Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

7 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Of course yes, it's a fact. The SNP are elected despite the media, and  anybody with half a brain could acknowledge that.

If the SNP have been elected in three consecutive elections despite the media - and are certain to be elected a fourth time - then how does the media get to set the benchmark for an independence mandate? 

Well yes, it does help to confirm that you use Wikipedia as the font of your political analysis. 

The Referendums Scotland Bill passed in 2019, are you saying the SG should have gone ahead with a referendum last year?

If the SG wanted to do so then it already had Parliamentary support. Their decision not to go ahead with a referendum had absolutely nothing to do with the lack of an SNP majority, despite the desperate efforts to plug this claim into the utterly dismal 'both votes SNP!!!111!!' campaign rhetoric so far.

I haven't done that, I've said the yoons will use it as an excuse.  If you're going to reply, at least pay some attention first.

Letting your opponents set the terms of debate is loser behaviour that the SNP is more than big enough to prevent happening.  Vote for us or else Willie Rennie will say you don't get indyref2 is utterly tragic stuff. 

Ah yes, because the party of bozos, wierdos and creeps is bound to strengthen the independence argument, isn't it?

Were they bozos, weirdos and creeps when they were, erm, serving in the SNP's first government or standing on the SNP's own list ticket until a couple of months ago? Doesn't say much for the party's vetting process for candidates then, but I'm sure there'll be no further skeletons in anyone's closet that'll emerge. 

Those who are concerned with Scottish independence and not the perpetuation of single-party rule should be happy with a Parliament that has 80+ pro-independence MSPs regardless of the party that they represent. 

Edited by vikingTON

I wonder if the support for the Greens drops off in the final weeks as SNP 1st voters get the fear and end up voting for them on the list as well.

Not sure why that wouldn't happen this time, unless a vote for the Greens is representative of genuine support for environmental issues. Which is very possible,since there's been a big shift towards Green Party voting in Europe since the last Scottish election. Doesnt help the claim that SNP plus Greens = mandate for independence referendum though . 

16 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I wonder if the support for the Greens drops off in the final weeks as SNP 1st voters get the fear and end up voting for them on the list as well.

Not sure why that wouldn't happen this time, unless a vote for the Greens is representative of genuine support for environmental issues. Which is very possible,since there's been a big shift towards Green Party voting in Europe since the last Scottish election. Doesnt help the claim that SNP plus Greens = mandate for independence referendum though . 

I suspect this time out the existence of Alba has forced many into a more serious re think of how they use a list vote, but instead of benefiting Alba it probably pushes socially Liberal voters towards Green to combat any surge from Alba.

As to the claim: Well, Greens are pro Indy. A vote for the Greens is an endorsement of their manifesto, and the views within. Including independence.

Edited by renton

1 minute ago, renton said:

I suspect this time out the existence of Alba has forced many into a more serious re think of how they use a list vote, but instead of benefiting Alba it probably pushes socially Liberal voters towards Green to combat any surge from Alba.

As to the claim: Well, Greens are pro Indy. A vote for the Greens is an endorsement of their manifesto, and the views within. Including independence.

I think most people have always realised how to use the list votes.  We had the 'Banter Parliament' from 2003-2007 with all the SSP MSPs and the mad old geezer from the Pensioners Party.

17 minutes ago, andrew21 said:

Ross Greer< Thats 20% of Green MSP's'

This guy is the reason I won't vote Green. He's got about even less gravitas than Richard Burgon, spends his time attacking politicians of the past. He acts like a teenager sprouting his first pubes.

I am ambivalent towards environmental policies, I know I shouldn’t be, I know that it’s a serious issue.  I’d be quite happy with laws that make us take the environment more seriously.

My reason for voting Green on the list is that they are pro-Indy, are left-of-centre, seem pretty decent people for the most part and have integrity - they take position on principle rather than populism.  

My second vote is going to the Greens, here in the Lothians. I hope, and think, they'll do well. And, Churchill was a cnut btw.

Alba are a party of maniacs - at least one of them a literal homicidal maniac - and kranks. They would morph into a Britain-First type organisation after indy.

1 hour ago, andrew21 said:

Ross Greer< Thats 20% of Green MSP's'

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

This guy is the reason I won't vote Green. He's got about even less gravitas than Richard Burgon, spends his time attacking politicians of the past. He acts like a teenager sprouting his first pubes.

I loved it when Ross Greer pointed out the harsh realities about Churchill to the flag-shaggers. The hypocritical fkers bang on about cancel culture but want to cancel chunks of history, because it doesn't accord with their prejudices. They need to believe in a version of Britain that's a lie and a sham. He stuck the truth in their faces and didn't give a damn how much it annoyed them. Delicious.

I wonder if that's the only thing you've ever heard about Ross Greer though, because our media just don't report the serious stuff. He's been excellent on education over the past year, holding SG to account on their pathetic mismanagement of school exams. Without the Greens we might have been stuck with that halfwitted algorithm last year, and Greer led for them on that.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Greens will have a good night

No they won't.

The polling booths close at 22:00 and counting takes place in daylight hours.

In the cold light of day, they might have had a good campaign and perhaps even a good result, but they have any sense, they'll be taking some rest.

40 minutes ago, sophia said:

No they won't.

The polling booths close at 22:00 and counting takes place in daylight hours.

In the cold light of day, they might have had a good campaign and perhaps even a good result, but they have any sense, they'll be taking some rest.

I was trying to find the link on BBC that said which constituency had the counting on Friday and Saturday. 

On Greer, it isn't just the Churchill stuff. I don't disagree with the facts on what he said on that in truth, but was there any need to start trolling people? He has verbal (or twitter) diarrhea on huge chunks of things that suggest, to me, a lack of maturity. 

To me this is a guy who went from school straight into politics without living in the real world between times. And it shows.