Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

I went to school in one of the Home Counties, where Morris Dancing was commonly performed by folk who would practice all year for May Day.

They were routinely mocked by all and sundry for being a bunch of hankie-waving weirdos who took part in a tedious and embarrassing anachronism - never feel bad about taking the piss out of Morris Dancers, as virtually everyone down south does  :P

That's part of what's wrong with them tbh - they've not brought their folk culture into the modern time as everyone else around them has, which has turned Englishness and English culture into a hollow vessel that's been filled with Spitfires, poppies, lager and flags.

Chas and Dave are England's Proclaimers.

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That's part of what's wrong with them tbh - they've not brought their folk culture into the modern time as everyone else around them has, which has turned Englishness and English culture into a hollow vessel that's been filled with Spitfires, poppies, lager and flags.

Chas and Dave are England's Proclaimers.

You won't stop talking! Why don't you give it a rest?

(seriously, Chas & Dave were quality)

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I went to school in one of the Home Counties, where Morris Dancing was commonly performed by folk who would practice all year for May Day.

They were routinely mocked by all and sundry for being a bunch of hankie-waving weirdos who took part in a tedious and embarrassing anachronism - never feel bad about taking the piss out of Morris Dancers, as virtually everyone down south does  :P

Highly irrelevant to the thread but one of the most surreal moments in my life happened in the late 1980s when I woke up one Saturday morning, looked out of the front room window and saw a troop of Morris dancers down the street.

I didn't dream it, I'm damn sure of that.

Mind you, typical Edinburgh suburb. Some people get plagued by Orange marches, we get plagued by Morris dancers.

8 hours ago, HTG said:

Of course independence is the only resolution. Otherwise we'll always stand accused of spending another country's money. That's been the position on university education, prescriptions and now the NHS pay rise.  

Just make the break and we'll either afford things or we won't. Like Ireland. Or Denmark. Or ... anywhere really. 

When they talk about Scotland would be in massive debt I always think to myself that in my lifetime there's only been about one national leader who paid off his country's national debt.

Nicolae Ceaucescu.

And his people were so grateful they shot him. 

6 hours ago, sophia said:

I don't think you are looking hard enough or perhaps it suits your purpose?

have a look here for evidence

17:20:05 for more evidence

17:13:28 for Peter Chapman who is representative of those that would wish to convince us it isn't working

The Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Bill was an example of cooperation and beyond the soundbites even Adam Tomkins made a collegiate contribution.

I see it's official ScotCon policy (one of few, admittedly) to formally repeal it.

I admire their optimism, since being a bill that was passed with cross-party approval, they're going to have to win an outright majority at Holyrood to achieve their goal.

Edited by Boo Khaki

I think the younger generation aren't absolutely obsessed with WW2 and the 'Rule Britannia, Blitz Spirit' shite that the boomer, no-voting,'if we go indy ah'll lose my penshin' demographic are.
I personally know folk in their 60's who voted no in 2014 due to the fear of them losing their pension.  Utter madness.

I’ll go on better.
I worked with someone who voted no because he thought he’d lose his free bus pass he’d just received.

I think anyone that uses the bus will have heard auld yins discussing their reasons for not wanting independence; stuff about pensions and that kind of thing comes up, along with the nebulous, "I worry about the world the weans are growing up in". As an auld yin herself, my mother regularly despairs at the reasoning behind a lot of these arguments.

I don't think most folk are that stupid. When you read between the lines, the general rule seems to be that they don't want independence and are looking for an excuse. Most of the elderly folk who site pensions will then go on to betray a dislike of "that woman", and the independence movement in general, but usually don't have any concrete reasons. I think it comes down to the fact that they want to change things; things that they've been happy with their entire life and that are now being questioned, and it probably makes them feel as though people are saying they're stupid for not having questioned it themselves.

Just a theory, but a less depressing one than that the most experienced generation think the UK Government is spiteful enough to leave them potless on the streets, but that we should stay wedded to them anyway.

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

When they talk about Scotland would be in massive debt I always think to myself that in my lifetime there's only been about one national leader who paid off his country's national debt.

Nicolae Ceaucescu.

And his people were so grateful they shot him. 

Norway operates with a huge surplus rather than a national debt. Meanwhile failed state UK spent the same windfall chucking people on the dole, destroying local communities and then slashing taxes for the rich. 

4 hours ago, mizfit said:

I’ll go on better.
I worked with someone who voted no because he thought he’d lose his free bus pass he’d just received.

I know someone that voted for Indy because "Am Scottish"

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Norway operates with a huge surplus rather than a national debt. Meanwhile failed state UK spent the same windfall chucking people on the dole, destroying local communities and then slashing taxes for the rich. 

Enlightened Skandi buggers, so they are. Whilst they were busy squirreling away billions during the 80's, our oil cash kept Thatcher in power. Norway has 5.3 million citizens and their wealth fund equates, as at Jan 2021, to £170,000 per person.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/28/norways-sovereign-wealth-fund-gains-more-than-90bn-during-2020

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Enlightened Skandi buggers, so they are. Whilst they were busy squirreling away billions during the 80's, our oil cash kept Thatcher in power.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/28/norways-sovereign-wealth-fund-gains-more-than-90bn-during-2020

Yes you're right, North Sea Oil Revenue has been squandered  by westminster.

19 hours ago, HTG said:

Of course independence is the only resolution. Otherwise we'll always stand accused of spending another country's money. That's been the position on university education, prescriptions and now the NHS pay rise.  

Just make the break and we'll either afford things or we won't. Like Ireland. Or Denmark. Or ... anywhere really. 

We're a country who doesn't vote Conservative being managed by one who does. And that country is pushing further right as each month passes. 

Scotland is different. It is not England. 

I've said this before, I have dozens of friends in England. They're fantastic people. I like everything about England other than its politics. In the past I'd have mocked something like Morris dancing but I don't now because it's part of a culture and a heritage that people clearly enjoy and good on them. I like the diversity in England. 

England should be Scotland's best friend and trading partner. But if England insists on holding on to Scotland then the prism does narrow. How can it be otherwise. More than half of us want to be independent - too many to think this can all be sorted by just feeding them cereal and putting them back in their box. 

The game's up the pole. 

18 green dots. 

Mental. 

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

19 green dots now!

Thanks for re-quoting that excellent post.

You're the one that's mental.

Terrific input, I know you like to get things wrong then back out of discussions so we'll just leave this one at the start. 

19 green dots now!
Thanks for re-quoting that excellent post.
You're the one that's mental.
The ironic thing is that if Stormzy came down to England he'd be treated as just another whinging wee Jock. Similar to those from Norn Iron who wrap themselves in flegs and know ALL the songs, yet when they come to England they find that the thanks for their devotion to Empire is that yer average Englander can't even tell the difference between a Cork or Belfast accent.

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

The ironic thing is that if Stormzy came down to England he'd be treated as just another whinging wee Jock. Similar to those from Norn Iron who wrap themselves in flegs and know ALL the songs, yet when they come to England they find that the thanks for their devotion to Empire is that yer average Englander can't even tell the difference between a Cork or Belfast accent.

Norman, why must you live a world in your own head. 

I'm English. 

5 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:
8 minutes ago, Stormzy said:
Norman, why must you live a world in your own head. 
I'm English. 

Are ye, aye ?

I'm afraid I dont have a link to back this one up but aye i was born in Leeds.