Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

On 25/11/2019 at 18:40, Paco said:

Not really sure if that poll shows anything at all to be honest. 45% of the people asked would vote Yes, 24% of those asked voted to leave and the rest don’t want either or don’t give a f**k.

Showed that more people wanted Indy than either Brexit or the status quo.

Here's some more good news though.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Since he hired him for the Telegraph and Spectator it would be totally inappropriate.

It's a disgrace that's he doing any interviews at all but that would be beyond the pale.

He interviewed him for the Tory leadership and wasn't gentle.

8 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
40 minutes ago, Detournement said:
I can't wait until Neil interviews Boris and asks him about all of this......

I'm sure Neil will be well read up on the P&B politics page

He is from Paisley so he might still follow Scottish football a wee bit. Have heard it said that he's a Rangers fan. Surprised the leaders agreed to these interviews. All too predictable that he was going to go for the jugular rather than adopting a more traditional deferential approach with pre-agreed questions.

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

He is from Paisley so he might still follow Scottish football a wee bit. Have heard it said that he's a Rangers fan. Surprised the leaders agreed to these interviews. All too predictable that he was going to go for the jugular rather than adopting a more traditional deferential approach with pre-agreed questions.

I don't think it matters that if the questions are agreed or not.

It's the fact that it's relentlessly negative. There's no "How would you improve X" It's just sniping at fairly irrelevant points.

4 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Eh, maybe you haud oan a wee minute Malky.

I'm in business and the last year or so has been abject torture. I certainly ain't thriving and getting richer. As far as I can see - in my admittedly narrow scope -  no-one is making any major investment decisions until Brexit picks a direction to go off in. From a business owners perspective, I now just don't care - I want it resolved one way or another. The small crumb of comfort that I can take is that we had virtually the exact same situation in the run up to September 2014. And, funnily enough, once that issue was decided it was like someone had turned the lights back on and normal service resumed almost overnight.

The lack of clarity from the Labour Party, the denial of the result by the Lib Dems and the perma-obstructiveness of the SNP over the past year or so means Boris is the only one offering a clear direction. His super clean super green super car (or whatever it was he said) wanting to get going is a quite apt metaphor. Too much time has been spent agonising over the result. The genie is now out of the bottle and these characters need to find a way forward. Soon.  And as much as it'll likely pain the majority on here, the only way that is going to happen is a decent Tory majority. Then we can all get on with the thriving. 'Getting on with the day job' as it were...

Aye, well what I meant was that the growth figures suggested that business in general was still growing and doing well, but yeah I agree with you in that once it's settled a lot of the held back investment will come forward. Stability is what the country needs

Well, to continue your metaphor, it seems the majority felt your leg was gangrenous.

Your objection to Johnson is perfectly fair. Your objection and wish to frustrate the result is not.
Hmmm....so the next time I walk through my local park and see a distressed young person obviously self-harming I'll cheerily holler 'fill your boots' before swiftly walking on. How very 2019 Tory, but I'm here to help.

As for the inference of denying a democratic result, that may have had some substance were the Leave campaign not a litany of lies, financial impropriety, social media falsehoods and black propaganda.

You think I'm going to meekly nod that thro at the risk of my granddaughters' future ? f**k right off.

2 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Every side of a referendum always has scaremongering. It’s up to the person voting to ensure that that they know what they are voting for.

Really?.....so truth sails out the window because 'all is fair in love and war?'...'achieve the end by whatever means?'...do you subscribe to this Trumpian blueprint for all elections? So I guess it was FAR TOO MUCH for the public to be told pertinent facts which were actually...……..TRUE?

Hmmm....so the next time I walk through my local park and see a distressed young person obviously self-harming I'll cheerily holler 'fill your boots' before swiftly walking on. How very 2019 Tory, but I'm here to help.

As for the inference of denying a democratic result, that may have had some substance were the Leave campaign not a litany of lies, financial impropriety, social media falsehoods and black propaganda.

You think I'm going to meekly nod that thro at the risk of my granddaughters' future ? f**k right off.

All perfectly fair. And you’ll maybe be self aware enough to see some sympathy in the last couple of paragraphs with the more enquiring minds as to the premise of Scottish Independence?

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Always thought it was class that the Tories managed to get "Labour were personally responsible for the global financial crash" inserted into the accepted public wisdom.

They didn't do it alone.  The Lib Dems were saying it too.

Before the crash the Tories were saying "Vote Tory and we will match Labour spending" but that was quickly forgotten afterwards.

Funny how a Labour UK government was able to persuade American banks to lend money to people who could not afford it not to mention dozens of other countries. 

Edited by Fullerene

35 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

All perfectly fair. And you’ll maybe be self aware enough to see some sympathy in the last couple of paragraphs with the more enquiring minds as to the premise of Scottish Independence?

I'm perfectly happy for opponents of Scottish Independence to vigorously and rigorously fight their corner, as long as the  arguments are as far as possible grounded in fact.  In that regard there is no comparison between the discredited Vote Leave claims of 2016 and any other UK referendum in my lifetime, including that of 2014.

Paradoxically, I believe that most Scots, including myself, would have accepted that 2014 result had Cameron not fatally decided that with one referendum in the bag he would twist at 19 over the long-running Tory schism over the EU membership issue.  That's right, a Tory schism, exploited to the full by Farage, and yet Unionists now have the gall to  lecture the Scottish electorate about a 'once-in-a-lifetime' decision.

Anyway, you seem a bright lad, you'll be fine in the new Scotland.

12 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm perfectly happy for opponents of Scottish Independence to vigorously and rigorously fight their corner, as long as the  arguments are as far as possible grounded in fact. 

Except New Scotland isn't grounded in fact but entirely on rhetoric and is altogether a sad opportunity for the aggrieved and the disaffected.

6 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Why are we aggrieved? 

Should we just put up and shut up or try and do something about it?

Most Scots are Unionist and most Scots recognise that we've punched above our weight in Union since 1707.

The aggrieved are the pathetic rump of Scotland who keep looking for others to blame.

Edited by The_Kincardine

2 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Aye, well what I meant was that the growth figures suggested that business in general was still growing and doing well, but yeah I agree with you in that once it's settled a lot of the held back investment will come forward. Stability is what the country needs

There he is! Answer the question Malky, yes or no?

If you fancy answering my other one, I'll repeat it: If your vote was in uxbridge(like mine), would you vote for Boris Johnson?

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Most Scots are Unionist and most Scots recognise that we've punched above our weight in Union since 1707.

The aggrieved are the pathetic rump of Scotland who keep looking for others to blame.

Gin goes in, hatred comes out. Sad state of affairs this. 

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Blame for what though?

Most Scots are not Unionist, most residents are unfortunately.

Edit; 53% of those born in Scotland voted Yes last time round.

Edited by johnnydun