Motherwell v Dundee, 29/4/17

9 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm starting to fall into the familiar trap of thinking relegation wouldn't be that bad, winning more often than we lose,visiting some new grounds, a chance at some silverware etc.

In the real world though,it would almost inevitably be followed by a few season's struggle a la Falkirk at best and at worst a Dunfermline-esque descent into irrelevance and us fucked financially for a generation.

It's not that I don't think it would be bad. I reckon you're probably right. The reality is that there's no sign of any improvement. I just reckon we'll end up in the same relegation shit-fight every year so we might as well get it over and done with.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, well fan for life said:

It's not that I don't think it would be bad. I reckon you're probably right. The reality is that there's no sign of any improvement. I just reckon we'll end up in the same relegation shit-fight every year so we might as well get it over and done with.

Yeah, pretty much. Relegation would be absolutely miserable, but there's always the possible that it might not be such an absolute slog that it has been this year. 

Probably will be tho.

Yeah, pretty much. Relegation would be absolutely miserable, but there's always the possible that it might not be such an absolute slog that it has been this year. 
Probably will be tho.

As a fan it's a bit of both in the championship. The away trips are far better and you get to grounds you wouldn't otherwise get to which brings a welcome change of scenery. The lack of old firm goblins inhabiting your stadium 3/4 times a stadium too is a bonus.

However the standard of football is absolutely shite and because you're a bigger fish down there smaller sides sit in and make it hard to break them down which results in the majority of matches being an absolute shitfest.

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm starting to fall into the familiar trap of thinking relegation wouldn't be that bad, winning more often than we lose,visiting some new grounds, a chance at some silverware etc.

In the real world though,it would almost inevitably be followed by a prolonged struggle a la Falkirk at best and at worst a Dunfermline-esque descent into irrelevance and us fucked financially for a generation.

First sentence is exactly what every United fan I know was saying (trying to convince themselves) when they finally accepted relegation was going to happen.

Here's hoping the second sentence is how it pans out for United!  

8 hours ago, well fan for life said:

^^^ This.

There's no doubt relegation would be brutal, it would leave us even more fucked financially than we already are. Avoiding relegation is *a good thing* and to be actively encouraged but as it is it's difficult not to feel that relegation at some point in the future seems increasingly probable.

Barring us appointing a manager who has a Simeone-esque effect in galvanising the squad or it turns out that Craigan's u20 side are indeed a contemporary equivalent to Manchester United's Class of 92 then there's little to suggest that we're looking at anything other than rinse, repeat cycles of this one. We'll be playing with another 6 clubs for 6th place, 5th at absolute best if the wheels fall off in Perth when Tommy Wright decides to f**k off at St Johnstone and for the size of the club that's absolutely fine and roughly matches our average league position since the early 90s.

That's largely the future though, bottom 6 scraps and nip/tuck with the same clubs circling the play-off spot. We're now on to our 4th manager in 3 seasons, it's a trend I don't really see changing tbh. Even last season with our creditable 5th place finish we were in the bottom half of the table for 7 months between 8th August 2015 - 11th March 2016...

It's a pretty tough sell. Even when we finished 2nd under McCall our average gate was essentially the same as it was when we finished 10th under Malpas so I can't imagine annual relegation battles will do much to help things.

An extremely depressing result and you get the feeling we are running out of time.

Shipping three goals at home to a dreadful Dundee side is unacceptable and if we fail to beat Ross County then I feel the play offs are inevitable.

Credit to the Dundee support that travelled through in great numbers.

We are due a relegation tbh. To stay in the top flight for 32 years is a pretty exceptional achievement, considering every other club of a similar size has had at least one spell in the lower leagues in that time.

Even in the 14 years since the Falkirk stadium debacle saved us this is only the 3rd time relegation has been a serious possibility.

On 01/05/2017 at 00:38, well fan for life said:

I feel like Bowman might actually be useful if we crossed a ball near him. Instead we just fire aimless balls down the touchline for him to chase. 

I despair.

You could have a midfield of Beckham, Pirlo, Xavi and Scholes pinpointing perfect balls to him, it doesn't matter a f**k if the big goon has already landed before the ball reaches him.

Archived