Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

17 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

That said id much rather a centre left health and economic/slightly right justice minded party with a pro indy stance came to be. 

Which of these is most important to you? Is it:

1. Centre/left on economy and health. 

2. Centre right on justice

3. Pro indy

Fwiw, I'm not that far removed from that profile. But 1 and 2 are completely unachievable within the UK for the foreseeable future. They're entirely achievable in an independent Scotland.

There is only one option which will offer at least a chance of living with principles for any length of time. 

But we're not a one party state - contrary to what Twitter would have us believe.

So if you think Anas will deliver what you need  crack on. If you think Douglas will deliver what you need, crack on. Sometimes life is a bag of shite and you end up going with the least worst option. I don't think the SNP are the least worst option but I've no issue with folk who do. 

50 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Go and take an absolute fcuk to yourself. Why would anyone vote for a party that has continually screwed up, yes indy is important to me, but a properly functioning and competent government not led by charlatans like Humza, Swinney and the rest is also important. 
Absolutely typical on here that you can’t criticise the SNP without being accused of supporting the tories. 

You’ve gone from being a sensible poster to a complete arse, possible as a result of falling down the Covid rabbit hole.

As an aside, if you want an indication of the quality of the content of your posts have a wee look at whose dotting them.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You’ve gone from being a sensible poster to a complete arse, possible as a result of falling down the Covid rabbit hole.

As an aside, if you want an indication of the quality of the content of your posts have a wee look at whose dotting them.

You’ll forgive me for not being overly bothered by the rantings of someone who voted for something because he thought it would deliver something else when im discussing why im not voting for something because It might deliver something else.

Also covid rabbit hole, what because im skeptical about the actions of the government with one of the worst records in terms of management of the pandemic and the increased amount of Helen Lovejoy hand grasping from people who hang on Devi’s every word? The pandemic is real, people have died, we have effective treatments and vaccines and I want to open up when its safe to do so, which I believe is sooner rather than the end of the year, thats not unreasonable. Werent you the poster who openly bragged about ignoring the guidance? 

9 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You’ll forgive me for not being overly bothered by the rantings of someone who voted for something because he thought it would deliver something else when im discussing why im not voting for something because It might deliver something else.

Also covid rabbit hole, what because im skeptical about the actions of the government with one of the worst records in terms of management of the pandemic and the increased amount of Helen Lovejoy hand grasping from people who hang on Devi’s every word? The pandemic is real, people have died, we have effective treatments and vaccines and I want to open up when its safe to do so, which I believe is sooner rather than the end of the year, thats not unreasonable. Werent you the poster who openly bragged about ignoring the guidance? 

No, but that won’t stop some idiots from making the claim and other idiots from believing them.

I firmly believe an Independent Scotland, inter alia, would have been better placed to tackle the pandemic.

42 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

The Tories:
Virtually abandoned a serious approach to pandemic planning by ignoring the findings of Operation Cygnus despite said pandemic being seen as the single biggest threat to the nation.

Handled the pandemic poorly from the start.

Indulged in massive cronyism in awarding contracts to a level many would find corrupt, and is ignoring legal rulings on releasing details of such contracts.

Fucked up Brexit in just about every way possible leading to a deal that they are desperate to get out of just eight weeks after it coming into force.

If Starmer had any genuine political conviction he would be distraught by that poll.  In reality I doubt if he cares very much.

The idea of Scotland continuing to be governed by a political party whose policies and philosophy is overwhelmingly rejected is untenable.

32 minutes ago, renton said:

Just out of interest, what sort of headline policies, beyond the constitutional question, would make you want to vote for a party?

Just to list a few things, Proper investment in justice, no more waiting years for cases to come to court, far stronger sentencing for violent crime including domestic abuse and far strong powers to protect children at risk of harm. Diversionary justice proceedings for petty non violent offending and a policy of non prosecution in Scotland for TV licensing breaches. I want far stronger repurcussions for breaches of bail whereby it actually leads to remand for domestic violence and other offences. I want a policy of offending forgiveness for those who admit a non violent non harm causing minor crime (ie shoplifting from asda). Want massive investment in policing to enable them to do their jobs, increase computer crime capabilities, legislation to be put in place to prosecute bankers who commit crimes similar to those which caused the previous crash and a policy of actively investigating and prosecuting these people (this can only be done via massive investment and regulation and recruiting a very significant number of investigative accountants etc which cannot be done with the current underfunding), fleet and facilities and value emergency service workers (something the Justice Minister patently does not do).  

