New clubs in the East of Scotland

1 hour ago, gaz5 said:
2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:
The 12 East of Scotland members voting on it was presumably last year's 12, as the juniors etc wouldn't have voting rights yet. But wouldn't Hawick have had voting rights since they were relegated rather than joined?

Yes, one club not in attendance so essentially an abstention I think was the reason for it being 12.

Disappointing for both aspiring clubs. I understand the Syngenta rejection because of uncertainty over their proposed grounds, but surely Glenrothes Strollers could have erected a fence in time, or given a guarantee of completion by the end of July this year ?

9 hours ago, Robert James said:

Disappointing for both aspiring clubs. I understand the Syngenta rejection because of uncertainty over their proposed grounds, but surely Glenrothes Strollers could have erected a fence in time, or given a guarantee of completion by the end of July this year ?

That might have worked if they had bothered turning up for the EGM and put a case across like the other two clubs did.

Without knowing the details, it seems a little harsh. There's no fence at Peebles and you can wander over from the riverside path or from the gate on the main road. Dog walkers come and go, watching for a while. When I was there recently nobody was taking money, not even a bucket collection. There's nothing to prevent walk-ups at Stirling EOS, only a voluntary bucket collection after the game has started. Ormiston had no fence until well into this season. Coldstream has a public football right along the side of the pitch and no means or right to stop people using it. I've no idea what Glenrothes Strollers' ground is like, but I find it hard to believe it's even more open than those.

18 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Without knowing the details, it seems a little harsh. There's no fence at Peebles and you can wander over from the riverside path or from the gate on the main road. Dog walkers come and go, watching for a while. When I was there recently nobody was taking money, not even a bucket collection. There's nothing to prevent walk-ups at Stirling EOS, only a voluntary bucket collection after the game has started. Ormiston had no fence until well into this season. Coldstream has a public football right along the side of the pitch and no means or right to stop people using it. I've no idea what Glenrothes Strollers' ground is like, but I find it hard to believe it's even more open than those.

You can get a good impression of the ground by looking at the aerial view on Google maps.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

I wasn't sure how up-to-date that was.

Nor me, but it does give some idea of scale, and I doubt if much has changed since the photo was taken. I may be wrong though, as I'm  not up to date on any changes.

33 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I dont think the 'public' path is in use on match days, there is usually someone on the bottom area and at the main entrance collecting entrance fees and selling the raffle/draw tickets.

1 minute ago, Hertz1874 said:

I dont think the 'public' path is in use on match days, there is usually someone on the bottom area and at the main entrance collecting entrance fees and selling the raffle/draw tickets.

Assuming you are referring to Coldstream's "public footpath",   your understanding is correct from  when I was last there. 

Anybody can wander around Peebles Rovers' Whitestone Park - it's in the middle of a public park, and is not separated off by a fence. I was there just last week, and quite a few dog walkers stopped by for five minutes and then continued on their walk. At another point, some cyclists came along the river oath, saw that there was a batch on, and came over to gave a look for a few minutes. There was a trestle table on one of the paths leading into the park with someone collecting entrance fees, but most of the 150 or so in attendance came into the park via the main gates - not where the trestle table was - and just walked over to the pitch without paying to get in. 

There's no way that Glenrothes Strollers' ground is more open that. 

39 minutes ago, fatbadger442 said:

Anybody can wander around Peebles Rovers' Whitestone Park - it's in the middle of a public park, and is not separated off by a fence. I was there just last week, and quite a few dog walkers stopped by for five minutes and then continued on their walk. At another point, some cyclists came along the river oath, saw that there was a batch on, and came over to gave a look for a few minutes. There was a trestle table on one of the paths leading into the park with someone collecting entrance fees, but most of the 150 or so in attendance came into the park via the main gates - not where the trestle table was - and just walked over to the pitch without paying to get in. 

There's no way that Glenrothes Strollers' ground is more open that. 

