Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

Yeah must be really hard for independence supporters to take. All the things that were meant to send support for indy soaring have happened. Brexit finalised, Boris as PM, numerous Westminster scandals YET STILL behind in all the polls.

It's just not happening for you guys, is it?

What can you expect with the ferry fiasco at last making the headlines.

58 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Was wondering why we hadn't had any polling recently on indyref so went  looking for the most recent. not exactly great reading.

Boris the buffoon mired in Partygate and the Pishy Rishi's NI increase and rising cost of living yet we're still not polling anywhere near the numbers we'd need to win a referendum.

image.thumb.png.c195711c8c1efef0b9e4ed7a86e6873b.png

How would you vote in a Scottish independence referendum if held now? (asked after the EU referendum) - What Scotland Thinks

Remember the polls went up by 15-20% from the start of campaigning to the referendum last time around. Doesn't mean it will happen again of course, but polls change when the issue becomes a real possibility rather than just in theory.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Remember the polls went up by 15-20% from the start of campaigning to the referendum last time around. Doesn't mean it will happen again of course, but polls change when the issue becomes a real possibility rather than just in theory.

Yeah I think it's apparant people are happy voting in a poll but when actually faced with the arguments at hand and a vote that means something they're far less likely to take such a risk. 

14 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Yeah I think it's apparant people are happy voting in a poll but when actually faced with the arguments at hand and a vote that means something they're far less likely to take such a risk. 

That's the opposite of what happened last time, with the Brexit polls as well as Indy.

2 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

What do you mean did polling never go above 55% during Scottish Independence campaign? 

That's crazy I thought it did. 

It started off at around 30%, highest it reached was 49% in one poll about a week before the referendum, most of the late polling was much the same as the result, mid 40s.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It started off at around 30%.

Ahaha jheezo that's hilarious. Well I dare say in the event of another referendum polls wouldn't go as high as 65%!

What do Indy supporters consider the threshold of polling that you would need to consider actually winning a referendum?

34 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Ahaha jheezo that's hilarious. Well I dare say in the event of another referendum polls wouldn't go as high as 65%!

What do Indy supporters consider the threshold of polling that you would need to consider actually winning a referendum?

Anywhere in the mid to high 40s. Remain had a 10% lead in the polls 2 days before the Brexit referendum.

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Was wondering why we hadn't had any polling recently on indyref so went  looking for the most recent. not exactly great reading.

Boris the buffoon mired in Partygate and the Pishy Rishi's NI increase and rising cost of living yet we're still not polling anywhere near the numbers we'd need to win a referendum.

image.thumb.png.c195711c8c1efef0b9e4ed7a86e6873b.png

How would you vote in a Scottish independence referendum if held now? (asked after the EU referendum) - What Scotland Thinks

Most people made up their mind quite some time ago; there's not going to be a sudden, significant change.

As ever, the general trend is still a gradual shift towards independence as the hardcore British nationalists die off, and people desperately screaming "IT'S NOT HAPPENING!/NOBODY WANTS THIS!" on the internet doesn't seem to have changed that so far. Tick tock.

On 29/03/2022 at 16:00, BFTD said:

Most people made up their mind quite some time ago; there's not going to be a sudden, significant change.

As ever, the general trend is still a gradual shift towards independence as the hardcore British nationalists die off, and people desperately screaming "IT'S NOT HAPPENING!/NOBODY WANTS THIS!" on the internet doesn't seem to have changed that so far. Tick tock.

You'd think that they would notice that even current polling on the issue shows an increase in support from the 2014 results. What we see is a level of support that fluctuates but never drops below that. On the anti-ref side, the support is polling below their previous high points. Add in the fact that these polls usually contain several questions including what the public thinks of a referendum in X years time at which point the support for one rises significantly. There doesn't appear to be quite the outright opposition to a referendum that these polls are often portrayed as. Having a referendum is seen as a reasonable option by most. If not immediately, but within few years sure. It goes a long way to explaining why there is SNP/Green Government in Scotland that is dominating the political landscape and able to place the referendum debate as a positive part of their joint policy and secure a majority. They represent the majority opinion on this that sees it as a legitimate option.

The opposition are split between two factions; those who despise the institution and want it done away completely and those who want it to stay but be reformed in some nebulous way. Positions that are not compatible and unable to cannot challenge the majority. Neither are inspiring, because they cannot give any answer to the twin crises of Brexit and Austerity which is affecting everything. Independence with a view to EU membership appears to be a clear and viable path reversing the damage of Brexit and allow policies to be pursued that will fund public services instead of cutting them as a matter of ideology.

Besides. We have had referendums twice now. One for independence and the other over Brexit. It's just something we do now. And will again.

23 minutes ago, renton said:

A decade is 10 years.

Well congratulations on working that out. 

This section of this forum is a lot more literal than I realised when I first joined. The line was very obvious what I meant and not understanding it is being purposefully obtuse. 

Let's just pretend I said "almost" a decade ago and the point remains.

Celebrating polling being higher than it was when you lost "almost a decade ago" should be the minimal expectation not promoted like some positive that leads to an inevitable victory. I remember when the Indy movement had something a little bit more than pedantry to offer. 

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

Dude, a minute ago you where doing victory laps and declaring the indy movement dead. All against a backdrop that shows support for the NO camp has decreased since the previous vote and there is a SNP/Green Government in power preparing legislation for a referendum in 2023.

Got everything i want from my political representatives, no complaint here.

What have you got? The torys ain't shit in Holyrood and are powerless to influence that vote. The Westminster Tory's don't care. They've just put the Scottish bunch in their place, so who is pushing your concerns over the union politically?

3 minutes ago, Zern said:

What have you got? The torys ain't shit in Holyrood and are powerless to influence that vote. The Westminster Tory's don't care. They've just put the Scottish bunch in their place, so who is pushing your concerns over the union politically?

Evidently, a worrying addiction to the top button:

1B7C6FD6-91F0-4CF2-BC97-0F2B6D6A43E7.jpeg

Edited by Antlion

54 minutes ago, Zern said:

Dude, a minute ago you where doing victory laps and declaring the indy movement dead. All against a backdrop that shows support for the NO camp has decreased since the previous vote and there is a SNP/Green Government in power 1.preparing legislation for a referendum in 2023.

2. everything i want from my political representatives, no complaint here.

Man said "dude"...

1. Good luck with that. 

2. That's good that you're content, we must share that in common as I'm quite happy with the status quo. Would much prefer a Labour government and I'm optimistic we will see that next general election.