Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Speaking as someone who lives in Possilpark it certainly keeps our decimated community from losing hope to think that our nation has punched above its weight as a result of being the union!

Just think how much worse it would be if the government of your country had to find somewhere in the region of £12.6Bn of cuts to help balance their spending to revenues. 

12 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Blame for what though?

Most Scots are not Unionist, most residents are unfortunately.

Edit; 53% of those born in Scotland voted Yes last time round.

Ooh, I'm trying to decide if you think that polling in Scotland should be limited to those who are 100% Scottish. How many generations would they need to provide papers for? 

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

I said that in error and you're right to pull me up on it.

Most voters in Scotland are Unionists.  Not the same as most Scots being Unionists.

Thank you.

Why do you think we are "aggrieved" and what are we blaming others for?

I don't, [mention=44711]The_Kincardine[/mention] said most Scots were Unionist, we are not.

Now, just to clarify - do you mean Scots that reside in Scotland or Scots generally?

So is it only Scots that live in Scotland that are entitled to vote on the future of the country or Scots that are pyoor-bred but happen to be away overseas at the time of the vote get a postal or be denied?

Or those that arrived here and grew up as and identify as Scots but can prove nothing more than that should be included or denied?

Ooft. Mind blown as to where you draw your lines. I reckon Registered to Vote in the constituency = entitled to a valid vote. Other opinions are of course welcome.

31 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Most Scots are nationalsts  who recognise that we've punched above our weight in Union since 1707.

The aggrieved are the pathetic rump of England who keep looking for others to blame.

Spot on Kinc and FTFY.

Once we ditch these hangers on from south of the border what a nation we shall be!

3 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Now, just to clarify - do you mean Scots that reside in Scotland or Scots generally?

So is it only Scots that live in Scotland that are entitled to vote on the future of the country or Scots that are pyoor-bred but happen to be away overseas at the time of the vote get a postal or be denied?

Or those that arrived here and grew up as and identify as Scots but can prove nothing more than that should be included or denied?

Ooft. Mind blown as to where you draw your lines. I reckon Registered to Vote in the constituency = entitled to a valid vote. Other opinions are of course welcome.

He never said anything about being able to vote. As you said earlier, it’s time for your bed, you’re clearly overtired.

5 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

How about the electorate being fed a litany of lies by Vote Leave? (Big fat lie on a big fat red bus)…..is that a valid excuse?

The funny thing about that bus was that the figure wasn't a big fat lie. That is how much the UK paid to the EU every week just for membership of the club. Where they obscured the truth was that they didn't factor in the rebate that the UK gets back from the EU in their figures, and it was also highly unlikely that all of the money saved would be put into the NHS anyway. 

Anyway, regardless, I think most people in the UK are sensible enough to realise that politicians lie and obscure the truth. Just look at the current campaigns of all of the parties for evidence of that. 

6 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Thank you.

Why do you think we are "aggrieved" and what are we blaming others for?

The 'why' I can't answer but that grievance politics is a big feature on the UK landscape is a given.  We see it with the Brexit voters and it's writ large in Scotland.

Who do the Natters blame?  Obviously Tories, The English, Westminster, coffin dodgers, Rangers fans, The BBC, the MSM and the Orange Order.  The list of who not to blame is probably shorter.

The who is easy.  The why is problematic.  Devolution gave Scotland the chance to create a delightful state within a state but you fucked that up.  Rather than emphasising Scottish civic pride (of which I'm an ardent proponent) and developing Scottish education and all the good things that we Scots take a pride in all that Devolved Scotland has done over the past decade is become a bitter wee country of division and enmity.

My thesis is that IndyRef2 should be put on hold for 5 years to allow Devolved Scotland to become a better version of itself.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

The 'why' I can't answer but that grievance politics is a big feature on the UK landscape is a given.  We see it with the Brexit voters and it's writ large in Scotland.

Who do the Natters blame?  Obviously Tories, The English, Westminster, coffin dodgers, Rangers fans, The BBC, the MSM and the Orange Order.  The list of who not to blame is probably shorter.

The who is easy.  The why is problematic.  Devolution gave Scotland the chance to create a delightful state within a state but you fucked that up.  Rather than emphasising Scottish civic pride (of which I'm an ardent proponent) and developing Scottish education and all the good things that we Scots take a pride in all that Devolved Scotland has done over the past decade is become a bitter wee country of division and enmity.

My thesis is that IndyRef2 should be put on hold for 5 years to allow Devolved Scotland to become a better version of itself.

Fooling no one m9.

9 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Found myself agreeing with all of that. 

What I also find interesting about the Nationalist movement is how quickly their heroes are cast aside or thrown under a bus when they diverge from Central Office diktat. 

It happened to Margo MacDonald when she dared to support Alex Neil in the leadership election against Alex Salmond when she was labelled a Fundamentalists and resigned from the party to stand as an Independent.

It's happened to Jim Sillars - a hero and former Deputy Leader who like his wife had won Govan for the SNP - now often ridiculed by Nationalists because he dares to have an opinion that doesn't follow the step of the rest of the party, like when he pointed out the absurdity of the SNP position on Brexit. 

Sillars claimed the party “don’t seem to be able to answer” the following question: “Isn’t it a contradiction to want to be independent of England in a country of 60 million people where we have nine percent representation in a sovereign parliament, to then want to be part of a larger union of 28 member states where our vote in the European Parliament is one percent and we would have very little influence?”

Or Alex Neil - cast asunder after saying

....the Scottish government's drive to be "run by Brussels" risked alienating him and others in the SNP.

And their "Wings" man - the twat from Bath. In 2014 they were shovelling money at him to get his wee book printed and distributed cause it was a better work of fiction than the White Paper. These days though he's wanting to set up his own party to compete with the SNP in elections so he's being torn apart by his former supporters using some of the twats veiws on transgenders to beat him with. 

There's loads more of course. Some of the faithful are even pushing distance between themselves and Alex Salmond as he faces trial for his 14 counts of sexual misconduct.