Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

4 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Yes is polling at 49% in that poll. 

We may as Yes supporters want it to be higher, but to say the numbers are not good regarding another referendum is just ludicrous.   

I find it disappointing that despite everything that has happened in the past three and a half years, at best things now seem to be on a knife edge, rather than decisively in favour of independence.

Also there's the fact that if we lose the next referendum it's the end of Sturgeon and the matter would then be done for a generation. Nobody comes close to having the gravitas or political nous that she does. It has to be her to lead this, even if it means waiting.

Think Labour will outperform current polling significantly. Its committment to compensate WASPI women and Johnson's dismissal of the woman who raised the issue on QT could be May's no magic money tree response to the nurse requesting a pay rise in 2017.

The numbers of women impacted equate to 8% of electorate. Add in a big slice of partners and kids I think this election has just taken a turn for the better. There are approx 300,000 women affected in Scotland alone. Any guesses where their votes are going now. This will shift the dynamic of the election imo.

Edited by Bedford White

1 minute ago, Bedford White said:

Think Labour will outperform current polling significantly. Its committment to compensate WASPI women and Johnson's dismissal of the women who raised the issue on QT could be May's no magic money tree response to the nurse requesting a pay rise in 2017.

The numbers of women impacted equate to 8% of electorate. Add in a big slice of partners and kids I think this election has just taken a turn for the better. There are approx 300,000 women affected in Scotland alone. Any guesses where their votes are going now. This will shift the dynamic of the election imo.

5% public sector pay rise too.

Just now, welshbairn said:

5% public sector pay rise too.

Yep. Been out campaigning today. Vote is soft for all parties but Labour have big offers for the millions of public sector workers, young people , a lot of BAME communities wont vote Tory and now WASPI women (an age group who would traditionally support The Tories but have been shafted by them). All to play for 😁

19 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

How so? Please be very specific about the level of tolerance I should display towards a party and its supporters who’ve relished austerity, the destruction of the NHS, created a hostile environment for immigrants, deported the windrush population, put profit before lives with Grenfell cladding etc, introduced PIP assessments where staff are rewarded for dismissing cases, sold weapons to evil regimes like Saudi (which have been used directly against the UK’s own foreign policy) and Bahrain, dragging Scotland out the EU refusing to consider its parliament and generally treating us with contempt? Just what level of tolerance should I have for people who passionately believe a corrupt, calculated, evil, racist p***k like Boris Johnson should be Prime Minister? Any Scottish person who votes tory in particular needs to have a fucking word with themselves for gleefully voting in someone who so overtly hates Scotland. Perhaps in the 1990’s/2000’s under Cameron etc that people could argue the Tories were not a hard right party but you just can’t make that argument anymore.

I fucking despise the conservative party, there isn’t a strong enough phrase in the English language for just how much I hate them and loathe every greedy thing they stand for.

They have no redeeming features.

So. You are talking about the party then.

So. You are talking about the party then.

The party and the people who put them in the position to implement the above. The tories aren’t hiding what they do, what they stand for, its pretty obvious what their values are, if you vote for the tories you can’t be surprised when they go even harder than previous.

The party and the people who put them in the position to implement the above. The tories aren’t hiding what they do, what they stand for, its pretty obvious what their values are, if you vote for the tories you can’t be surprised when they go even harder than previous.
I don't know if you're young or not but I've met people (quite a few) who are good, decent people but who have completely different political views from me. Life is complicated, and people from all backgrounds with all sorts of strange views can't be just written off and defined by the party they vote for.

I can't argue with your criticism on any of those issues but life is not that black and white when you're talking about people sticking a cross next to a name on a voting slip.

I don't know if you're young or not but I've met people (quite a few) who are good, decent people but who have completely different political views from me. Life is complicated, and people from all backgrounds with all sorts of strange views can't be just written off and defined by the party they vote for.

I can't argue with your criticism on any of those issues but life is not that black and white when you're talking about people sticking a cross next to a name on a voting slip.
Your second paragraph referencing colours is rather at odds with your name and avatar LOL.

