Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

IMG_1620113210.286745.thumb.jpg.66f0acfb5bdf686a8aac54af8e89a139.jpg
It looks like all the Tory sleaze is affecting their support in the North East of England! [emoji848]
Thats horrendously disappointing, unfortunately that's what you get when you put a champagne Knight of the realm in charge of the Labour Party. This seat should be a easy labour win but just like Scotland, Labour look increasingly finished south of border. Torys governments will be returned for the foreseeable

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

IMG_1620113210.286745.jpg
It looks like all the Tory sleaze is affecting their support in the North East of England! emoji848.png

That's horrendous. I'm not sure this is anything to do with Starmer. England has moved to the right and I doubt if Corbyn would have fared much differently.  

5 minutes ago, HTG said:

That's horrendous. I'm not sure this is anything to do with Starmer. England has moved to the right and I doubt if Corbyn would have fared much differently.  

It just demonstrates the problem of setting so many policies that impact on Scotland in a Westminster Parliament which is so difficult for Scotland's voters to influence.

It used to be said that Trump could shoot someone in the face on Fifth Avenue and get away with it.  These poll results suggest that BoJo could probably do something similar and still come up smelling of roses at an election. 

Didn't Corbyn led Labour hold the seat at the previous elections....

Tough for Starmer. Been leader for a year but there has only been one story in town - pandemic. He was doing well in the autumn with his "They were too slow into lockdown and too fast out of it". The incompetence line was gaining a lot of traction.

Then vaccines come and blow him away. Voters give Johnson and his cabal of cretins all the credit for the vaccine. Starmer cannot say or do anything that will cut through like that.

Two reasons Labour are haemorrhaging those votes: Paul Williams recanting his pro-milf beliefs and Starmer parachuting in Epstein associated Peter Mandelson for some reason.

Imagine surviving something as hellish as an ICU visit with Covid only for that creep Lord Mandelson darkening your dark step and insisting you invite him inside. Bloodcurdling. 

Edited by NotThePars

Starmer is pretty shit but honestly, Tony Blair would be painted as a commie in modern England. Corbyn held Hartlepool because the Brexit Party stood. If the KKK put up a candidate Labour would maybe stand a chance but when the biggest gammons are the Tories, they’ll stroll it.

England is fucked. It’s in a state of permanent outrage about nothing, but when something like government incompetence killing thousands of its citizens comes along or the Prime Minister openly takes bribes, they shrug their shoulders. I have no idea how they come back from where they are.

There is at least ten more years of hardline Tory government to come. Politics is cyclical and sooner or later, you’d imagine some shiny New Labour drone will make enough friends in the press that they’re palatable enough to get a go for a few years. But it won’t be any time soon.

17 minutes ago, Pato said:

Starmer's forensic tactical genius:

1. Pay enormous sums of money to the people in the whatsapp leaks who were expressing dismay at Labour doing well in 2017
  2. Rehire those people
  3. Watch as they extirpate the left wing from the party & as a result their most dependable shoeleather campaigners
  4. Blame Corbyn for lacklustre performance → ∞

If Starmer rids the Labour Party of left wingers even if he loses the next GE to the Tories he will see that as a job well done.  I will be interested to see the in house response if they do very badly at all the elections on Thursday.

18 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

He did, but if you add up the Tory and Brexit Party/UKIP votes in the previous General Elections they were much higher than Labour polled.
The joys of the FPTP system.

This isn’t true, at least not for 2017.

In 2019, the Brexit Party stood to try and split the Labour vote, not the Tory vote. That’s why they stood down from contesting Tory-held constituencies.

25 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

He did, but if you add up the Tory and Brexit Party/UKIP votes in the previous General Elections they were much higher than Labour polled.
The joys of the FPTP system.

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

This isn’t true, at least not for 2017.

In 2019, the Brexit Party stood to try and split the Labour vote, not the Tory vote. That’s why they stood down from contesting Tory-held constituencies.

The combined UKIP/ Tory vote in 2015 was bigger than Labour's votes and yet Labour added 7000 more voters in 2017 and outstripped both parties combined tally by 2000 votes.

Edited by NotThePars