Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

14 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

We can offer Ettrick, Roxburgh and Berwickshire to Westminster in the post-referendum independence negotiations. 

I'll take that tbf. Not my preferred option but I'd deffo take it right now. 

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That New Statesman thing has Alex Cole-Hamilton out on his arse. He’ll probably sneak in on the regional list regardless, but him being sent down the job centre would comfortably be one of the best moments of 2021.

Lib Dems only got 5.6% on the Lothian list vote last time and 5.5% the time before. That's right on the cusp on getting one or none, so I wouldn't bet on them getting a list seat in Lothian in May. 

8 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

How can you possibly call yourself Scottish with that answer.
It's actually staggering

I very rarely do that tbf. 

I'm English born to a Scottish father and English mother and raised in Scotland since the age of 5, I'm English... British.... and some people call me Scottish, I like Scotland and want the best for Scotland and my local area, hence voting and supporting remaining in Britain. 

It staggers me that anyone that loves Scotland would want to do something so reckless because they're insecure about their identity, their "faith" and "muh ideologies" also the Borders region should not be taken out of Britain against it's will, going by some of the smooth brain logic you find on here then it would be undemocratic to do so. 

22 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

30 tories? Jesus!

Can we also throw in Edinburgh because its a shite hole?

Again I'll take it. 

44 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

EvTH3NhWgAY2XVb?format=jpg&name=large

Don't know the details yet.

Its no great surprise to see support dipping, im still very much pro-independence but im pretty sure i wont be voting SNP in may for a variety of reasons all covered before. That said quite a lot of folks equate independence with the SNP and given the Salmond stuff and the mess of the pandemic i can see why people have lost faith. 

EvTH3NhWgAY2XVb?format=jpg%26name=large&key=f32df8e73e69c0383659a6d01999bc4a5a935ff24f68d92048864c9122458840
Don't know the details yet.
Hot take from this is the SNP infighting coupled with the unpopularity of the road map out of lockdown has pushed support down.

Looks like Survation took the poll on Thursday so before Salmond's appearance but right at the height of media hype.

It does show that although the movement is wider than the SNP, the two biggest figures in the movement tearing strips off each other doesn't help.

However it is hard to argue this isn't part of a recent trend where support for independence has been dropping over recent polls. "Brexit chaos" has been under reported while people aren't losing jobs in huge numbers because of the job retention scheme.

Nonetheless, marginally behind is not a disaster to start a campaign from. But Johnson won't allow a campaign when Yes is behind.

So the SNP need to pull the infighting together and get on the attack to the UK's corruption (Hancock) and failures on Brexit.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s easy for multi-national corporations to avoid corporation tax, not for millions of SMEs.  I’d be happy to see it increased to 25%.

Very true of large companies, but there are many more self employed like myself operating on a consultancy basis who don't have the luxury or affording the cost of major tax Accountancy Companies

I remember reading that in 1978 the  Dewhurst Butchers company paid £10 tax on a profit of £2.3 million, Dewhurst was owned by the Vestey family who also owned the refrigerated Blue Star line ships and extensive cattle ranches in South America, the family were adept at tax avoidance, all legal of course?

37 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its no great surprise to see support dipping, im still very much pro-independence but im pretty sure i wont be voting SNP in may for a variety of reasons all covered before. That said quite a lot of folks equate independence with the SNP and given the Salmond stuff and the mess of the pandemic i can see why people have lost faith. 

According to polls the pandemic handling is largely supported by the public and there has been lots of comments on here that nobody is interested in the "Salmond stuff".  Hopefully it is just these two issues and not something more entrenched as we will find it easier to recover from these temporary issues than, let's say, a sizable section of the population thinking that with the financial state of the country that we are now too wee or too poor.

The previous survation poll was 51/49 Yes. This one is 50/50.

The Sunday Mail are crowing about a 1 point swing. On a poll that has an error of +/- 3 points.

The previous poll showed a probable statistical tie, and so does this one.

There has almost certainly been a drop in Yes support since maybe the new year. I think enough polls now have shown that Yes isn't hitting the highs it was in Autumn.

Part of that must be related to the ongoing imbroligio with Salmond. Part of it may well be the sense of crisis passing with Covid, and some of the soft vote ambling back towards the status quo.

Having said that, we are now in a position where a statistical tie is a case for ringing Church bells amongst Unionist support. That reflects on a much changed picture regarding support for Indy.

Edited by renton

46 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

This is all well and good as long as you're absolutely content to spend a long, long time living under a UK Conservative govt.

Of course the indy movement is wider than the SNP but there is no other vehicle through which it can be delivered. 

Crack on if you're happy waving a flag from time to time. I'll be voting SNP twice because anything else gives succour to the Alister Jacks and Iain Murray of this world and will allow the Galloway lunatic fringe to crow furiously. 

As long as you've got a glow about you though. 

Just now, HTG said:

This is all well and good as long as you're absolutely content to spend a long, long time living under a UK Conservative govt.

Of course the indy movement is wider than the SNP but there is no other vehicle through which it can be delivered. 

Crack on if you're happy waving a flag from time to time. I'll be voting SNP twice because anything else gives succour to the Alister Jacks and Iain Murray of this world and will allow the Galloway lunatic fringe to crow furiously. 

As long as you've got a glow about you though. 

Go and take an absolute fcuk to yourself. Why would anyone vote for a party that has continually screwed up, yes indy is important to me, but a properly functioning and competent government not led by charlatans like Humza, Swinney and the rest is also important. 
Absolutely typical on here that you can’t criticise the SNP without being accused of supporting the tories. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

I would suspect that the small swing is probably due to the positive news surrounding the vaccine, and the fact that it is a UK-wide issue. 

We know that a certain percentage of people make their minds up according to the morning's headlines, so it's no real surprise that polls have narrowed.