New clubs in the East of Scotland

I'm totally against the idea or colt teams in the pyramid.  It might help my own side, Hearts, but that doesn't change my opinion.  I think the benefits to the colt teams is questionable anyway. 

I think it would be better with no reserve teams in the East/South leagues but it's not a pressing matter right now.  Stirling Uni aren't winning the league and preventing other teams being promoted and they also aren't taking the place of a first team (there are only 11 teams in the league so plenty of space for more).  

The colt idea seems to me like an excuse to get the Old Firm colt teams into the league and I'd be surprised if those running the game care much beyond that. 

Edited by stanley

1 hour ago, edinabear said:

I still find it odd that some are dead against the idea of premiership colt clubs playing in the pyramid and yet we have Stirling uni reserves there!

Its a legacy of when the LL started really shouldn't be there.

18 hours ago, edinabear said:

I still find it odd that some are dead against the idea of premiership colt clubs playing in the pyramid and yet we have Stirling uni reserves there!

I might be more inclined to accept it if they just called them reserves, rather than colts.

On 21/04/2017 at 16:24, Moses McNeil said:

Heard from a 100% reliable source that Kelty Hearts have decided to join the pyramid and see how far they can go. Obviously they will be starting at the bottom and are expected to be playing in the East of Scotland League from next season while they go through the licencing process.

On 23/04/2017 at 20:19, Wile E Coyote said:

At the moment Kelty and Bo'ness have the squads to walk the EOS but for the most part players are mercenaries with no club ties so whose to say the current players would stay with them to drop down a level to play. They could easily move to another Junior club for the same wages and play at a higher level..

Of course they will probably have a financial advantage over other clubs in the EOS so may be able to recruit other players that will still give them a competitive advantage

It would be great to see some junior clubs make the step up. I wouldn't be so sure about them walking the league though. Leith, LTHV and Tynecastle are well run senior clubs with ambitions of their own, the other EOS clubs seem to be a bit behind the juniors mind you. Kelty, Bo'ness, Linlithgow, Preston, LTHV, Tynecastle, Heriot Watt and Leith all in the same league would make a great wee competition. Not sure if it will all happen for the upcoming season though, but I hope it does. Hopefully Bonnyrigg will make the jump sooner rather than later as well.

On 23/04/2017 at 20:25, Burnie_man said:

Quite possibly, but there's only one promotion spot per season into LL, and therein lies the risk.

If Kelty, Bo'ness and Linlithgow all jump, one of them will have at least two seasons playing Burntisland, Tweedmouth and Spartans Reserves.

On a separate Pie & Bovril EoS link, it has been stated that Linlithgow and Girvan are having their Licences withdrawn over non-participation in the Pyramid. Surely this isn't correct ? However, if it is (or becomes) true, what happens about Banks O'Dee (debarred from HFL promotion), Golspie Sutherland (NCL which is not officially  'senior' league despite SFA affiliation), and Glasgow Uni (still playing in amateur football) ?  

5 hours ago, Robert James said:

On a separate Pie & Bovril EoS link, it has been stated that Linlithgow and Girvan are having their Licences withdrawn over non-participation in the Pyramid. Surely this isn't correct ? However, if it is (or becomes) true, what happens about Banks O'Dee (debarred from HFL promotion), Golspie Sutherland (NCL which is not officially  'senior' league despite SFA affiliation), and Glasgow Uni (still playing in amateur football) ?  

Where has it been said that they are having their licences withdrawn?

I don't think it would be possible to remove the licences of clubs in the north.  They have no possible access to the Highland League no matter how much they want it (Banks O'Dee obviously applied and I'd guess that Golspie aren't interested).  You can't exactly strip a club of its licence for not being committed to the pyramid when there is no pyramid in the north at all.

Glasgow Uni could simply be told to join the South of Scotland League or lose it.  I don't, however, think that Glasgow Uni joining the South of Scotland League would be particularly viable when they are based in Airdrie and all of the other clubs are in Dumfries & Galloway.  I know that Edusport moved to Annan to participate in the league but it's a bit different when Glasgow Uni's team consists of students in Glasgow.

On 23/04/2017 at 19:54, Burnie_man said:

IMO this is all about forcing the SJFA to engage positively with the Pyramid and hopefully moving as a whole into it and maintaining old rivalries. An increasing number of clubs want that to happen.

Integration will happen eventually, but not the way you envisage. The EoS is pretty much a dead duck and a massive risk for any big Junior club to move into.

There's a reason why Craigroyston and Easthouses moved the other way, and other clubs may follow.

Apparently Members of the SFA and the SJFA met a few weeks ago, presumably to discuss the Pyramid ? Does anyone know what the outcome was ?

On a separate point, Craigroyston and Easthouses were hardly setting the EoSL on fire before opting to join the Juniors. They may be regretting that now if bigger Junior clubs are about to move in the opposite direction ?

