Motherwell v Dundee, 29/4/17

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
giphy.gif In all seriousness, it's clearly not why we lost but that's what? the 5th legit goal we've not been awarded this season? Moult's "offside" against Accies, McDonald's "offside" against Thistle, Mitchell falling into the goal with the ball, D'Acol heading the ball out from behind the line and now this one...f**k right off.

Your second goal today was miles off.

You had a dodgy goal vs ICT

What goes around usually comes around.

2 hours ago, Casagolda said:

I was genuinely astonished when that goal wasn't given, it was about a foot over the line before Hateley got anywhere near it. I know we got a dodgy goal last week but we have had some right shockers go against us this season. 

As for the display, I'm bemused how we managed to lose that. In complete control in the first half, not overly threatening but Dundee offered almost nothing going forward and Samson had nothing to do until he literally dropped the ball right on half time and we went in one down. You sense that gave Dundee a huge lift and they came out with a bit more intent 2nd half, although the defending for the 2nd and 3rd goals was criminal, far too easy beat. We huffed and puffed 2nd half and probably should have had at least a draw but it sums us up that we can score 2 goals at home to a team that has lost their last 7 games and still end up taking nothing from the game. 

Not only are we a fairly limited team with little quality, we're also a fairly meek side just totally lacking in character. Very few players today looking to stand up and be counted once we went behind, too many passengers looking to pass the buck and take the easy option. Would probably give pass marks to Moult in that regards, almost anything positive came through him and his goal was an absolute cracker. Felt sorry for Frear and Cadden, no lack of effort from either of them but neither of them are wing backs and neither of them can actually defend. With that in mind, and the fact we're playing a 3 at the back that includes a left back and our best central midfielder, you have to wonder why Robinson is persisting with this formation because it's all looking a bit square pegs in round holes at the minute. 

Mind when folk said this season wasn't as bad as the Baraclough one? Aye, well I'll stick to my assertion that this season has been every bit as bad and after watching that today I'm not convinced that this one is going to have a happy ending.

Fair fucks to Dundee btw, cracking away support today and they've now scored as many goals at Fir Park in 2017 as we have.

Dundeefanfromtwoweeksago.txt

Your second goal today was miles off. 
You had a dodgy goal vs ICT

What goes around usually comes around.

Cadden's clearly on, so let's knock that one on the head. He's well behind your defender when the ball's played.

IMG_1493507693.333452.jpg

We got a dodgy goal against ICT. Yes, yes we did.

I'd consider myself to be one of the few to give Samson the benefit of the doubt but what the f**k was he doing at that first goal? I went mental at the game as he seemed to catch it but then, for some reason, drop it. Just watched the highlights there and it looks every bit as bad as I remember. An absolute fanny of a keeper.

It was shiter of a result today but fair play to Dundee and what a cracking support they brought through. I'm still keeping my hopes up based on the fact that, bar Dundee, we have a fairly decent record against the rest of the bottom 6. Seems the game against County next week is the umpteenth "must win" we've had this season...

We concede the shitest of goals.

Getting relegated with McDonald and Moult up front, who'd improve most of the teams in the league.

At the moment, I'd keep, Moult, McHugh McDonald, Cadden and Frear, and fire the rest of them into the sun.

Yeh I'd agree with that. I quite like Vincent. This attacking player however I don't see in him.

Me neither. His strength seems to be breaking up the play in the middle, tackling etc.

First half I thought we were much better at closing people down.

I still think we'd be better with Gomis out and Higgins or Gadz in. I was convinced Gomis was going to get a red. Also I'd have Wighton out and Faz or Pyjamas in although Wighton made a great run for the 3rd (or second?).

Was Kerr just suspended or is he still injured?

If we were at full strength I'd have Kerr, Faz and Gadz in and Hateley, Gomis and Wighton out.

Definitely rode our luck yesterday but f**k it you need a break now and again.

14 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Definitely rode our luck yesterday but f**k it you need a break now and again.

We could certainly do with one. 

We seem incapable of shitfesting our way to a fortuitous win. I we play badly we lose, if we play quite well we will find a way to lose. Having Samson in goal certainly helps in that regard. 

Even the 1st hits of the Dundee players foot in the box a spins right into the path of Haber ? Samson should still have won the ball but sums it up at the moment. 

If we can beat Ross County next week it keeps them in what will probably be 4 way fight to avoid the play offs. Lose and it may well be down to just Hamilton, Dundee and ourselves and that assumes neither Dundee nor Hamilton win next week.

We seem incapable of shitfesting our way to a fortuitous win. I we play badly we lose, if we play quite well we will find a way to lose. Having Samson in goal certainly helps in that regard. 

Even the 1st hits of the Dundee players foot in the box a spins right into the path of Haber ? Samson should still have won the ball but sums it up at the moment. 

If we can beat Ross County next week it keeps them in what will probably be 4 way fight to avoid the play offs. Lose and it may well be down to just Hamilton, Dundee and ourselves and that assumes neither Dundee nor Hamilton win next week.

If we somehow win next week then Killie are only two ahead of us and if Motherwell beat Ross County and Hamilton beat Inverness then it's back to having all five involved again for the playoffs.

I'd be playing him at right back then, I understand Robinson is making the best of a bad hand right now but it's becoming increasingly clear Cadden isn't a right back.

I think the rinsing he took in the 5-1 against Dundee and more pointedly his performances the 6-3 against Thistle u20s and the loss to Dunfermline u20s would explain the hesitation to bring him back.

Craigan was very critical of his performances and attitude around that point, publicly so too.

16 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Have to also say I love the day trip to Motherwell. Ok we won but I really like the place.

We won and it's a magnificent feeling.

Motherwell? Are you sure you mean Motherwell, Spud? Are you sure you didn't jump on the wrong train and end up at another game?

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a resident of Motherwell that truthfully says they love the place.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

You really do need a bit of luck sometimes. I don't think people really appreciate the great impact that one goal could really have.

Yesterday for example, I thought we looked quite nervy and that fortune with the goal seemed to really give the team confidence. If we had that sort of moment two weeks ago or before that at Dingwall, we're suddenly looking to put a run together and Hartley is still in a job (I think it was right he had to go but you see my point). We were at a point where players looked terrified to make mistakes and didn't seem to believe in their own abilities and couldn't get out of the mindset which started with a tough run of games.

In the bottom six this season, pretty much everybody seems to have very similar capabilities and players of quality who can get a run going when they get some confidence. Everyone just blows hot and cold though and there is no consistency.

The one side that I think are probably the poorest in ability level would be Hamilton but they seem to have made up for that with a really combative team who are horrible to play against and seem to be mentally stronger than other teams who seem to collapse more easily. If we are going into the final day and needing a result from our game there (with them also in danger), I really can't see us getting it.

Motherwell? Are you sure you mean Motherwell, Spud? Are you sure you didn't jump on the wrong train and end up at another game?
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a resident of Motherwell that truthfully says they love the place.

I like the stadium, fairly straightforward to get to, relatively easy to park - although I made a clusterfuck of it yesterday. The fans on here are pretty decent guys.

Of course it helps when over the years we have usually won when I'm in attendance.

Archived