New clubs in the East of Scotland

2 hours ago, Robert James said:

You can't have relegation from the HFL unless you also have promotion, otherwise in 5 years this league would only have 13 clubs (assuming no club is promoted to, or relegated from, the SPFL Div 2). Also without a north tier 6, these relegated clubs would be outside the pyramid with nowhere to go.

EGM for EoSFL to consider new applicants on 25th April apparently ?

I love the way that you just keep bumping reconstruction threads by asking never ending questions that no one knows the answer to.

4 hours ago, edinabear said:

I love the way that you just keep bumping reconstruction threads by asking never ending questions that no one knows the answer to.

Quite a few reconstruction questions do get answered on these threads... Certainly more than in regular media stories or anywhere else.

10 hours ago, edinabear said:

The EoSL has advised its clubs that there are 3 new applicants. Names of clubs  will be disclosed at the EGM on 25th April..

There are 39 EoSL clubs at present, so the arithmetic for next season is interesting.  If we predict that Whitehill will be relegated (they may submit an application to stay in the Lowland, to fill the 'Selkirk vacancy'), and also that 2 current EoSL clubs will be promoted to the Lowland, ie the champions + the successful applicant for the 16th spot (this assumes licensing for both which is still unclear (SFA Board Meeting on 18th April may resolve this issue ?), then assuming no existing clubs resign from the EoSL, we would have:

* current 39 clubs + 3 new applicants (if all 3 accepted) + 1 if Whitehill relegated - 2 clubs promoted to the SLFL = 41 (net) clubs for next season 

Assuming my forecast of 41 clubs is correct (it probably won't be) it would mean :

(A) 16 (premier) at tier 6  + 13 (division 1) at tier 7 + 12 (division 2) at tier 8 = 41 clubs

OR

(B) 16 premier + 2 'conferences at tier 7 (for one season only) of 13 & 12 = 41 clubs

OR 

(C) 16 premier  + 2 regional divisions, both at Division 1 level (tier 7) of 13 & 12 clubs = 41 clubs 

However there is still an unknown factor, should Cove Rangers win the SPFL club 42 play-off, thereby relegating either Berwick Rangers or Albion Rovers to the Lowland.  This would have a knock on of 1 extra club being in the EoSL, as only 1 club (not 2) would be promoted from the EoSL to the SLFL for 2019/20 . It also assumes that no West Junior club will successfully apply to join the Lowland by filling the 'Selkirk vacancy', which is possibly if they are awarded an SFA licence in time to meet the SLFL deadline. Unlikely, but we have been told that  2 West Juniors have already applied for an SFA licence. Either of these 2 unknown factors would mean increasing the EoSL by an extra club, giving 42 overall. 

Interesting.

21 minutes ago, Robert James said:

The EoSL has advised its clubs that there are 3 new applicants. Names of clubs  will be disclosed at the EGM on 25th April..

There are 39 EoSL clubs at present, so the arithmetic for next season is interesting.  If we predict that Whitehill will be relegated (they may submit an application to stay in the Lowland, to fill the 'Selkirk vacancy'), and also that 2 current EoSL clubs will be promoted to the Lowland, ie the champions + the successful applicant for the 16th spot (this assumes licensing for both which is still unclear (SFA Board Meeting on 18th April may resolve this issue ?), then assuming no existing clubs resign from the EoSL, we would have:

* current 39 clubs + 3 new applicants (if all 3 accepted) + 1 if Whitehill relegated - 2 clubs promoted to the SLFL = 41 (net) clubs for next season 

Assuming my forecast of 41 clubs is correct (it probably won't be) it would mean :

(A) 16 (premier) at tier 6  + 13 (division 1) at tier 7 + 12 (division 2) at tier 8 = 41 clubs

OR

(B) 16 premier + 2 'conferences at tier 7 (for one season only) of 13 & 12 = 41 clubs

OR 

(C) 16 premier  + 2 regional divisions, both at Division 1 level (tier 7) of 13 & 12 clubs = 41 clubs 

