Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

28 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

How does that work?

I'd love to have the easy answer to that! However, I'd hope that easy access to the EU would lead to a marked increase in Scotland - Europe trade, without the disastrous impact on business we're seeing with Brexit. I'd like to think this trade would lead to inward investment from Europe and a greater opportunity for Scottish companies to expand into Europe for manufacturing and creating closer ties with Europe and, of course, England. I'm no economist so only taking what seems a sensible approach. 

17 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I'd love to have the easy answer to that! However, I'd hope that easy access to the EU would lead to a marked increase in Scotland - Europe trade, without the disastrous impact on business we're seeing with Brexit. I'd like to think this trade would lead to inward investment from Europe and a greater opportunity for Scottish companies to expand into Europe for manufacturing and creating closer ties with Europe and, of course, England. I'm no economist so only taking what seems a sensible approach. 

What about trade with our, by far, biggest customer, RUK.?

My business imports from EU countries and the paperwork is no big deal. Instead of receiving goods zero rated for VAT we now pay VAT to the forwarding agent but then claim it back on our VAT returns. A bit extra red tape but not much.

1 minute ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

My business imports from EU countries and the paperwork is no big deal. Instead of receiving goods zero rated for VAT we now pay VAT to the forwarding agent but then claim it back on our VAT returns. A bit extra red tape but not much.

How much do you pay the forwarding agent? 

4 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

25 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

opportunity for Scottish companies to expand into Europe for manufacturing and creating closer ties with Europe and, of course, England.

I'd be very surprised if English companies/businesses stopped trading with Scotland if you're suggesting it would change.

1 hour ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Poverty is getting worse.

Brexit. Loss of trade, extra cost for companies importing and exporting. Because of Tory rule

Inflation. Rampant. Because of Tory Rule.

Cost of living crises. Because Tory rule held back any help to people in most need, indeed withdrew the extra benefit given during covid, when they were warned that it would drop people into poverty. Tory rule.

Child poverty. Worsening year on year since the Tories came in. Because of Tory rule

People who were just keeping their heads above water before this present economic crisis are now drowning and in utter despair. Because of Tory rule.

Because of Tory rule poverty on Britain is worse since records began and is worsening by the day. A Tory government who, quite frankly, do not care about the poor, disadvantaged and the disabled, because they don't contribute to society through no fault of their own. 

This Tory government is the most reactionary right wing administration in history. Even Thatcher didn't go this far. She even changed her policies into her second term when she saw it was destroying Britain.

all good points, so why do the SNP seem incapable of  moving support further forward in terms of independence, when what you state is correct imo and everything seems stacked in the pro-indy favour in terms of building momentum

Edited by BigDoddyKane

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

Why would you think that? The majority of SNP supporters I know come from a left leaning political viewpoint. Tories poll around 20% I doubt that would change much maybe go to 25% after Indy.  Labour can't see the wood for the trees as they and the Greens would be the parties to most profit in an Indy Scotland.

At least they'd be elected by people living in Scotland, for Scotland. Like what happens in normal democratic countries.

As long as independence is tied to the fortunes of the SNP, it's always going to be a huge ask to consistently poll at >50% - even if the party wasn't a complete rabble. Watching John Swinney just now putting in a ruinously bald, specky performance in the Scottish Parliament is enough to make you want to see the place dissolved.

3 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

As long as independence is tied to the fortunes of the SNP, it's always going to be a huge ask to consistently poll at >50% - even if the party wasn't a complete rabble. Watching John Swinney just now putting in a ruinously bald, specky performance in the Scottish Parliament is enough to make you want to see the place dissolved.

People need as equally to see the UK Union as being tied to the fortunes of the Tories. Is Boris “Sir Beer Korma” Johnson preferable?

(In neither case - independence or dependence - SHOULD it come down simply to political parties, but UK nationalism benefits from promoting Labour as a mythical alternative to Tory reality, complete with unicorn promises of unspecified devolution maybe one day if we’re good boys and girls. Independence, on the other hand, is promoted as purely the SNP, which it isn’t.)

43 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

An unbelievable performance today from that arsehole. He is a prime example of why I will not vote SNP.  If he is the best they have for Deputy FM then god help us, the man is a shambling joke.

Asked a simple question about replacement buses and he never even attempted to address it but took the opportunity to slag Labour in Wales. Today was just one constant rabble in the Chamber, it is more like a kid's playground that a parliament.

It is high time that when they are asked a question on a specific subject that they answer it and do not go off rambling about something else.

1 hour ago, Crazy Days said:

An unbelievable performance today from that arsehole. He is a prime example of why I will not vote SNP.  If he is the best they have for Deputy FM then god help us, the man is a shambling joke.

Asked a simple question about replacement buses and he never even attempted to address it but took the opportunity to slag Labour in Wales. Today was just one constant rabble in the Chamber, it is more like a kid's playground that a parliament.

It is high time that when they are asked a question on a specific subject that they answer it and do not go off rambling about something else.

So, the the same as Westminster then?

8 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

So a minority Tory, LD, DUP coalition. 

Highly doubt the Lib Dems will be rushing to get into bed with the Tories again after last time.

If the Tories get the hammering that current polls point to, the interesting question is where LAB/LIB constitutes a majority. In @Granny Danger’s scenario it doesn’t, but 290 seems very optimistic for the Tories on current numbers and 15 would be very disappointing for the Lib Dems.

Starmer and Davey will be desperate to exclude the SNP from any progressive coalition. 

27 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Highly doubt the Lib Dems will be rushing to get into bed with the Tories again after last time.

You're not serious! They'll have their knickers dropped at a moment's notice for a spell making personal contacts at government level. That's the whole point of being in the Lib Dems, surely?

BTW, I'm no longer convinced that Labour would deal with the SNP to form a government. I get the impression there's enough spite and stupidity there that the party leadership would rather allow a minority Tory government to soldier on in the hope that they become more unpopular.

Indeed. I’d like the next parliament to look as follows 

Mhairi Black

Count von Binface

Nadine Dorries as permanent Secretary of the drunk and bewildered

Every single candidate the Monster Raving Loony Party stands 

Mark Francois in a VR headset that constantly runs an image of Will Self glowering at him 

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You're not serious! They'll have their knickers dropped at a moment's notice for a spell making personal contacts at government level. That's the whole point of being in the Lib Dems, surely?

BTW, I'm no longer convinced that Labour would deal with the SNP to form a government. I get the impression there's enough spite and stupidity there that the party leadership would rather allow a minority Tory government to soldier on in the hope that they become more unpopular.

Yes, but almost certainly with Starmer rather than the Tories.

Apart from Tim Farron (Westmorland & Lonsdale) and Alistair Carmichael (Orkney & Shetland), the Lib Dems have lost every seat that they held from 2010-2015. They regained some of them in 2017/2019 and have won some new ones, but the scars from that coalition are still very raw in Lib Dem circles. Davey himself lost his seat, albeit he won it back in 2017 and massively increased his majority in 2019.