17 hours ago, stanley said:

Where has it been said that they are having their licences withdrawn?

I don't think it would be possible to remove the licences of clubs in the north.  They have no possible access to the Highland League no matter how much they want it (Banks O'Dee obviously applied and I'd guess that Golspie aren't interested).  You can't exactly strip a club of its licence for not being committed to the pyramid when there is no pyramid in the north at all.

Glasgow Uni could simply be told to join the South of Scotland League or lose it.  I don't, however, think that Glasgow Uni joining the South of Scotland League would be particularly viable when they are based in Airdrie and all of the other clubs are in Dumfries & Galloway.  I know that Edusport moved to Annan to participate in the league but it's a bit different when Glasgow Uni's team consists of students in Glasgow.

Stanley, I agree !  The comment on Linlithgow & Girvan supposedly losing their licence was on a LL stream a few weeks ago. I can't recall who the author was. 

Apparently Members of the SFA and the SJFA met a few weeks ago, presumably to discuss the Pyramid ? Does anyone know what the outcome was ?
On a separate point, Craigroyston and Easthouses were hardly setting the EoSL on fire before opting to join the Juniors. They may be regretting that now if bigger Junior clubs are about to move in the opposite direction ?

Easthouses finished second in the EoS on goal difference before moving to the Juniors. They have since built a stand and improved their pavilion. They see it as a step forward.

4 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Easthouses finished second in the EoS on goal difference before moving to the Juniors. The cooncil have since built a stand and improved their pavilion. They see it as a step forward.

FTFY 

Ye forgot the floodlights which are a waste of time in the juniors game. 

a wee difference every little helps though I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

The Council funded the stand, really?

No sure if ye being sarcastic or no but I'm sure Midlothian cooncil had a lot to do with the improvements. 

Fair play it's a nice complex now though compared to the days in the wild winds and rain wi nae shelter. 

No saracasm, Sports Scotland tweeted at the time of the stands completion that they had part funded the project, where the remaining portion of the funding came from I don’t know obviously.

I was under the impression that Sports Scotland would only fund projects like this if the club concerned was going for an SFA Licence, could be wrong though.

No saracasm, Sports Scotland tweeted at the time of the stands completion that they had part funded the project, where the remaining portion of the funding came from I don’t know obviously.
I was under the impression that Sports Scotland would only fund projects like this if the club concerned was going for an SFA Licence, could be wrong though.

http://www.midlothianadvertiser.co.uk/news/easthouses-lily-stand-and-deliver-a-brighter-future-1-4025146

Funded by SFP and council fund according to the article.

The SFA do general awards which aren't necessarily licence related. I thought it was odd at the time to get an award for a 75 seat stand when it wouldn't have been much more for a licence ticking 100 seat stand. It does however say in the article that this is the first stand so maybe planning a second at some point

2 hours ago, calmac25 said:

http://www.midlothianadvertiser.co.uk/news/easthouses-lily-stand-and-deliver-a-brighter-future-1-4025146

Funded by SFP and council fund according to the article.

The SFA do general awards which aren't necessarily licence related. I thought it was odd at the time to get an award for a 75 seat stand when it wouldn't have been much more for a licence ticking 100 seat stand. It does however say in the article that this is the first stand so maybe planning a second at some point

Cheers. I guess being part of a new Community Club also helped, although I was always under the impression that awards for the likes of stands were difficult to obtain from the SFP (not Sports Scotland as I quoted earlier) if you weren't going for a Licence.  

Fair play to them though, great to see the improvements and no doubt a forward thinking club.

Cheers. I guess being part of a new Community Club also helped, although I was always under the impression that awards for the likes of stands were difficult to obtain from the SFP (not Sports Scotland as I quoted earlier) if you weren't going for a Licence.  
Fair play to them though, great to see the improvements and no doubt a forward thinking club.

It's also a bit odd that the reasons that they cited for moving was hoping to play more derbies (which hasn't really happened) but also the manager said that had they won the EoS then the lowland league would be unachievable due to the cost of developing facilities yet 2 years later they can't be far off it.

It's also a bit odd that the reasons that they cited for moving was hoping to play more derbies (which hasn't really happened) but also the manager said that had they won the EoS then the lowland league would be unachievable due to the cost of developing facilities yet 2 years later they can't be far off it.

Given they are in "Junior territory" maybe they see it as a better environment to develop? I think if they ever did earn promotion to LL they would perhaps struggle on the pitch. Isn't the playing side effectively amateur with players paying to play? They help take the goalposts down after the game.

Given they are in "Junior territory" maybe they see it as a better environment to develop? I think if they ever did earn promotion to LL they would perhaps struggle on the pitch. Isn't the playing side effectively amateur with players paying to play? They help take the goalposts down after the game.

I haven't watched them since they've been in the juniors but would imagine the arrangements would be much the same. supposedly the crowds are up, Crowds were 40-50 in the seniors.