Maybe because some clubs with open grounds were already members of the EoS that they have dispensation. Certainly some have done lots of work in the last year or two. Similarly any clubs with open grounds etc which currently play in the East Region Juniors would, presumably, be entitled to the same favoured treatment? It would be a bit  tough on other clubs wanting to join the EoS but, if they contacted the EoS and prepared plans etc for up-grades to their grounds, perhaps they would up-grade in order to be acceptable at a later date. At least, if they checked with the EoS they would receive comments/advice re what is required. 

3 hours ago, Hertz1874 said:

I'm sure I saw folk come in the town end and not pay, including some women with kids, so I wondered if it might be a right of way or something and that the fee is actually not compulsory. But maybe they were just getting in free.

2 hours ago, Dev said:

Maybe because some clubs with open grounds were already members of the EoS that they have dispensation. Certainly some have done lots of work in the last year or two. Similarly any clubs with open grounds etc which currently play in the East Region Juniors would, presumably, be entitled to the same favoured treatment? It would be a bit  tough on other clubs wanting to join the EoS but, if they contacted the EoS and prepared plans etc for up-grades to their grounds, perhaps they would up-grade in order to be acceptable at a later date. At least, if they checked with the EoS they would receive comments/advice re what is required. 

As the EoSL deadline for applications has now been extended (ie no closing date quoted), perhaps Glenrothes Strollers should resubmit their application, but only if they give a written guarantee that the ground (main pitch) will be enclosed by the end of July 2019 ?  The Strollers would also be required to attend the EoSL AGM to present their case, and answer any questions in relation to any other shortcomings, which I assume have been drawn to their attention following the EGM. 

There may be some other late applications, which would need to be considered at the forthcoming AGM, as I believe was the situation at last year's EoSL AGM ?  So they may not be alone.

Syngenta were rejected as they did not actually have a ground at the time of the meeting. 

Glenrothes didn't turn up at the meeting to argue their case. 

Why is there such a reaction to this? One club had no ground to play from that met criteria and the other didn't even turn up to present their case..... Neither made it possible to say yes. Who plays where, what their ground is like or how open it is makes no difference to the outcome in this scenario.

For me, if you want to join, you get all your ducks in a row and make a strong case in front of those in attendance at the meeting. 

1 hour ago, G4Mac said:

Syngenta were rejected as they did not actually have a ground at the time of the meeting. 

Glenrothes didn't turn up at the meeting to argue their case. 

Why is there such a reaction to this? One club had no ground to play from that met criteria and the other didn't even turn up to present their case..... Neither made it possible to say yes. Who plays where, what their ground is like or how open it is makes no difference to the outcome in this scenario.

For me, if you want to join, you get all your ducks in a row and make a strong case in front of those in attendance at the meeting. 

There's just been two newspaper articles on the topic with both clubs saying they'll try again next year.

Isn't natural for it still to be a topic of discussion?

1 hour ago, Rooster20 said:

Normally a lurker on this website but thought I'd pass on that I heard from a mate yesterday and apparently an SJFA east region club is leaning towards a late application to join the EoS.

If a number of the leading clubs remaining in the ERSJFA, particularly those in Fife & West Lothian, were to get together and agree on a strategy to see them apply to the EoSFL then other clubs could very well follow and a second and final mass exodus would see them each fill spots in next seasons Tier 7 conferences that would go a long way to providing them with a semblance of the local football they desire, coupled with the reintroduction of old rivalries with their ex-Junior foes from East Lothian as well as the introduction of new foes in the shape of 'original' EoSFL member clubs. All of this together with being inside a progressive and inclusive organisation. I would have thought this would be a truly enticing prospect.

1 hour ago, Rooster20 said:

Normally a lurker on this website but thought I'd pass on that I heard from a mate yesterday and apparently an SJFA east region club is leaning towards a late application to join the EoS.

It would be interesting if that turns out to be a West Lothian club like Fauldhouse, as that could result in others following their lead.