Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

This union has been so successful that Scotland's population in comparison with rUK has dropped significantly over the last 3 centuries.

It continues to do so....

Our biggest export has been and still is our people. We will soon be in a position where our aged population will struggle to sustain itself. The country is literally dying a slow death.

Westminsters policies are aimed at the SE of England. They are doing and will do nothing to address Scotland's need. Indeed the xenophobic end of freedom of movement is going to drastically exacerbate the situation.

That is why we need independence.

3 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

This union has been so successful that Scotland's population in comparison with rUK has dropped significantly over the last 3 centuries.

It continues to do so....

Our biggest export has been and still is our people. We will soon be in a position where our aged population will struggle to sustain itself. The country is literally dying a slow death.

Westminsters policies are aimed at the SE of England. They are doing and will do nothing to address Scotland's need. Indeed the xenophobic end of freedom of movement is going to drastically exacerbate the situation.

That is why we need independence.

Perhaps you should be telling your fellow nationalists that they shouldn't be telling people like me to f**k off out their country then...... 

You understand, I take it, that net migration is only a problem for Scotland IF we become Independent though don't you? As part of the UK it really isn't an issue as it doesn't matter where in the UK people choose to live and work. The money all goes into the pot all the same. 

Maybe if the SNP wasn't so keen on destabilising the Scottish economy with its constant demand to break from our successful union, Scotland might appear to be more attractive to immigrants again. 

Perhaps you should be telling your fellow nationalists that they shouldn't be telling people like me to f**k off out their country then...... 
You understand, I take it, that net migration is only a problem for Scotland IF we become Independent though don't you? As part of the UK it really isn't an issue as it doesn't matter where in the UK people choose to live and work. The money all goes into the pot all the same. 
Maybe if the SNP wasn't so keen on destabilising the Scottish economy with its constant demand to break from our successful union, Scotland might appear to be more attractive to immigrants again. 
It seems I wildly overestimated you....

6 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
8 hours ago, Malky3 said:

It seems I wildly overestimated you....

It's not inaccurate though is it? 

When Gordon Brown threw open the gates and welcomed everyone who wanted to come here in - the majority of immigrants opted to live in England. In fact ONLY 4% of those who chose to move to the UK chose Scotland as their new home. ONS figures for net migration in more recent years is shown in the attachment. 

As I've said it has no consequence what so ever for a Scotland that remains in the UK. Workers coming to the UK and paying their National Insurance and Taxes will keep the pension pot ticking over right across the whole of the UK. It only becomes an issue if Scotland becomes an Independent country - at which point Scotland's ageing population becomes a real problem. 

If I was a Nationalist I'd be keen to look at the reasons as to which immigrants find Scotland so unappealing. I'd venture strongly that a major factor - behind the weather - would be the political instability in Scotland - which seems obvious given the worst figures were in 2013 and 2014 in the build up to the Independence referendum. Given the opportunity they were certainly flocking to the UK pre Brexit - just not to Scotland. Surely you agree there has to have been a reason. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by Malky3

7 hours ago, Malky3 said:

It's not inaccurate though is it? 

When Gordon Brown threw open the gates and welcomed everyone who wanted to come here in - the majority of immigrants opted to live in England. In fact ONLY 4% of those who chose to move to the UK chose Scotland as their new home. ONS figures for net migration in more recent years is shown in the attachment. 

As I've said it has no consequence what so ever for a Scotland that remains in the UK. Workers coming to the UK and paying their National Insurance and Taxes will keep the pension pot ticking over right across the whole of the UK. It only becomes an issue if Scotland becomes an Independent country - at which point Scotland's ageing population becomes a real problem. 

If I was a Nationalist I'd be keen to look at the reasons as to which immigrants find Scotland so unappealing. I'd venture strongly that a major factor - behind the weather - would be the political instability in Scotland - which seems obvious given the worst figures were in 2013 and 2014 in the build up to the Independence referendum. Given the opportunity they were certainly flocking to the UK pre Brexit - just not to Scotland. Surely you agree there has to have been a reason. 

Capture.PNG

I'm confused Someone pointed out since the Union Scotland's relative  population to the rUK has dropped. Your defence of the Union  is to present a table that shows this is still happening.

FWIW I think Scotland's current  migration figures might have more to do with the numbers employed in the oil industry than any political pish. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One week in, not much movement. 

Its still a way too go, but its a worry. 

This election is likely to be very regional and even very seat specific. But Labour will need to be within 3% of the Tories at the most to prevent a Tory majority on the assumption, SNP picking up 10 Tory seats, Lib dems picking up about another 10. 

Just now, Day of the Lords said:
8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
I don’t understand what this is showing.

"All" is simply the predicted vote share. Then each column is a breakdown of where each party's 2017 vote will go.

Right, I get it now.  16% of 2017 Lib Dem voters to us is surprising but welcome news.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Can't see 10% of the 2017 Lib Dem vote going to the Brexit Party.

Seems feasible to me. They're bound to have had an element of wooly-headed wishy-washy middle-class centrists* who also indulge in a bit of the old racism on the side**. Presumably they calculated that losing that element of support was worth going all-in on pro-EU and picking up Con/Lab voters who've been dismayed by their party's decision to leave the EU at all costs.

I don't believe for a second that the party leaders actually give a shit about staying in the EU. They've just seen an opportunity to get back into government.

* I put my Daily Mail hat on there for a second, calm down.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave
** sorry, I meant "have genuine and legitimate concerns about the current irreversible direction taken by the European Union".