Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

22 minutes ago, Left Back said:

The last time the monarch refused to carry out the wishes of the PM was in 1708.  She is bound to follow the advice and requests of the government under Royal Prerogative.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn03861/

ETA that's why she prorogued parliament at Johnson's request, even though everyone knew he was explicitly trying to subvert parliament by proroguing it.  She had zero choice.

You asked me to point to a piece of legislation, I did.  I ask you the same, you don’t.

ETA interesting article offering the view of a constitutional expert that supports my position.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/tom-swarbrick/queen-could-block-boris-johnson-calling-general-election/

Edited by Granny Danger

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Afraid not, as has already been demonstrated.

Can't help but feel you're being dreadfully naïve here.

If Her Nibs had really not wanted parliament prorogued, for example, it would've been quashed without any of us even knowing about it, never mind the question being asked.

If the mop headed c**t calls a GE before the autumn I fear the Tories might just about inexplicably cling on. Starmer is still slightly hamstrung at the moment by having to play to the middle-England gallery and not go in fully swinging on issues of principle. (Durham Police could still trip him up yet, too) Any later than autumn though, and the toxic payload of energy bills/inflation/discontent/etc kicking in should surely kill them off, provided Lab/LD tactical voting works.

Would be really delicious if he called a snap poll and lost his seat, even more so if there's a 1997 style purge of all the worst pondlife in the cabinet as well. F**k the lot of them.

1 hour ago, Zern said:

It's not equivalent. The Tories and Labour realistically will be the two largest parties elected, so the choice is between those two blocs with some question over whether either would be popular enough to form a government on their own. In that circumstance the SNP, like the Lib-Dems, would not initiate anything, they could only wait for overtures from Labour or the Tories.

Whether or not they'd have the power you describe there is irrelevant.  If they were to have any influence on govt formation after overtures from Labour or the Tories (as you put it) then that would back up the original point, which was:

... demonstrate that Scottish votes *do* matter at Westminster after all.

8 minutes ago, Scorge said:

If the mop headed c**t calls a GE before the autumn I fear the Tories might just about inexplicably cling on. Starmer is still slightly hamstrung at the moment by having to play to the middle-England gallery and not go in fully swinging on issues of principle. (Durham Police could still trip him up yet, too) Any later than autumn though, and the toxic payload of energy bills/inflation/discontent/etc kicking in should surely kill them off, provided Lab/LD tactical voting works.

Would be really delicious if he called a snap poll and lost his seat, even more so if there's a 1997 style purge of all the worst pondlife in the cabinet as well. F**k the lot of them.

I have no idea what you’re basing that on.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I have no idea what you’re basing that on.

Combination of pessimism about large chunks of England, and George Carlin's quote about stupid people (deeply unscientific I know, but hey, we're all armchair guessers here).

1 minute ago, Scorge said:

Combination of pessimism about large chunks of England, and George Carlin's quote about stupid people (deeply unscientific I know, but hey, we're all armchair guessers here).

We may indeed be ‘armchair guessers’ but there are opinion polls available that show the likely outcome of an election.

It’s all moot anyway, the Tories won’t call a GE given the size of their existing majority and boundary changes that will assist them don’t come into effect until mid 2023.

Always worth bearing in mind that, even if he suffered a deeply humiliating election defeat, Boris will happily stagger on through his life of privilege, in a variety of fantastically-paid "jobs" that involve no work, doing literally whatever and whoever he fancies, until the inevitable knighthood and state funeral.

Maybe he'll even end up as a P&B hero in twenty years, as Michael Portillo seemed to.

16 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Not going to happen.  Let’s assume you’re correct about him having the power to do it on his own (you’re not) then he probably wouldn’t get selected to fight the seat.

I think any fair minded person would not agree that's what I said. I said "If BoJo does wangle an early election".

I'm pretty confident, however, that my view on the monarch is correct. It would hardly be a constitutional monarchy if the monarch exercised actual political power over the executive.  

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I think any fair minded person would not agree that's what I said. I said "If BoJo does wangle an early election".

I'm pretty confident, however, that my view on the monarch is correct. It would hardly be a constitutional monarchy if the monarch exercised actual political power over the executive.  

I thought you were out of this conversation!!!

If any PM were to approach the monarch and, with the backing of their party, we’re to ask for a dissolution then, imo, a) it would certainly be granted, and b) if it wasn’t then there would be a major constitutional crisis.

What I was discussing was a PM without the backing of their parliamentary colleagues and with a significant majority of MPs was making such a request.  In that case I think the monarch would exercise discretion.  The article that I posted quoting Professor Vernon Bogdanor, Professor of Government at King's College London concurred fully with that.  He suggested Lizzie would probably not agree straight away and wait to see if Johnson was quickly replaced as leader of his party.

On 24/06/2022 at 08:36, Hedgecutter said:

I have images of her quitting her job in meltdown fashion going into one of the country's safest seats.

"... and f*** you too Hannah, you biscuit stealing whoor, and Gary, get rid of that ponytail, you look like a twat, and Carrie, you're without doubt the most boring person I've ever met. So f***ing boring I feigned Covid when I found out I was at the same table as you at the Christmas dinner."

Seems terribly authentic...

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
53 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:
emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Not sure why you laugh, he has a point. Unless Labour change their stance on the subject, they've lost Scotland forever

Nah. 

Labour are a Unionist party. Scotland favours remaining in the Union and Labour are doing well without having to change their stance. 

It's funny to see SNP/Indy supporters trying to attach their ideological identity issues onto something that's doing well and claiming that that's what people care about. 

10 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Labour are doing well without having to change their stance. 

They’re doing well UK wide because the Tories have out-Toried even themselves. Seems to be much the same in Scotland and the SNP are still absolutely humping them. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/apr/09/scottish-labour-revival-polls-may-elections

Labour are highly unlikely to get an overall majority as things stand. Their great hope is that tactical voting down south will gain enough Libdem seats to not require the SNP to form a government. While they might do a few swaps with the Tories and maybe the odd gain from the SNP they aren't going to get more than single figures up here as their entire policy platform (anti EU, anti Immigration,  anti SM & CU, anti FoM and silent on constitutional reform like PR and the HoL), it would appear to me anyway, is designed to piss off as many people in Scotland as possible. 

(assuming we're still here at the next GE of course). 

While Sarwar seems more competent than some of his predecessors, Starmer and the right of the main party have sidelined him completely so my guess is he'll be no more successful than that Rupert Lapdancer fellow he replaced.

f**k Labour. f**k the UK etc etc. 

Edited by williemillersmoustache