Education terms want a rethink of CFE and far more investment in helping those marginalised by inequalities, but actual meaningful efforts. Want to see more of the kids who are currently cast aside given role models and mentors who will guide them into trades etc and understand the trauma rather than write them off. Want to see inspectorate of schools given funding to enable them to carry out wider and more regular inspections and teachers able to complete an apprenticeship degree in teaching especially for subjects like HE/IT and other practical subjects where there is no doubt they no the theory but guide them in teaching methods etc. 

Social justice, want to see all MSP’s banned from being landlords or having any financial interest in rented property under an arbitrary value. Want a universal basic income and a scheme whereby if you dont have a job one will be appointed for you subject to your needs/abilities. I want to see a housing standards act brought in to set a basic standard of housing with a mixture of child protection, building standards and fuel/food poverty measures embedded into the legislation. A clean streets bonus whereby communities which can show a willingness to cut fly tipping etc through community action in partnership with local authorities can see bonus funding for community projects. 
Id like to see a citizenship project for younger people to make a difference in their communities and promote a bit of civic pride which in return sees some kind of benefit to them, perhaps with academic credit or financial benefit when they are studying, ie instead of a part time job when at uni or college they get involved in meaningful civic projects and get paid a fair wage. 

Things like that, thats policies I want to vote for. 

22 minutes ago, HTG said:

Which of these is most important to you? Is it:

1. Centre/left on economy and health. 

2. Centre right on justice

3. Pro indy

- they are all important, but 1&2 are my priorities right now. 

22 minutes ago, HTG said:

Fwiw, I'm not that far removed from that profile. But 1 and 2 are completely unachievable within the UK for the foreseeable future. They're entirely achievable in an independent Scotland.

There is only one option which will offer at least a chance of living with principles for any length of time. 

But we're not a one party state - contrary to what Twitter would have us believe.

-you’d think so given the reaction by some posters. 

So if you think Anas will deliver what you need  crack on. If you think Douglas will deliver what you need, crack on.
- absolutely not. 

Sometimes life is a bag of shite and you end up going with the least worst option. I don't think the SNP are the least worst option but I've no issue with folk who do. 

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

No, but that won’t stop some idiots from making the claim and other idiots from believing them.

I firmly believe an Independent Scotland, inter alia, would have been better placed to tackle the pandemic.

I agree but I dont think the SNP would have handled it better had they been the government of an independent Scotland. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

The previous survation poll was 51/49 Yes. This one is 50/50.

The Sunday Mail are crowing about a 1 point swing. On a poll that has an error of +/- 3 points.

I don't understand why that wasn't the end of the discussion about this poll.

The amount of words wasted and hot takes taken on polls that have only moved within the margin of error is extraordinary.

I think we need to face a few facts where the SNP is concerned. I know a few folk who faithfully vote SNP on the basis of Nicola Sturgeon's leadership and a consideration of the alternative Scottish parties, but crucially they remain to be convinced on independence and they are not overly thrilled by Sturgeon's team - as one guy put it, Messi surrounded by Ross Perrys. It's perfectly possible then that we could see polls in which support for independence dips but the electoral numbers for the SNP holds up. And ultimately it will be the latter which is more important. But firstly the Salmond issue must have a decisive outcome, and if heads must roll then so be it.

Just now, Pato said:

Fractionally your fault, yes. I don't know why people get upset at the idea their vote (or in the majoritarian case we're talking about, their lack of one) leads to outcomes for which they bear a share of the responsibility.

The point I'm making is you're setting yourself up for not being in a position to complain when everything you value that you want to improve gets significantly worse because the conservatives main purpose now is to steal public funds.

I take the view that it’s the party who wish to govern who are to blame if their policies and record in government are found wanting. Its like serving a buffet of broken glass, nails and twigs with the promise of an outside chance of having chocolate cake for dessert if i eat the glass but the nails and twigs telling me there wont be any chocolate cake and the twigs are the ones with the cake. 

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

This whole centre left on the economy, centre right on justice we're talking about sounds awfully similar to the "save are nhs, bring back hanging" voting block that gets roundly mocked on here when it's folk in Scunthorpe saying it

That may be your take on it, but i dont particularly think people who want to see people murdered by the state are centre anything. 

Ok I bow out the argument at the allegations of having fascist ideologies, ive put in quite reasoned arguments for my opinions on things and even set out my own feelings on what I want a government to do policy wise but now getting the ‘sounds like fascism’ crap. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod