New clubs in the East of Scotland

16 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

OK, assuming everyone follows through with their applications, could this be close to the final list? 15 in total, 14 for next season;

Bathgate Thistle, Blackburn United, Bonnyrigg Rose, Camelon, Clydebank (deferred to 2019/20), Crossgates Primrose, Dalkeith Thistle, Dundonald Bluebell, Dunipace, Easthouses Lily, Edinburgh United, Haddington Athletic, Hill of Beath, Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts, Musselburgh Athletic.

I thought Tranent had applied and more from the South. Craigroyston?

On 14/04/2018 at 07:53, skynews said:

Easthouses lily have a cheek to apply. They packed their bags and left, now they running back with tails hanging. Jokers

I'm with you...I'd be telling them to bolt

1 hour ago, magoo said:

I'm with you...I'd be telling them to bolt

I think it would be petty for the EoS to reject them on the basis that they previously left the league for the juniors.  If they meet the requirements then they should be in.   They've also built a new stand.

On 13/04/2018 at 18:53, Burnie_man said:

It was up until 1975, but no longer.  So from the current boundaries we're the first since 1931, but pre-WWII will suit just as well, it was a long time ago 8)

Boundary changes are a bit of an obsession with me, having been brought up in County Durham only to be dumped into the ridiculous 'Tyne and Wear' in the 70's shake up.

Surely you can see the ridiculousness of using a modern boundary that was set up in 1975 to justify your team being the only team from that area in a league in 87 years when the area you are using a reference point didn't even exist at the time?

I am an interested outsider on this thread as a ground hopper who has been to every one of the 42 in the Scottish league and who has also attended all 4 'ground hops'. I never really got this 'Junior','Senior' thing and I am encouraged to see what appears to be at least a start of a c change of heart from the Junior ranks. If your pyramid is to work successfully, then it needs to encompass ALL the clubs. The sub arguments about how the clubs are split this season and next are irrelevant in the great scheme of things. If ALL your clubs were in the pyramid, things would work themselves out for the most part over time. Everyone will find their own level and leagues become more competitive except at the very bottom, but that's fine as well.

I also don't understand why the SFA would offer cup slots to the Juniors. If they are outside the pyramid then leave them to get on with that but don't give them prizes like SFA cup slots.

Finally, why don't ALL teams in your pyramid get an SFA Cup entry if they want it? Just add some preliminary rounds like we do in England? Pretty much every club up to non league level 6 in England is in the FA Cup (that's 10 levels all in).

4 minutes ago, Roker Rover said:

Surely you can see the ridiculousness of using a modern boundary that was set up in 1975 to justify your team being the only team from that area in a league in 87 years when the area you are using a reference point didn't even exist at the time?

1931 or 1939, seriously I'm not losing any sleep over it :geek

10 hours ago, Roker Rover said:

Finally, why don't ALL teams in your pyramid get an SFA Cup entry if they want it? Just add some preliminary rounds like we do in England? Pretty much every club up to non league level 6 in England is in the FA Cup (that's 10 levels all in).

I would like this too, but I think the main reason they don't (nowadays at least) is to improve standards across the board by encouraging teams to obtain licenses.  Scottish Cup participation seems to be one of the biggest incentives for many clubs who go through the licensing process.  Hopefully longer term licensing can be used for league entry, and everyone can enter the Scottish Cup.

11 hours ago, Roker Rover said:

I also don't understand why the SFA would offer cup slots to the Juniors. If they are outside the pyramid then leave them to get on with that but don't give them prizes like SFA cup slots.

A bit contradictory what you're saying there. As the pyramid only dates back five years, I don't see enough reason to undo a decision to include the Juniors from the previous decade. It was put before the SFA members a year or two ago and rejected. The Northern League in England was outwith the pyramid as recently as 1991 but they weren't denied entry to the FA Cup and FA Trophy. It goes back to why the SFA offered the slots in the first place. Most of the bigger clubs in Scottish non-league play Junior football. Their century-long omission from the national cup was anachronistic. I'd say the taster that clubs like Bonnyrigg, Bo'ness, Linlithgow, Talbot etc have had of playing in the 'big' cup has led to the current situation with the pyramid swelling in number. Not all clubs who have played in the Scottish Cup are necessarily on board with the pyramid but it has been wilfully miss-sold / mis-represented by the SJFA leadership out of self-interest and there has not, IMO, been a huge amount of informed decision-making. You also have to bear in mind most committees are steered by small 'c' conservative middle aged / older men - not the group of society most likely to welcome uncertain change when the message they have been getting is peppered with words like 'inferior', 'Elgin', 'cost', 'public parks', 'Tuesday nights in Stranraer', 'history', 'the grade', 'superior', wha's like us' etc...

The SFA now offers a slot to virtually all adult clubs in Scottish saturday football, full-time, semi-pro, amateur or recreational - by winning the 3 Junior Superleagues, by winning the Junior Cup, the amateurs get a chance by winning the Scottish Amateur Cup. For the clubs within the pyramid (but with zero intent on being promoted in some cases) who by chance and fortune are members of an affiliated League (as opposed to affiliated association like SJFA), they can qualify by winning their league (East of Scotland and South of Scotland) or by winning the super consolation cup, the East/South Shield (of whatever the official title is), for winners of the South's Alba Cup and the East's Alex Jack Cup.

Edited by cmontheloknow

38 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

A bit contradictory what you're saying there. As the pyramid only dates back five years, I don't see enough reason to undo a decision to include the Juniors from the previous decade. It was put before the SFA members a year or two ago and rejected. The Northern League in England was outwith the pyramid as recently as 1991 but they weren't denied entry to the FA Cup and FA Trophy. It goes back to why the SFA offered the slots in the first place. Most of the bigger clubs in Scottish non-league play Junior football. Their century-long omission from the national cup was anachronistic. I'd say the taster that clubs like Bonnyrigg, Bo'ness, Linlithgow, Talbot etc have had of playing in the 'big' cup has led to the current situation with the pyramid swelling in number. Not all clubs who have played in the Scottish Cup are necessarily on board with the pyramid but it has been wilfully miss-sold / mis-represented by the SJFA leadership out of self-interest and there has not, IMO, been a huge amount of informed decision-making. You also have to bear in mind most committees are steered by small 'c' conservative middle aged / older men - not the group of society most likely to welcome uncertain change when the message they have been getting is peppered with words like 'inferior', 'Elgin', 'cost', 'public parks', 'Tuesday nights in Stranraer', 'history', 'the grade', 'superior', wha's like us' etc...

The SFA now offers a slot to virtually all adult clubs in Scottish saturday football, full-time, semi-pro, amateur or recreational - by winning the 3 Junior Superleagues, by winning the Junior Cup, the amateurs get a chance by winning the Scottish Amateur Cup. For the clubs within the pyramid (but with zero intent on being promoted in some cases) who by chance and fortune are members of an affiliated League (as opposed to affiliated association like SJFA), they can qualify by winning their league (East of Scotland and South of Scotland) or by winning the super consolation cup, the East/South Shield (of whatever the official title is), for winners of the South's Alba Cup and the East's Alex Jack Cup.

By bringing  the Junior champion clubs, the Junior  Cup winners, and the Amateur Cup winners, the SFA has recently played its hand better than it gets credit for. As the Scottish Cup is also open to any UNLICENSED club in the EoS, and the SoS Leagues, if they finish as champions (eg LTHV this season), the SFA should also extend this invitation to the Champions of the North Caledonian League.

Or is that this region of Scotland is too remote, too cold/wet, and existing clubs don't fancy an away tie so far north ?  Orkney FC has just won the NCL championship for the first time in its history. Who fancies a trip to Kirkwall ? Probably not the SFA.

Come on the SFA, get your act together, be inclusive, and give parity to the NCL.