Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

23 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

To be fair, apart from losers such as Stephen Daisley, I'm not sure anybody takes what "Mr Malky" and the likes are spouting on Twitter all that seriously. 

'Mr Malky' once tweeted me some nonsense cause I'd once mentioned I'd been to Nandos! :1eye

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

You can find a lot of yer da 45 types on Twitter these days calling Cat Boyd a unionist plant.

I'm more disappointed with the performance of her side railing against other Yessers than I am seeing her getting ripped, the far left are an irrelevance that we can all do without.

Like most polls it drastically downplays the youth vote, which is why they got it so wrong in the build up to the election.

To be fair, we’re also in a Scotland-style scenario where 52% of the country are inclined to vote for May as long as she’s promising Brexit, even if it means the country literally sinks.

3 hours ago, Paco said:

Like most polls it drastically downplays the youth vote, which is why they got it so wrong in the build up to the election.

To be fair, we’re also in a Scotland-style scenario where 52% of the country are inclined to vote for May as long as she’s promising Brexit, even if it means the country literally sinks.

Are we? Corbyn backs a f**k the UK Brexit more than May ever will? 

FFS May ran a GE where she was hoping to lose and still won.  

Edited by Antiochas III

Are we? Corbyn backs a f**k the UK Brexit more than May ever will? 

FFS May ran a GE where she was hoping to lose and still won.  

Corbyn, this week at least, supports maintaining the benefits of the single market in one way or another, and would put a meaningful vote to MPs. Him becoming PM would also likely mean a coalition with pro-EU parties such as the Lib Dems and the SNP who would be very unlikely to support anything that isn’t the very ‘softest’ of Brexit’s.

Not even sure what the second part is supposed to mean.

Labour’s position on Brexit is all over the place though, no question of that. I suspect however the same would be true of Conservatives if they were in opposition, as it would the SNP if areas like Glasgow and Dundee had voted to Leave, as many of Labour’s ‘traditional’ seats did.

The party in government have a hardline ruthlessly committed to pursuing it and the other party are aware it's electorally beneficial to be somewhat committed to it while probably realising the longer the farce goes on the likelier it'll be the public will swing behind a better compromise solution.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

The party in government have a hardline ruthlessly committed to pursuing it and the other party are aware it's electorally beneficial to be somewhat committed to it while probably realising the longer the farce goes on the likelier it'll be the public will swing behind a better compromise solution.

If they believe that the government position will eventually drive voters away, why not commit to a set of 'compromise' positions now? I guess the 'probably' in your post is the big giveaway.  Labour, even if they are certain Brexit will drive the bus over the edge of the cliff, want to be in with a chance of being at the wheel as the ground approaches.

If they believe that the government position will eventually drive voters away, why not commit to a set of 'compromise' positions now? I guess the 'probably' in your post is the big giveaway.  Labour, even if they are certain Brexit will drive the bus over the edge of the cliff, want to be in with a chance of being at the wheel as the ground approaches.

I'd hazard a guess that enough swing voters have a big enough hard on for a full Brexit still so it's best to just let the Tories carry on fucking it up. Remainers will realistically either back centrist Labour MPs who still talk about avoiding Brexit or back Labour with gritted teeth because the Lib Dems are a busted flush. It's apparent that many UKIP voters backed Labour and I think they need enough time to digest that maybe some good old fashioned social democracy is worth a fudge on the Brexit process.

20 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I'd hazard a guess that enough swing voters have a big enough hard on for a full Brexit still so it's best to just let the Tories carry on fucking it up. Remainers will realistically either back centrist Labour MPs who still talk about avoiding Brexit or back Labour with gritted teeth because the Lib Dems are a busted flush. It's apparent that many UKIP voters backed Labour and I think they need enough time to digest that maybe some good old fashioned social democracy is worth a fudge on the Brexit process.

That's just New Labour-esque triangulation though: Find the position most people will support rather than persuading them of your point. Either that, or Corbyn genuinely would like a relatively hard Brexit, he's never been a Europhile, his campaigning for the EU was a mirror of May's tepid, near invisible support and he looked awfy keen to send article 50 off the day the vote was known. Maybe it's not triangulation, maybe Corbyn is keen to go base jumping off the Brexit cliff and Momentum have his shadow cabinet runnign scared of speaking up?

8 minutes ago, renton said:

That's just New Labour-esque triangulation though: Find the position most people will support rather than persuading them of your point. Either that, or Corbyn genuinely would like a relatively hard Brexit, he's never been a Europhile, his campaigning for the EU was a mirror of May's tepid, near invisible support and he looked awfy keen to send article 50 off the day the vote was known. Maybe it's not triangulation, maybe Corbyn is keen to go base jumping off the Brexit cliff and Momentum have his shadow cabinet runnign scared of speaking up?

Nobody is actually scared of Momentum apart from centrist melts that are just upset that they're getting played an absolute dullion at the game they were supposedly winners of.  And Brexit's one issue that's obviously not that important to Corbyn and his team because a) they aren't in government and can't alter the trajectory until they win an election and b) because contrary to the belief of the commentariat there isn't a magical position Labour can take that will pump them 20 points ahead in the polls so no position is best for a party that'll do what's expedient in winning power and delivering a social democratic manifesto.