The Undesirables

Antlion

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

That the best/most prosperous/least corrupt countries are or have been hugely influenced by the Reformation is a given with very few exceptions, Japan aside.  This is incontrovertible so I have no idea why you'd want to raise it again.

No. They are just better at hiding/covering up and apportioning blame to those that don't count, than the less "reformationist" societies.

They have an "A" grade in being polished turds.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

All four of the possible combinations of support from the Scottish and European referendums are legitimate in their own right.

I think at this stage though, the "keep Scotland in the UK and the EU" idea is a fine enough thing to support but the EU part of it absolutely isn't going to happen (within the UK at least) and it's not in any way unreasonable to accept that. That acceptance could either involve sucking it up that we're out of the EU as a result of Brexit or changing sides on the Independence question (and hoping for the best with Europe) - again, either option is fair enough.

This position that a lot of Unionists still seem to take, that they still firmly support the No/Remain sides and everyone who doesn't is a wrong'un, just doesn't wash anymore unfortunately. I think the last time I read you posting about this subject you were saying that Brexit won't happen because of good looking people in London or something. Think you should probably stop referencing how sensible and reasonable your positions are tbh.

A very sensible post reaching out to a confused and senseless poster.

2 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

No. They are just better at hiding/covering up and apportioning blame to those that don't count, than the less "reformationist" societies.

By no measure is that true.  The Protestant countries of Northern Europe, the Anglophone countries plus HK, SG and Japan are, by any measure, the least corrupt.  This isn't a point of contention .

21 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

They have an "A" grade in being polished turds.

I'm pretty sure that he just has a weird twisted Nordic superiority complex. File alongside the musings of the likes of Alfred Rosenberg, Anders Behring Breivik and Tom from The Great Gatsby. 

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

By no measure is that true.  The Protestant countries of Northern Europe, the Anglophone countries plus HK, SG and Japan are, by any measure, the least corrupt.  This isn't a point of contention .

OK. By whos measure.

The UN's...Jimmy Savilles.....Sykes-Picot.

Britnat roaster material from you the night. 

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

That the best/most prosperous/least corrupt countries are or have been hugely influenced by the Reformation is a given with very few exceptions, Japan aside.  This is incontrovertible so I have no idea why you'd want to raise it again.

Aye, dem protestants didn't half put South Africa straight :blink:.

I hope absolutely no one associates me with this post nor has made any such inference from anything I've said.

No one will take any inference that your posts relate in any way to Jimmy Saville. Don't worry.:lol:

The point being the UK is as corrupt as the next nation. Our elite have always been just a wee bit better at hiding it.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Clearly it isn't and only utter idiots think that it is.  this doesn't make it problem-free.

Only utter fools would think we are less corruptible because of our reformationist character traits. What would our more refined European partners make of that.

4 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Only utter fools would think we are less corruptible because of our reformationist character traits. What would our more refined European partners make of that.

The true truth is that we are less corrupt by dint of The Reformation.

This can't be a shock to anyone, Shirley.

We and the Japanese are proud of our proud master-race status.

WATP my steamboats brother.  

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Without going in to ancient history, no we are now no more or less corruptible than our European partners both reformist and non-reformist.

The UK is not an exceptionalist concept. It had its wee spike of glory from the mid 19th to mid 20th century. Others have and will take their turn.

Exceptionlism is a poor bad nat trait.

3 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

Without going in to ancient history, no we are now no more or less corruptible than our European partners both reformist and non-reformist.

Your appalling spelling aside it is clear to all that the Reformation made a huge difference both politically and economically.  And, of course. the North Europeans and are less corrupt.  Why on earth would you try and argue otherwise?

1 minute ago, DublinMagyar said:

Go f**k yourself

Love, Ireland

You'd have had at least a shred of credibility if you'd not replied to me in English.

As I said, "Eire's standing in the world, which is thoroughly welcome, is entirely down to its British heritage and English-speaking roots."

And, of course. the North Europeans and are less corrupt.  Why on earth would you try and argue otherwise?

You are making the point. Argue it.

How are we less corrupt than France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Switzerland et al.

I know you like your history, but we are talking in the present context. 

Go for it.....

1 minute ago, git-intae-thum said:

You are making the point. Argue it.

How are we less corrupt than France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Switzerland et al.

I know you like your history, but we are talking in the present context. 

Go for it.....

No idea why you included Switzerland in your list of shame.

The irony is that Geneva's most iconic monument shows three Frenchmen and a Scot:

geneva.JPG.7a32ed09b380d3dca1fe6f1dc4678baa.JPG

You'd have had at least a shred of credibility if you'd not replied to me in English.
As I said, "Eire's standing in the world, which is thoroughly welcome, is entirely down to its British heritage and English-speaking roots."

Go f**k yourself

Never come to Ireland, for your own safety bud.

Archived