Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

15 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Any polls out tomorrow?

We've not had any Scottish only ones since the Johnson shit hit the fan.

Will be interesting to see if the Tory vote is affected as it was in UK-wide polls.

I've had a look at Bet365. Not much there in terms of bet options, but to me the surprising thing was the odds for winning the most seats.  Hardly surprisingly, the SNP are 1/100 but remarkably (to me) the Tories are second favourites at 25/1 with Labour a distant third at 66/1.  It doesn't look like folk are placing much faith in Sarwar to restore Labour's fortunes. 

That poll translates into a very good night for the SNP. A majority, Greens increasing and Alba not getting a single seat.

It'd be an absolute disaster for Labour who are irrelevant enough as it is.

Mad how such small swings can be the difference between hee-haw and half a dozen seats. What a parliament.

How in the actual f**k can the Lib Dems be increasing their vote. Scotland's deckchair enthusiasts and microphiles coming out in force for Willie.

I really can't see Labour performing as poorly as that. If they do, I think it more or less confirms they're dead in Scotland without significant rebranding/changes. Sarwar has performed relatively well in this campaign and Ross has been a complete disaster, yet Labour are set to lose twice as many seats? That's a real sore one.

59 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I really can't see Labour performing as poorly as that. If they do, I think it more or less confirms they're dead in Scotland without significant rebranding/changes. Sarwar has performed relatively well in this campaign and Ross has been a complete disaster, yet Labour are set to lose twice as many seats? That's a real sore one.

They managed 22 and 19% in 2016 so the drop actually checks out in terms of overall seat projection, though I'm sceptical of any of those without dedicated regional polls. 18% or so is a cut-off in terms of the national average between two or three list MSPs though, which given Scottish Labour don't actually have constituencies to win/defend (just let that sink in again) means they'd be royally fucked if their list vote actually dropped to 16%. Not enough support to win constituencies and then getting beaten by everyone (including possibly Alba) for the final few list seats. The Scottish politics equivalent of being papped into the seaside leagues. 

One often forgotten about reality is that Scottish Labour's core vote are simply checking out demographically in their old heartlands, and with almost zero natural replenishment taking place unlike the Tory blue-rinse brigade. Nobody in the Central Belt is hitting 40/50 and suddenly voting for Scottish Labour, their core vote is a pyramid without a base. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I've had a look at Bet365. Not much there in terms of bet options, but to me the surprising thing was the odds for winning the most seats.  Hardly surprisingly, the SNP are 1/100 but remarkably (to me) the Tories are second favourites at 25/1 with Labour a distant third at 66/1.  It doesn't look like folk are placing much faith in Sarwar to restore Labour's fortunes. 

It's possible for Labour to be favourites to finish ahead of the Tories while the Tories to have a higher chance of getting the most seats overall than Labour.

For the Tories to get the most seats they need to do well in places where the SNP has been pulling in 35% to 45%. They don't need to take many votes from the SNP, they more need to unify the opposition to the SNP. But for Labour to win more seats than the SNP they'd need to beat them in places where the SNP have been getting 45% to 60%, and they need to take a very large number of votes straight from them.

So there's a very small chance of either Labour or the Tories getting more seats than the SNP, but the Tories are the more likely of the two; but there's a very strong likelihood that one of the two of them will come second, and Labour could be favourites in that fight.

Panelbase for Sunday times:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1388635508469903362
Showing recovery in constituency vote for SNP, Alba dropping. SNP majority of 2.
YES also ahead 52/48
Also should be another poll from BMG today
Apparently John Curtice gets slightly different seat numbers to Ballot Box Scotland. Guess predicting the spread of the Alba vote is finger in the wind stuff
Seats projection (with changes from 2016 election): SNP 65 (+2), Conservatives 28 (-3), Labour 18 (-6), Greens 9 (+3), Liberal Democrats 6 (+1), Alba 3 (+3)