As for your first paragraph, it is a fair sentiment but today's Tories have crossed lines that even Thatcher baulked at. I deserted Labour when Blair had his Iraq abomination, and I would expect 'decent' people to similarly ask themselves serious questions of a continuing commitment to the present day Conservative Party.

If they do not, then I reserve the right to respond accordingly. It has already led to 'situations', but sometimes decisions really can be that easy.

55 minutes ago, Bedford White said:

Think Labour will outperform current polling significantly. Its committment to compensate WASPI women and Johnson's dismissal of the woman who raised the issue on QT could be May's no magic money tree response to the nurse requesting a pay rise in 2017.

This is fantasy island thinking. FIrstly, voters do not choose based on their narrow self interest alone, regardless of the amount of bribes being passed off as 'policies' by the two abysmal major parties in the UK right now. And crucially, nobody actually believes a word that Labour nor their useless mumbleclown leader says.  So they can talk all they want about all the great things that they're going to do with power - it doesn't matter because absolutely no one expects them to get in and so files their latest nonsense in the bin where it belongs. 

Your second paragraph referencing colours is rather at odds with your name and avatar LOL.

As for your first paragraph, it is a fair sentiment but today's Tories have crossed lines that even Thatcher baulked at. I deserted Labour when Blair had his Iraq abomination, and I would expect 'decent' people to similarly ask themselves serious questions of a continuing commitment to the present day Conservative Party.

If they do not, then I reserve the right to respond accordingly. It has already led to 'situations', but sometimes decisions really can be that easy.
It has already led to 'situations'?

Hmmm. Don't be one of those guys.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm still hoping that the "soft" Tory vote has been seriously under counted in the polls.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

This is fantasy island thinking. FIrstly, voters do not choose based on their narrow self interest alone, regardless of the amount of bribes being passed off as 'policies' by the two abysmal major parties in the UK right now. And crucially, nobody actually believes a word that Labour nor their useless mumbleclown leader says.  So they can talk all they want about all the great things that they're going to do with power - it doesn't matter because absolutely no one expects them to get in and so files their latest nonsense in the bin where it belongs. 

I suggest you have a look at WASPI sites. They are fuming at Johnson for reneging on promises. The offer is up to £31,000 with an average pay out of £15,000. 

You can dismiss it if you like. I got responses from women affected in marginal Bedford today and let's say I was pleasantly surprised.

Others think the same.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/general-election-state-pension-ages-women-homeless-waspi-a9201126.html%3Famp&ved=2ahUKEwjE9czrwoPmAhXxoFwKHZrGBmEQiJQBMAB6BAgJEAQ&usg=AOvVaw0khFqm9jGLfz0jsRcmXg2M&ampcf=1

Im sorry I just cannot agree, the tories are just horrible people. I think when a party represents the things we associate with the tories there is no redeeming feature. You can’t take the homer approach of ‘I disagree with his Bart killing policy but I agree with his Selma killing policy’ and vote for Sideshow Bob, you have to make a decision based on your values, if your values align with the actions, policies and behaviour of the tory party/politicians then you’re a wrong yin. You can’t say its acceptable to vote tory because they’ll cut your tax but not give a shit that they are responsible for the death of tens of thousands or are horrible c***s like Rees Mogg and Johnson.

The small c in the Conservative party which used to be a reasonable excuse for voting Tory has gone out of the window since they invented Brexit. Fiscal conservatism, free market, pro business, gradual reform where necessary has gone out the window. They're now the Nihilist Anarchist Collective that even daft students would stay clear of.

Edited by welshbairn

It has already led to 'situations'?

Hmmm. Don't be one of those guys.
I'm actually not one of those guys, but for example I had occasion recently in a social situation to challenge an avowed Tory who was claiming that there should be no need for food banks in this country.

I readily agreed of course, but thereafter the determination of the issue became a slight problem.

What would you have done ?