New clubs in the East of Scotland

I just think the 2 parallel leagues is a shite idea.

I quite like the idea. Something different with the potential to be interesting at both ends, even if only for a season.

I know it's a totally personal thing and I absolutely get why some people don't fancy it (and I may change my mind after a season of seeing how it works) but as I say, I quite like the idea on paper and I'm quite interested in seeing how it works next year.

I'm happy to give it a go and see how it works then make a call on it after seeing how it plays out due a season, good or bad.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

As HJ says I was referring to using some sort of qualifying league system to decide who goes where for the full season - I've seen it mentioned here a couple of times before. I understand the downside though of having a short qualifying system which affects the whole season.

21 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

This imo is what should happen, although you’re never going to make everyone happy, regardless of how it is going to be done. I just think the 2 parallel leagues is a shite idea. As for the f**k the juniors, look after the existing members idea, deary fucking me. Let’s see close, competitive games throughout the season

Hold on... are you doubling-up these Qualifying Leagues as sections for the EOS League Cup - or are you having EOS Preliminary Leagues and separate EOS Qualifying Leagues, or indeed a straight knockout EOS League Cup? None of the aforesaid to be confused with the Preliminary Round of the EOS Qualifying Cup, of course...

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

I quite like the idea. Something different with the potential to be interesting at both ends, even if only for a season.

I know it's a totally personal thing and I absolutely get why some people don't fancy it (and I may change my mind after a season of seeing how it works) but as I say, I quite like the idea on paper and I'm quite interested in seeing how it works next year.

I'm happy to give it a go and see how it works then make a call on it after seeing how it plays out due a season, good or bad.

I would say this is what will happen gaz, if so, as you say, see how it goes. Don’t think it will be a disaster, just think there will be a few tankings for some along the way. I understand it’s tier 6 clubs are looking for competing in, not tier 7. Whether it be a tier 6 and 7 using a qualifying league or 2 tier 6 leagues, there is still a problem how they’d be seeded. 

I quite like the idea of parallel conferences but to ensure equity and to avoid any complaints about the strengths of the two conferences I'd have the 7th placed team in one play the 8th of the other and vice versa over two games at the end of the season for the 13th and 14th spaces in the following seasons Tier 6. Adds a bit of spice, drama and avoids too many complaints.

I have been following Keltys exploits in the EOS and with no disrespect to the existing members in the current EOS set up to be perfectly honest there is only really one decent team LTHV and two or three other good teams. Bonnyrigg Rose would batter the weaker teams in the current league similar to Kelty this season and would beat the vast majority of the new teams with only HofB Camelon and Musselburgh putting up a decent performance (no disrespect). So Sunday League surely you want a competative league or are you too scared that your team will get battered by Dunipace (no disrespect to Dunipace) and other junior teams. No idea how the league(s) will be set up but I for one am looking forward to visiting new grounds and meeting new supporters. The juniors will be an assest and will bring back a competativeness that is lacking in the present league. I will miss the derbies against Nitten and the games against Lithgow/Boness and games in the Scottish such as Auchinleck/Glenafton etc but this is the way forward. So Sunday League make sure that you visit all these new grounds or stay at home and watch the conference league on BT!!!!

See you in the Bonnyrigg shed!!!!

Worth saying something on both these lines actually operated in the EOS League for 2 seasons in the 1960s.

When it expanded beyond 16 clubs for 1966-67 the clubs got split into Edinburgh and Border sectionals, the top halves of which then combined as 'A' series and the bottom halves as 'B' series, although by the look of it clubs only played each other once in that second stage.

For 1967-68 there were 2 parallel conferences - Lothian (including Vale of Leithen as their players were largely city based) and Border, the respective winners progressing to a Championship Playoff. Spookily that ended-up Vale of Leithen v Hawick Royal Albert, the 2 clubs who could descend from LL.

Mind you - this was the height of Psychedelia and the 'Swinging Sixties' :ph34r:...

34 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I quite like the idea of parallel conferences but to ensure equity and to avoid any complaints about the strengths of the two conferences I'd have the 7th placed team in one play the 8th of the other and vice versa over two games at the end of the season for the 13th and 14th spaces in the following seasons Tier 6. Adds a bit of spice, drama and avoids too many complaints.

Probably need that anyway? If you think about it: you may need a series of positional playoffs, or at least a 'floating' playoff, depending on how many clubs were promoted to and/or relegated from LL :unsure:? e.g. Cove+Threave win tomorrow = 2 gain; whereas Cowdenbeath+Kelty win = 0 gain; combination = 1 gain. I'm concluding...

giphy.gif

Edited by HibeeJibee

Got a simple idea for new leagues Eos stays as is with existing clubs , new clubs form new league below with 6 promoted and 6 relegated for first two seasons then to 3 places thereafter wouldn’t take long to get a natural order so to speak , just an idea 

So if they set out two seeded, parallel leagues for this season only, to find out a two tier approach for 19/20 season - what happens if there is a big influx from disillusioned juniors next season. Have to do it again?

1 hour ago, TheLad said:

So if they set out two seeded, parallel leagues for this season only, to find out a two tier approach for 19/20 season - what happens if there is a big influx from disillusioned juniors next season. Have to do it again?

Three main choices for the EoS IMO :-

(1) create a '3rd division' at tier 8 (if there are less than 32 clubs for 2018/19, eg 30 clubs, there would also be 2 vacancies at tier 7 for 2019/20, which would probably be filled by the 2 highest placed Junior applicants)

or

(2) create two parallel leagues at tier 7 (for one season only), and re-run the system which will be applied next season for tier 6 (as already agreed by the EoS)

or

(3) create two permanent leagues at tier 7 level, as '2nd divisions' North & South.

NB : There are advantages and disadvantages for all 3 options.

Edited by Robert James

12 hours ago, superbigal said:

Expect a few more late applicants

Yes, especially as today's posts on the Junior Future forum, regarding the (alleged) decisions of the PWG, has apparently kicked into touch (and beyond ?) any suggestion that there could be 2 East pyramid feeder leagues.

Interesting reading, but an official announcement of the PWG's decisions is needed so that clubs (like Dunbar, Dundonald, Clydebank, etc), know where they stand - for now and for 2019/20.

Edited by Robert James

22 hours ago, edinabear said:

Need to really get Stirling Uni EOS to leave, now that the nature of the league is changing. No space for reserve/colt sides.

Cowdenbeath survive, 5-3 on penalties after 1-1 draw with Cove, and will not be joining the Lowland League next season.

Vale of Leithen reprieved from relegation to the EoS.

Just now, Robert James said:

Lowland League Vale of Leithen won't now be relegated to the EoS

I understand how the system works and that VoL are safe because Cowden won today.  Re-read the part I quoted in your post...