However there is still an unknown factor, should Cove Rangers win the SPFL club 42 play-off, thereby relegating either Berwick Rangers or Albion Rovers to the Lowland.  This would have a knock on of 1 extra club being in the EoSL, as only 1 club (not 2) would be promoted from the EoSL to the SLFL for 2019/20 . It also assumes that no West Junior club will successfully apply to join the Lowland by filling the 'Selkirk vacancy', which is possibly if they are awarded an SFA licence in time to meet the SLFL deadline. Unlikely, but we have been told that  2 West Juniors have already applied for an SFA licence. Either of these 2 unknown factors would mean increasing the EoSL by an extra club, giving 42 overall. 

Interesting.

everyone not in the premier league is at tier 7 we already know that

26 minutes ago, Robert James said:

OR

OR 

Interesting.

Between these 3 options, I think C makes the most sense. It also makes it relatively easy to slot new clubs in on tier 7 if there are future applications from the 2020/21 season.

Also, Cove Rangers getting promoted doesn't automatically mean an extra club in the EoSL, as Dalbeattie Star are 14th in the LL and I assume they'd get relegated to the SoSL. So if they don't get re-elected to fill Selkirk's vacancy, it won't affect the EoSL.

6 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

everyone not in the premier league is at tier 7 we already know that

If correct, Option (A) is ruled out

Just now, Marten said:

Between these 3 options, I think C makes the most sense. It also makes it relatively easy to slot new clubs in on tier 7 if there are future applications from the 2020/21 season.

Also, Cove Rangers getting promoted doesn't automatically mean an extra club in the EoSL, as Dalbeattie Star are 14th in the LL and I assume they'd get relegated to the SoSL. So if they don't get re-elected to fill Selkirk's vacancy, it won't affect the EoSL.

15th & 16th yes, but does the Lowland constitution/rules allow for the 14th placed club to be relegated ? I had assumed not. 

Just now, Robert James said:

If correct, Option (A) is ruled out

15th & 16th yes, but does the Lowland constitution/rules allow for the 14th placed club to be relegated ? I had assumed not. 

It's the bottom club and second bottom club, so Dalbeattie are still at risk of relegation.

4 minutes ago, Marten said:

Absolute farce the season is almost finished and nobody actually knows what is going to happen 

27 minutes ago, Marten said:

You're basically stuck nit picking over which Edinburgh clubs go Northwestern or Southeastern. Right now you'd be looking at something like:

image.png.63b47c698895486f165d60d7dac8121b.png

Conferences to set up a 14 team EoS First Division might be better and allows for it to be ripped up for any potential merger/mass exodus from the East Juniors.

Those two leagues look very competitive and in my view conferences under any Premier league aren't a bad idea. It is so thing a little bit different and makes for some new rivalries to be formed. I'm not sure a straight divisional approach with the numbers we have is a 100percent requirement. But again, only my view. 

You're basically stuck nit picking over which Edinburgh clubs go Northwestern or Southeastern. Right now you'd be looking at something like:
Conferences to set up a 14 team EoS First Division might be better and allows for it to be ripped up for any potential merger/mass exodus from the East Juniors.
That ilustrates why regional doesnt work. Blackburn to St. Andrews wouldnt be regional. Two seeded conferences next season in order to form a 14 team first division for 2020-21.

13 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

Those two leagues look very competitive and in my view conferences under any Premier league aren't a bad idea. It is so thing a little bit different and makes for some new rivalries to be formed. I'm not sure a straight divisional approach with the numbers we have is a 100percent requirement. But again, only my view. 

Just using this year's standings to estimate what a First & Second Divison would look like:

EoS First Division

1. Arniston Rangers
  2. Blackburn United
  3. Coldstream
  4. Craigroyston
  5. Dalkeith Thistle
  6. Easthouses Lily MW
  7. Haddington Athletic
  8. Heriot-Watt University
  9. Lothian Thistle HV
  10. Oakley United
  11. Peebles Rovers
  12. St Andrews United
  13. Tynecastle
  14. University of Stirling EoS

EoS Second Division

1. Burntisland Shipyard
  2. Dunipace
  3. Edinburgh United
  4. Eyemouth United
  5. Glenrothes
  6. Glenrothes Strollers
  7. Hawick Royal Albert
  8. Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts
  9. Ormiston
  10. Syngenta
  11. Tweedmouth Rangers

If you aren't going to get a number of East Junior clubs to move over. And you have to work with what the EoS have got I think the tiered approach looks better.

