Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

2 hours ago, Antlion said:

I briefly thought the same, but I’ve come round to thinking that independence is a thing made more likely by the Tories fronting pro-London-rule Scottish puppetry rather than Labour. Labour were a force against Indy in 2014; they’ve been hollowed out north and south of the border since then, but a resurgence might well lead to a rerun of 2014 in any future Indyref debate, in which they’re in a position to hoodwink swathes of the public into thinking the future of the UK will be brighter and less Tory. So aye, f**k ‘em. The Tories being the opposition party of hard, NI-style unionism is probably better for independence. Their loathsomeness deserves maximum attention.

you could also add the comedy factor of DRoss facing up to Nicola every week in FMQ's

4 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

So there could well be Salmond's desired 'supermajority' afterall - it'll be due to a Green surge though, not from his ragtag mob.

What he has done is made people think about the list vote - and they are choosing The Greens.

So the poll has Alba back at the 3% of the Courier poll - and Galloway's mob received less than 0.5% of the vote 🤣

The Panelbase poll looks like it was an outlier - or one where the question was skewed.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

What he has done is made people think about the list vote - and they are choosing The Greens.

Seems like it.  The people on the more left side of the SNP will listen to what he's said and realise that in essentially every region apart from H&I and probably the South, an SNP list vote is basically pointless and are backing a party with a much stronger base and a much better track record than Salmond's gang of Jimmy Hat-wearing, Wings-adoring, Saltire-flying-from-their-fence weirdos.

4 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

I'd like a dose of those Green & Lib Dems numbers on an iv drip please.

Just to add to your high, below 5 MSPs you stop being a group in the Scottish Parliament. They would lose their seat on the Parliamentary Bureau and their right to a question at FMQs, among other things.

4 hours ago, Trogdor said:

If anything, I think Alba has led to SNP supporters actually thinking about their constituency vote. Hence the Greens picking up more. Its not the outcome he wanted but it still achieves the fabled super majority. 

It was always going to be interesting seeing how it played out, and that does look like what's happening. The drop in the SNP list vote is huge, but more has gone Green than elsewhere. We'll need more polls to confirm it but it's very likely that 9% drop is real.

So the poll has Alba back at the 3% of the Courier poll - and Galloway's mob received less than 0.5% of the vote 
The Panelbase poll looks like it was an outlier - or one where the question was skewed.
Skewed.

The question had Alba billed as "The Alba Party (led by Alex Salmond)". None of the other leaders were mentioned.

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

Skewed.

The question had Alba billed as "The Alba Party (led by Alex Salmond)". None of the other leaders were mentioned.

If they had put Scotland in Unity (led by George Galloway) they would have got less than 0.5%

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
3 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:
Why does daft Wullie and his irrelevant party get so much airtime and column inches? They are almost non-existent yet he’s always there havering his pish.

Because its a branch of an irrelevant established British party.

Aye, it was a bit of a rhetorical question. The media up here are insane, they’re deliberately cutting off their nose to spite their face and destroying themselves by continually backing the wrong horse. Are they that thick that they don’t understand the political zeitgeist? I understand that most of them are London/foreign owned which will influence their editorial content but Jesus f**k you would think they would look at the polls occasionally and stop insulting their audience.

29 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Why does daft Wullie and his irrelevant party get so much airtime and column inches? They are almost non-existent yet he’s always there havering his pish.

Oh come on surely you realise that he represents the same party as Jo Swinson.  Do I need to remind you that Jo Swinson is the Prime Minister*

* I have been in a coma since 12th December 2019 so will need to check on that but she had me convinced.

Edited by Caledonian1

29 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
31 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Because its a branch of an irrelevant established British party.

Irrelevant and established don't look right next to each other. 

54 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Irrelevant and established don't look right next to each other. 

It's the British condition in a nutshell.

I was thinking well at least if they're getting reduced to a vestigial rump in Holyrood and Westminster, they must at least have a fair representation in local government but nope 67 whole councillors out of 1200-odd!
And 1 of those 67 is a councillor who defected to the Lib Dems after being elected in 2017 as a Tory in the Hamilton council ward where I live.