Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

2 hours ago, Pato said:

Patrick Harvie getting a bit of a shoeing there

26% disapprove of Harvie. 26% approve of Johnson. Coincidence?

He's just pissing off raging gammons, which is no bad thing for him.

Edited by Gordon EF

9 hours ago, Pato said:

Patrick Harvie getting a bit of a shoeing there

I'm surprised his disapproval isn't more than 26%. He's a gammon-lightning rod. 

What stands out to me in these polls is how many people don't know any of the leaders in this election except Sturgeon.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

I'm surprised his disapproval isn't more than 26%. He's a gammon-lightning rod. 

What stands out to me in these polls is how many people don't know any of the leaders in this election except Sturgeon.

Lorna Slater came across as confident and forceful in the first Leaders Debate, she certainly impressed most of the females in my family young and old. Could be she is the female politico women will gravitate towards, I know that my female family members viewed Davidson as a bit of a bully.

The most important thing, by a significant distance, is getting a pro-Independence majority, preferably with 65+ SNP MSPs and a healthy number of Greens.

The next thing will be the absolute delight in the Gammon heads going, including the usual suspects in the MSM.

Finally sleepy cuddles and the man in the hat being rinsed would be the cherry on the cake.

51 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Half of UK thinks Scotland should be allowed second independence referendum
Poll reveals less than a quarter of people think UK will exist in current form a decade from now

https://www.ft.com/content/48c70d0a-2d11-4117-8185-933d9f6bdbaa

I'm always wary of these tory rag polls especially in the run in to an election, as I've said before they use polls like this to scare tory and anti Independence voters to get off their arses and vote to keep the nationalists out. It's a well worn tactic.

An attempt can be made to use polls to influence rather than to reflect public opinion. Polls can be manipulated to give a false picture of public opinion. Moreover, there is evidence that since polls are believed to be reliable and useful, the public could be misled by unreliable surveys.

51 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I'm always wary of these tory rag polls especially in the run in to an election, as I've said before they use polls like this to scare tory and anti Independence voters to get off their arses and vote to keep the nationalists out. It's a well worn tactic.

An attempt can be made to use polls to influence rather than to reflect public opinion. Polls can be manipulated to give a false picture of public opinion. Moreover, there is evidence that since polls are believed to be reliable and useful, the public could be misled by unreliable surveys.

This is 100% pish.

And the FT is a long, long way from a "Tory rag".

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

This is 100% pish.

While it's beliefs are that of Liberalism, it has tended to be more Conservative than anything and with people like Rees-Mogg( an arch right winger), and Nigel Lawson( an arch free marketeer), at the helm it does tend to show a more right wing bent. And it has backed Conservatives in general elections more than any other political party. I agree it isn't a Tory rag in the mould of the Mail, Express,Telegraph etc,but  it isn't a 'long' way from a 'Tory rag.

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

This is 100% pish.

I stand by quote that polls can influence voters, you can google it if you need to be convinced, polls and surveys used to influence voters is aa good start

In the 2015 GE the FT backed the Conservative/LD Coalition.

In the 2017  GE the FT backed Thersa May's Conservatives

In  the 2019 GE the FT refused to endorse the Conservatives due to Brexit.

Given the Business, Banking and Industrial readership it's aimed at it would be difficult to describe the aaper as anything other than a tory rag.

At times you are so far up you're self righteous arse it's fuckin laughable, fact check before you just immaturely class a post as 100% pish.

12 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

While it's beliefs are that of Liberalism, it has tended to be more Conservative than anything and with people like Rees-Mogg( an arch right winger), and Nigel Lawson( an arch free marketeer), at the helm it does tend to show a more right wing bent. And it has backed Conservatives in general elections more than any other political party. I agree it isn't a Tory rag in the mould of the Mail, Express,Telegraph etc,but  it isn't a 'long' way from a 'Tory rag.

Have you read it much lately? Tories hate the FT and many of its senior reporters and editors in particular. Jim Pickard, the Chief Political Correspondent, has been giving the Tories an absolute shoeing. It's pro-EU, liberal and pro-immigration. They're endorsed Labour at several general elections in the past too.

Apart from the economics it's genuinely very much closer to The Guardian than to any of the Tory papers.

Closer to home, they produced a special report before indyref that said an independent Scotland would start with a large deficit but would be fine. Their columnists were obviously mostly unionist but in reporting and analysis they were kinder to independence than literally any other newspaper.

1 minute ago, SandyCromarty said:

I stand by quote that polls can influence voters, you can google it if you need to be convinced, polls and surveys used to influence voters is aa good start

In the 2015 GE the FT backed the Conservative/LD Coalition.

In the 2017  GE the FT backed Thersa May's Conservatives

In  the 2019 GE the FT refused to endorse the Conservatives due to Brexit.

Given the Business, Banking and Industrial readership it's aimed at it would be difficult to describe the aaper as anything other than a tory rag.

At times you are so far up you're self righteous arse it's fuckin laughable, fact check before you just immaturely class a post as 100% pish.

Your claim about polls being used to drive opinion is yer da patter. Co-incidentally, I mentioned it on the calling cards of morons thread a few days ago. It's just a thing people say because they don't like polls telling them their opinions are less popular than they believe.

Push polls are a real thing but they're not done by BPC members, and voting intention polls are never done like that. 

As for the FT, I replied above. I can only presume you never read it.

38 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Have you read it much lately? Tories hate the FT and many of its senior reporters and editors in particular. Jim Pickard, the Chief Political Correspondent, has been giving the Tories an absolute shoeing. It's pro-EU, liberal and pro-immigration. They're endorsed Labour at several general elections in the past too.

Apart from the economics it's genuinely very much closer to The Guardian than to any of the Tory papers.

Closer to home, they produced a special report before indyref that said an independent Scotland would start with a large deficit but would be fine. Their columnists were obviously mostly unionist but in reporting and analysis they were kinder to independence than literally any other newspaper.

The Tories hate the BBC. Are they impartial??? I can't say I read the FT. I tend to flick through it. I do read the Guardian and its sister paper the Observer. They tend to be slightly right of centre. Yes, the FT have backed Labour. Once in 1992, with Kinnock, but primarily whilst Blair was leader and let's be honest, the Labour Party of that ilk were right of centre.

16 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

It's posted to show that such levels of polling have occurred over 2 decades ago. 

In context in 1999, it was 2 years after a huge Labour government and there was still a feelgood factor and relief in Scotland of finally getting a Labour government and in the same year as Holyrood came into being with a LibDem/Labour coalition. There wasn't a sniff of a Tory administration.  Now we have the dirt,most corrupt and most inept government in my life time and the Scottish Nationalist cause is even stronger.  I think today's polls are more apt and sustainable.  And I would also suggest that the English voter saw Holyrood as  a quick move towards independence of which was never the intention. 

Edited by Highlandmagyar Tier 3