48 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Just using this year's standings to estimate what a First & Second Divison would look like:

EoS First Division

1. Arniston Rangers
  2. Blackburn United
  3. Coldstream
  4. Craigroyston
  5. Dalkeith Thistle
  6. Easthouses Lily MW
  7. Haddington Athletic
  8. Heriot-Watt University
  9. Lothian Thistle HV
  10. Oakley United
  11. Peebles Rovers
  12. St Andrews United
  13. Tynecastle
  14. University of Stirling EoS

EoS Second Division

1. Burntisland Shipyard
  2. Dunipace
  3. Edinburgh United
  4. Eyemouth United
  5. Glenrothes
  6. Glenrothes Strollers
  7. Hawick Royal Albert
  8. Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts
  9. Ormiston
  10. Syngenta
  11. Tweedmouth Rangers

If you aren't going to get a number of East Junior clubs to move over. And you have to work with what the EoS have got I think the tiered approach looks better.

I disagree and whilst I understand the traditional tiered approach most like to have in place, this wasn't clearly set out at the start of the season and to relegate a team or teams two leagues at this stage would be unfair. The top division idea for the top 5s was clear but the relegation of clubs two leagues was not. I do like a conference approach, it allows for free flowing divisions and makes things more interesting rather than a tiered approach. Only my view though. And an 11 team bottom league isn't as appealing as a 13 team conference surely? 

10 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

I disagree and whilst I understand the traditional tiered approach most like to have in place, this wasn't clearly set out at the start of the season and to relegate a team or teams two leagues at this stage would be unfair. The top division idea for the top 5s was clear but the relegation of clubs two leagues was not. I do like a conference approach, it allows for free flowing divisions and makes things more interesting rather than a tiered approach. Only my view though. And an 11 team bottom league isn't as appealing as a 13 team conference surely? 

It was detailed in the EoSFL's own Fixture List for the season that everyone outwith the Top 5 (or 6th) would be in Tier 7:

image.png.8d3eae12b48c20cdab319b85b91ed7a8.png

The tiered approach is for 2020-21. I'd have seeded Conferences for 2019-20 to establish it

And you might think that 11 team bottom division isn't appealing but out of those clubs who do you think would win it? You look at the 11 listed and Glenrothes would probably be seen as the favourites due to their Junior standing, but the other 10?

How many would otherwise be stuck in the bottom half of a regional Division with single digit wins every year. Personally I would rather be in the hunt for promotion or a Division championship.

Agree, I think we need to go to a divisional set-up, but for 2020-2021and not next season as it would be unfair on clubs who weren't aware this would happen.

Two seeded Conferences next season to find 12-14 clubs to make a first division the following season.

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:
3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

That ilustrates why regional doesnt work. Blackburn to St. Andrews wouldnt be regional. Two seeded conferences next season in order to form a 14 team first division for 2020-21.

Might not be something Blackburn to worry about anymore. Heriot-Watt and St Andrews both losing just now. Blackburn win in their last game of the season and they'd be in the EoS Premier due to their superior goal difference.

Might not be something Blackburn to worry about anymore. Heriot-Watt and St Andrews both losing just now. Blackburn win in their last game of the season and they'd be in the EoS Premier due to their superior goal difference.
Correct, but absolutely no chickens counted by me. Paties Road a hard place to go and get a result.

I agree that longer term a tiered approach may be best but for next year a conference set up to establish a 1st division is the fairest approach. At least then every club starts next year knowing what they are aiming for and where they will play depending on their league finish. 

I look forward to seeing all unfold for the rest if this season and find myself excited by what next year holds already.