do work to secure their EoS membership.

When I was at Peebles a couple of weeks ago there was no sign of any work to enclose the ground. In fact, I think it must have one of the most easily accessed seated stands in Scotland. In most of the country it would have been ruined by vandalism long ago.