John Lambies Doos

Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Presumably they're very bitter about it, find the idea of them surviving as a nation laughable, and think they'll come crawling back once they're bankrupt. That's how the independence process works, right?

Until I went to the Faroes, I didn't realise how rich they are.  The tunnels were massive and the roads were great.  I knew that they got a grant every year from Denmark and while Greenland needs it (partly as they have a number of social problems), the Faroes just stick it in a bank account and don't really touch it.

Edited by Highland Capital

8 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Until I went to the Faroes, I didn't realise how rich they are.  The tunnels were massive and the roads were great.  I knew that they got a grant every year from Denmark and while Greenland needs it (partly as they have a number of social problems), the Faroes just stick it in a bank account and don't really touch it.

A Finnish colleague told me once that the ScandiWegian countries consider Finns to be hard-drinking bams, whereas the Finns think the Faeroese make them look like lightweights.

I know that's got nothing to do with it, I just found it amusing that they have a hierarchy of alcoholic lunacy  :P

5 hours ago, doulikefish said:

The game’s a bogie.  The Salmond attack on Sturgeon has stripped her of all credibility, the political colossus that is Douglas Ross is offering alternative policies that are destroying the case for Independence and this is all before the mighty Anas Sarwar reclaims Scotland for Labour.

Might as well just pack the whole project in with a measly 53% minority of the vote.  :bairn

There's been talk (both seriously and not so seriously) about independence for Orkney and Shetland.  I wonder if post-independence they might end up with a relationship with Scotland akin to what the Faroes has with Denmark - essentially independence in all but name.
Incidentally, most of the Danes I've spoken to seem to think that total independence for the Faroe Islands is inevitable.
Not that red herring again?

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Wait, so Nicola Sturgeon doesn’t want independence because she’s paid money to be FM? Is that it?

Will she not be paid money to be FM after independence?

Can't imagine what would be better for the leader of the Scottish National Party's long term prospects of being in charge: being the woman who delivered independence and coasting on that for a solid decade at a minimum or stalling the cause to cling on to power.

It'll be quite funny to see Tavish Scott and the fifteen other Britnat island bumpkins being rounded up by the Revolutionary Guard and interned on Inchmarnock after their stupid wee Free Orkney coup.

Subcarpathian Ruthenia had a better chance in the 24 hours it was independent. 

4 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Words fail me. Comments please!IMG_1614884437.323169.jpg

England is turning into a one party state.

34 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

FB_IMG_1614323523606.jpg

2 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

So it's well within the margin of error that the SNP are polling ahead of the Lib Dems..... UK wide.

Spoiler

giphy.gif

It's not inconceivable that after the next general election, the LibDems could have more MSPs than they have MPs.  

43 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

So it's well within the margin of error that the SNP are polling ahead of the Lib Dems..... UK wide.

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

There was a poll posted a while back where that was literally true - more people projected to vote SNP in Scotland than to vote Liberal Democrat across the entirety of the UK. There are more than 12x as many people in the UK than in Scotland alone. Incredible how unpopular the Lib Dems have made themselves.

That poll is more confirmation that England is perfectly happy with what the Tories are doing and, likely, what they plan to do in the future. And that lead isn't taking into account the fact that they've lost a massive, erm, 3% of the vote to Farage's latest bullshit. Labour would be as well packing up and going home for the next few elections, at least.

23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

There was a poll posted a while back where that was literally true - more people projected to vote SNP in Scotland than to vote Liberal Democrat across the entirety of the UK. There are more than 12x as many people in the UK than in Scotland alone. Incredible how unpopular the Lib Dems have made themselves.

That poll is more confirmation that England is perfectly happy with what the Tories are doing and, likely, what they plan to do in the future. And that lead isn't taking into account the fact that they've lost a massive, erm, 3% of the vote to Farage's latest bullshit. Labour would be as well packing up and going home for the next few elections, at least.

This is why we need Independence.  Scotland has rejected Toryism for decades yet I’ve lived under far more Tory governments in my 66 years than any alternatives.

As an aside, Starmer’s policy of offering no opposition isn’t really working for Labour.  If these sort of figures continue into summer I can see him coming under pressure from the same people who backed him for the leadership.

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This is why we need Independence.  Scotland has rejected Toryism for decades yet I’ve lived under far more Tory governments in my 66 years than any alternatives.

As an aside, Starmer’s policy of offering no opposition isn’t really working for Labour.  If these sort of figures continue into summer I can see him coming under pressure from the same people who backed him for the leadership.

Christ, you're only 66? Poor show, posing as an antediluvian. I don't know what to believe anymore.

At least we have a way out. I feel for the underclass in England. Life's never been a barrel of laughs if you've no money, but it's hasn't finished getting harder for them, and they're stuck with it.

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

Christ, you're only 66? Poor show, posing as an antediluvian. I don't know what to believe anymore.

At least we have a way out. I feel for the underclass in England. Life's never been a barrel of laughs if you've no money, but it's hasn't finished getting harder for them, and they're stuck with it.

It’s a typo.  Should be 666.

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think thats quite a significant result given its an SNP loss and the quite serious campaigning the SNP candidate had put in. I dont think everything is going to be as clear cut in May as many predict.