Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

6 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

East mistake to make,I suppose, what with his encyclopedic knowledge of Scottish politics and support of a Scottish football team..

It's an easy mistake to make if you're presumptuous and have narrow minded views of people based on what football team they support, so for you I'll give you that. 

On 25/03/2021 at 09:57, Gordon EF said:

We'd all stop arguing about independence after independence.

In all seriousness, this is becoming as big a reason as any other for independence. With the establishment of new pro independence parties, I fear we are heading towards an ulsterisation of politics in Scotland. 

It's also quite possible to see perpetual SNP rule in a devolved Holyrood as a worse outcome than independence, even if your natural inclination would be to vote No.

Edited by sparky88

46 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

It's an easy mistake to make if you're presumptuous and have narrow minded views of people based on what football team they support, so for you I'll give you that. 

Anyone who supports Rangers as you do, a club built on sectarianism,  bigotry and hatred deserves every negative view of them. 

3 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Anyone who supports Rangers as you do, a club built on sectarianism,  bigotry and hatred deserves every negative view of them. 

Save posts like this for your diary. 

I saw Humza Yousaf on the TV earlier saying words to the effect of 'if everyone who voted for the SNP in the constituency voted for the SNP on the list, the SNP would have a majority".  Is there any evidence to support that?  

5 hours ago, sparky88 said:

In all seriousness, this is becoming as big a reason as any other for independence. With the establishment of new pro independence parties, I fear we are heading towards an ulsterisation of politics in Scotland. 

It's also quite possible to see perpetual SNP rule in a devolved Holyrood as a worse outcome than independence, even if your natural inclination would be to vote No.

Surely this will be their last pop at it, there's only so long that you can vote in such a cultish party. 

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

I saw Humza Yousaf on the TV earlier saying words to the effect of 'if everyone who voted for the SNP in the constituency voted for the SNP on the list, the SNP would have a majority".  Is there any evidence to support that?  

No.

The SNP really need to quietly stop pushing this both votes SNP pish. Don't go out and tell folk to vote for another party but stop telling them both votes SNP is the best or only way to win a pro-indy majority. Every single person who would have voted SNP/SNP but decides to vote SNP/Green or SNP/Alba is going to help push out the Tories and Labour. Just leave folk to work that out ffs Humza.

9 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

It's possible, I posted last night, then deleted it, as I'd missed the fact that Rutherglen was in Glasgow Region. When you apply the D'Hondt system to the SP, you start calculating the allocation of list (second) votes using the numer of constituency MSPs for each party.

Round 1: Total list votes / (Number of MSPs +1)

So for Glasgow in 2016, the SNP won all 9 constituencies with 52% of the total vote. Under this system it needed 60% of list votes to win one list MSP, assuming it kept votes from the Greens, it actually received only 44.8% of  list votes.

In the West of Scotland, The SNP won 8, Lab 1 and Tory 1 constituency MSPs. The SNP had 46.3% of constituency votes but only 42.2% of list votes. Had the SNP received 46.3% of list votes it would have won an additonal MSP from  the list.

For SNP voters it's a gamble, assume you'll win the constiuency and your list vote may not get extra members, but lose your constituency MSP and your list vote increases in value.

Glasgow 2016

Constituency votes

image.png.a38135d15dba65c0c5b98fdfd27dedf9.png

Actual ist results

image.png.cb0de2da37ab381bb2ed75e1e1b43a92.png

List result assuming all SNP constituency votes go to the list

image.png.07d40782c84b8e9dfe91debddcb6d796.png

West of Scotland 2016

Constituency votes

image.png.d0f4fc1bf2175a097c6cc517fe5164b9.png

Actual ist results

image.png.e604d4938a23681ee7f89522c3898e13.png

List result assuming all SNP constituency votes go to the list

image.png.9bedd80c999029482cf978e009461d1f.png

Looking at the results from 2016 in WS, there was also a migration of constituency votes away from Labour and the Tories. There were other parties on the list like UKIP, RISE, Solidarity and others. Where do these votes go in 2021? How many fringe parties will stand and who will they attract? Rounds 6 and 7 of the list allocation could be quite dramatic depending on those fringe votes and their impact on the main parties share of the list votes.

For me, I want an SNP majority to advance the independence cause. Above an SNP majority, I'd rather see Scottish Green list MSPs than Alba Party. A party launched at this short notice has had no time to form and assess who it is. If it has a presence in Holyrood, I struggle to see how it will paint a positve picture of the independence movement to the electorate. The Alba Party has more baggage than a Boeing 747.

7 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Looking at the results from 2016 in WS, there was also a migration of constituency votes away from Labour and the Tories. There were other parties on the list like UKIP, RISE, Solidarity and others. Where do these votes go in 2021? How many fringe parties will stand and who will they attract? Rounds 6 and 7 of the list allocation could be quite dramatic depending on those fringe votes and their impact on the main parties share of the list votes.

For me, I want an SNP majority to advance the independence cause. Above an SNP majority, I'd rather see Scottish Green list MSPs than Alba Party. A party launched at this short notice has had no time to form and assess who it is. If it has a presence in Holyrood, I struggle to see how it will paint a positve picture of the independence movement to the electorate. The Alba Party has more baggage than a Boeing 747.

I’d be happy for Alba Party to win Unionist list seats though not at expense of SNP or Greens, but don’t want a wee smug Alex Salmond sitting in Holyrood continually picking fights with NS

Edited by Gallant Pioneer

35 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Can't open for some reason. Whats the figures?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1415512/Nicola-Sturgeon-news-SNP-scottish-election-latest-independence-poll-survey-alex-salmond

Try that one.

1 hour ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Remarkable, not the poll, the fact that headline and artlcle have been written by an adult.

Electoral Calculus found the SNP would win 71 seats in the Scottish parliament – six more than the 65 needed to win a majority 

Scottish Tories would be the next biggest party in Scotland with 24

Labour came in third with 19 seats 

48 percent of Scots would vote yes.

Just 44 percent thought Scotland should remain in the Union and voted no.

The remaining eight percent were undecided

Edited by sophia