Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

24 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

It just needs private investment and the cooperation of the Border Force.

Minimum Investment required initially, Ro Ro are stern onto the quay , ramp down and cargo driven off. The only delay is if they have internal  elevators between decks as they usually can convey one truck at a time.

Border Force officers at Edinburgh Airport cover Rosyth presently on an ad hoc basis, their numbers would increase as required.

2 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Minimum Investment required initially, Ro Ro are stern onto the quay , ramp down and cargo driven off. The only delay is if they have internal  elevators between decks as they usually can convey one truck at a time.

Border Force officers at Edinburgh Airport cover Rosyth presently on an ad hoc basis, their numbers would increase as required.

Got to buy or lease a boat too, mind.  Also have to persuade BF to increase instead of reduce it's numbers.  I expect they'd be puzzled at the concept.

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

Got to buy or lease a boat too, mind.  Also have to persuade BF to increase instead of reduce it's numbers.  I expect they'd be puzzled at the concept.

A boat? Ro Ro's are highly maneuverable, bow thrusters and twin props see to that, plus I recall that a major RO  Ro port like Immingham did not require harbour pilots  once the Ferry Captain had completed an assessment so less cost.

I have been conducting this discourse along the lines of an Independent Scotland with it's own Customs or Border force, why would we be subjected to what a uk gov requires.

Let them puzzle on while we trade with the EU.

3 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I have been conducting this discourse along the lines of an Independent Scotland with it's own Customs or Border force

The question was why hadn't the Scottish Government already implemented it.

They should have had this in court before brexit and also set up a ferry port and trade route on the east coast rather than trying to save the english from themselves. 

Edited by Baxter Parp

13 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

The question was why hadn't the Scottish Government already implemented it.

A couple of years back one of the regular ferries on the Scotland - Holland route caught fire on passage, with the cost of the repairs plus at the time lack of trade the route was considered no longer viable.

There have been a couple of proposals from Dutch Companies to start a ferry service between Scotland and Holland since 2019 but they fizzled out.

Scottish exporters of all sorts of goods to the continent would welcome a ferry.

Last year the uk government gave £17 Million to support the Cairnryan to NI ferry routes yet continue to disregard subsidising and revitalising Rosyth to aid Scottish goods being exported to the EU.

Political? you decide at the ballot box on the 6th of May.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

A couple of years back one of the regular ferries on the Scotland - Holland route caught fire on passage, with the cost of the repairs plus at the time lack of trade the route was considered no longer viable.

There have been a couple of proposals from Dutch Companies to start a ferry service between Scotland and Holland since 2019 but they fizzled out.

Scottish exporters of all sorts of goods to the continent would welcome a ferry.

Last year the uk government gave £17 Million to support the Cairnryan to NI ferry routes yet continue to disregard subsidising and revitalising Rosyth to aid Scottish goods being exported to the EU.

Political? you decide at the ballot box on the 6th of May.

Are you seriously comparing Rosyth-Holland to Cairnryan-Belfast? Come on now.

A lot of the most mentally ill blue ticks in Britain have been trying to fill the void in their empty hearts by targeting Philip Proudfoot since they shot Corbyn for having the temerity to say "maybe life in the UK shouldn't suck this much"

4 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Do you mean Belgium? I wasn't aware of a Scotland - Netherlands service, though there was talk of one starting a couple of years ago.

3 hours ago, G51 said:

Are you seriously comparing Rosyth-Holland to Cairnryan-Belfast? Come on now.

Ferry Rosyth to Northern Ireland, population 1.8 Million.

Ferry Rosyth to Holland, EU population 446 Million, the largest trading bloc in the world.

Giving Scottish exporters the trade choice between the two you would say Northern Ireland would be the better choice.

Aye Right, I'll take your word for it.

7 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Ferry Rosyth to Holland, EU population 446 Million, the largest trading bloc in the world.

Giving Scottish exporters the trade choice between the two you would say Northern Ireland would be the better choice.

Scotland has many deep cultural, economic and social ties to Northern Ireland and the Republic. That ferry link is extremely important to retaining those, and the maintenance of those ties is far more important than giving whisky companies a cheaper freight route to the continent.

FWIW, £17m a year on that subsidy is absolutely nothing. It costs £46m a year to subsidise Serco Northlink, despite their Scrabster - Stromness ferry being completely useless.

9 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Is massively quicker to drive to Folkestone than sail from Rosyth and the vast majority of Scottish exports are "just in time" products 

36 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Ferry between Scotland & Northern Ireland - 2 hour crossing, the most practical way of moving goods between Scotland, NI & ROI

Ferry between Scotland & Belgium - 20 hour crossing, slower than driving to an English port or the Channel Tunnel

Having that link would be no bad thing, especially in the event of an independent Scotland in the EU, but this is not a like for like comparison