Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

57 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Jesus Christ, no. 

There aren't many in the SNP that I would have much faith in but he would be well down the list.

Quite right. I'm a Keef Brown man too.

17 hours ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

It's surely Ad Lib doing the Dale Carrick as Jum Murphy is emptied.

Any footage of this?

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

The most recent thing she has done completely wrong imo were the restrictions in December.

Giving Humza Useless any sort of responsibility is another poor decision.

Seems a bit weird not wanting someone as FM based upon a couple of pretty minor issues.  Maybe you want a ‘perfect’ politician in the position, if so I think you’re going to be pretty disappointed.

36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Seems a bit weird not wanting someone as FM based upon a couple of pretty minor issues.  Maybe you want a ‘perfect’ politician in the position, if so I think you’re going to be pretty disappointed.

I only mentioned the last of the reasons.  There are plenty others. I went off Salmond a long time ago as well.

Yes, the SNP are preferable to the Tory wankers but that's not a high bar to set.

10 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I only mentioned the last of the reasons.  There are plenty others. I went off Salmond a long time ago as well.

Yes, the SNP are preferable to the Tory wankers but that's not a high bar to set.

I thought we were discussing Sturgeon rather than the SNP.

The SNP are far better than anything else that is on offer and I cannot think of another MSP or MP that could do a better job than Sturgeon.

She’s far from perfect but miles ahead of any alternative that I can think of.  Poll after poll suggests I’m not alone in thinking this.

Like I say you’re not going to get perfection but if you think there’s a better alternative to the SNP I’d like to know what it is and, assuming you don’t, I’d like to know who within the SNP ranks could do a better job.

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Sir Keef must be absolutely insufferable right now.

Shame his strategy of masterful inactivity won't pay off when an actual election is on hand and the tax cuts start getting dangled.

To be fair, you have to hand it to the Tories. They are steadfastly loyal to the leader right up to the point when they think he or she won't win, then they chuck aside that leader like a dud betting slip.  These polls are showing Labour ahead if there was a general election today.  If there was a general election today, a new leader would have been in place for at least 6 months and there would just have been a tax-cutting budget.  

11 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

To be fair, you have to hand it to the Tories. They are steadfastly loyal to the leader right up to the point when they think he or she won't win, then they chuck aside that leader like a dud betting slip.  These polls are showing Labour ahead if there was a general election today.  If there was a general election today, a new leader would have been in place for at least 6 months and there would just have been a tax-cutting budget.  

Here's a thought; would Thatcher have beaten Kinnock in '92?

Discuss.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Here's a thought; would Thatcher have beaten Kinnock in '92?

Discuss.

Good question. My thoughts would probably focus on the fact that Thatcher couldn't hold the support of her own party so it would be hard for the party workers to convince the voters. When Major came in, is it not the case that most folks' reaction was "errrrmm.... Who?" 

6 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Good question. My thoughts would probably focus on the fact that Thatcher couldn't hold the support of her own party so it would be hard for the party workers to convince the voters. When Major came in, is it not the case that most folks' reaction was "errrrmm.... Who?" 

Aye, pretty much. There was also a feeling that, "this new guy should probably get a chance, and he isn't Kinnock". Then they spent the next five years throwing a bacchanalian orgy for themselves, with Major as an ineffectual Head of Year demanding everybody behave. Good times.

I think the party's only real problem with Fatch was that she was experiencing one of her intermittent periods of (slight) unpopularity with Middle England, people like Heseltine were wondering if they were ever going to get a shot at the crown, and she'd humiliated folk like Douglas Hurd enough that they were willing to get on board with a coup.

She'd probably still have managed to eke out another election win, I think. Pity she didn't get the chance to try, as it would've been fucking glorious to see her booted out by the electorate.

40 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s fucking depressing that the last Labour leader to have sufficient appeal to become PM was Tony fucking Blair.  

The kind of leader that Labour needs to appeal to English voters. Whether you like it or not.

12 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

The kind of leader that Labour needs to appeal to English voters. Whether you like it or not.

I look forward to the time when what English voters want has no relevance to the governance of Scotland.

Would David Miliband have been a more successful Labour leader than Ed? DIscuss.

Old joke, I know, but I'm still a bit disappointed there wasn't a Glenn in that family.

29 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Would David Miliband have been a more successful Labour leader than Ed? DIscuss.

Old joke, I know, but I'm still a bit disappointed there wasn't a Glenn in that family.

I’m not in the mood to respond to that.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I look forward to the time when what English voters want has no relevance to the governance of Scotland.

I also look forward to lightsabers and flying cars. 

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

My mother is fundamentally stuck in some weird time warp thing where she's convinced David Miliband was the chosen one.