Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

49 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

The London intelligensia is advocating carving up Scotland in the event of a Yes-vote. As if partition worked so well in Ireland, India and Palestine. Dumb Brits.

When they start arguing partition, it means they know they have lost the arguments

1 minute ago, git-intae-thum said:

When they start arguing partition, it means they know they have lost the arguments

Also indicates they suspect at least a small “Yes” victory driven by areas of Scotland they have no interest in (exploiting).

53 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

The London intelligensia is advocating carving up Scotland in the event of a Yes-vote. As if partition worked so well in Ireland, India and Palestine. Dumb Brits.

Add that to the idea of putting the Union flag on everything up here and Johnson promising billions to Scotland and you just know they've dusted off the "What to do when Westminster's power is under stress" book.

4 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I wonder if the impending SNP by election win will get as much coverage as the Hartlepool by election win. After all its the same output ie 1 MP so expect wall to wall emoji849.png

In fairness it's not anywhere near as interesting (or hilarious) a story as Labour shedding 14,000 votes (2/3rds!) in 4 years and losing a seat they've held since before The Beatles had a number one

21 hours ago, NotThePars said:

In fairness it's not anywhere near as interesting (or hilarious) a story as Labour shedding 14,000 votes (2/3rds!) in 4 years and losing a seat they've held since before The Beatles had a number one

Their decline started when they parachute Helen Liddell in for that bye election after John  Smith's death. John Reid was no better but Pamela Nash went on to find her true place in a Tory funded SIU. Labour did come close in 2017 when SNP supporters took a rest and I can't see them doing better than 2nd.  I have been known to be wrong and I am off to watch the Diamonds take on Cove.

Guest Bob Mahelp
On 10/05/2021 at 20:17, Crùbag said:

This was published in The Telegraph, who are absolutely SEETHING that 5 years of daily anti-SNP garbage in their Tory rag only resulted in a huge SNP win last Thursday. 

I only look at their headlines as most of the stuff is behind paywalls, but they've had a constant stream of right-wing columnists in the last few days (including that basturd Cochrane) wheeled out to scream and cry and shout. 

They evcen ran an editorial denying that the SNP have a mandate for a second referendum. 

It's horrendous stuff. 

I went to hear him talk at Edinburgh Uni a couple of years ago. His territory is kinda my territory, and even more so the territory of the person I went with. I was really surprised at how poor his grasp of public law actually is. He clearly knows very little case law. I thought he was a legal expert but he's not, he's little more than a political pundit with footnotes.

That claim in there that "any Scottish taxpayer" could challenge a referendum act. That's wrong. Firstly, there's no magical status conferred by being a taxpayer. It doesn't make you more important than, say, a disabled person. But more importantly, you'd need to have locus, and a random punter off the street would not. At the bare minimum you'd need to be a campaign group. 

Still, partition - it's the British way.

Good to see that someone from my Alma Mater has a login for P&B and is stealing my ideas.

Of course, if there is another independence ballot, there should be opt-outs for the regions of Britain who want to remain and the only objection to this would come from the mutton-heads who think Scotland is an homogeneous political entity - which it clearly isn't.

He doesn't go far enough, though.  Any future referendum should also include Westminster assembling a resettlement package for businesses who would want to relocate south - and to use the Barnett Bonus to fund it.

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Good to see that someone from my Alma Mater has a login for P&B and is stealing my ideas.

Of course, if there is another independence ballot, there should be opt-outs for the regions of Britain who want to remain and the only objection to this would come from the mutton-heads who think Scotland is an homogeneous political entity - which it clearly isn't.

He doesn't go far enough, though.  Any future referendum should also include Westminster putting together a resettlement package for businesses who would want to relocate south - and to use the Barnett Bonus to fund it.

Obviously you wanted no opt-outs for parts of Britain which voted Brexit, because you want everyone to hate those Frenchies and Krauts equally. 

Just now, Day of the Lords said:

Jesus, who woke up the racist?

My guess would be gastrointestinal reflux from an evening spent surreptitiously downing the dregs left at the bottom of the glasses of those he was serving at the golf club.

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

He doesn't go far enough, though.  Any future referendum should also include Westminster assembling a resettlement package for businesses who would want to relocate south - and to use the Barnett Bonus to fund it.

Sorry, maybe I missed it, was there a form for Scotland to fill in to have stayed in the EU?  Was there some sort of vow that Boris the Great was meant to have made in an eve of poll speech? Did he forget to mention it? 

40 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

So, by your twisted logic, Dundee, Glasgow, North Lanarkshire & West Dunbartonshire opted out of remaining in the UK in 2014?

You've started drinking early tonight.

8 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

So, by your twisted logic, Dundee, Glasgow, North Lanarkshire & West Dunbartonshire opted out of remaining in the UK in 2014?

You've started drinking early tonight.

Sadly the 2014 referendum wasn't so enlightened but that's about the geographic extent of the Caledonian Transnistria if sanity prevails.

Edit:  Were I still living in Deeside I'd be delighted to be part of the Crown Dependency of Aberdeenshire.

Edited by The_Kincardine

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

The rest of us when a yes vote is returned:

1109491.jpg?b64lines=T3VyIHRyYW5zYWN0aW9uCiBpcyBjb21wbGV0ZWQuIFlvdSBtYXkKIHRha2UgdGhlIGJvcmRlcnMgYnVtcGtpbnMu

The UK still has a handful of stolen overseas territories it can use for it's lebensraum.

Disappointed that some posters would openly flaunt international law and disrespect the territorial integrity of the future Scottish republic though.

7 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The UK still has a handful of stolen overseas territories it can use for it's lebensraum.

Disappointed that some posters would openly flaunt international law and disrespect the territorial integrity of the future Scottish republic though.

Swap Dumfries for the British Antarctic territories during negotiations?