Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

“53% of Scots would leave the UK, with 71% believing the country would fare better without being part of the UK”

I love things like this in polls, and it isn’t exclusive to Scottish independence by any means.

Do you think Scotland would be better off away from the UK?
Yes
Do you think Scotland should leave the UK?
No

The general public eh?

2 hours ago, Paco said:

“53% of Scots would leave the UK, with 71% believing the country would fare better without being part of the UK”

I love things like this in polls, and it isn’t exclusive to Scottish independence by any means.

Do you think Scotland would be better off away from the UK?
Yes
Do you think Scotland should leave the UK?
No

The general public eh?

That's an interesting stat, and one that show that "too wee/poor/stupid" hasn't worked. I must admit, I thought that must be a big part of the reasoning for why people want to stay in the UK.

I suppose it's nice to see that people aren't entirely motivated by selfishness. I'm pretty sure that, if the Home Counties were offered the chance to form a microstate with London, they'd be away in a heartbeat.

11 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1401184/brexit-news-UK-waters-EU-isle-of-man-fishing-france-howard-quayle

Brexit argeement: Isle of Man allows EU ships into Manx waters after transition period

Maybe a wee bit interested.

They're basically a tax haven and they'd have to change the entire basis of their economy, so I don't see it happening. They obviously want very good relations with the EU though, especially with their proximity to Ireland.

There's been talk (both seriously and not so seriously) about independence for Orkney and Shetland.  I wonder if post-independence they might end up with a relationship with Scotland akin to what the Faroes has with Denmark - essentially independence in all but name.

Incidentally, most of the Danes I've spoken to seem to think that total independence for the Faroe Islands is inevitable.

Edited by Highland Capital

4 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Incidentally, most of the Danes I've spoken to seem to think that total independence for the Faroe Islands is inevitable.

Presumably they're very bitter about it, find the idea of them surviving as a nation laughable, and think they'll come crawling back once they're bankrupt. That's how the independence process works, right?

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Presumably they're very bitter about it, find the idea of them surviving as a nation laughable, and think they'll come crawling back once they're bankrupt. That's how the independence process works, right?

Until I went to the Faroes, I didn't realise how rich they are.  The tunnels were massive and the roads were great.  I knew that they got a grant every year from Denmark and while Greenland needs it (partly as they have a number of social problems), the Faroes just stick it in a bank account and don't really touch it.

Edited by Highland Capital

8 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Until I went to the Faroes, I didn't realise how rich they are.  The tunnels were massive and the roads were great.  I knew that they got a grant every year from Denmark and while Greenland needs it (partly as they have a number of social problems), the Faroes just stick it in a bank account and don't really touch it.

A Finnish colleague told me once that the ScandiWegian countries consider Finns to be hard-drinking bams, whereas the Finns think the Faeroese make them look like lightweights.

I know that's got nothing to do with it, I just found it amusing that they have a hierarchy of alcoholic lunacy  :P

5 hours ago, doulikefish said:

The game’s a bogie.  The Salmond attack on Sturgeon has stripped her of all credibility, the political colossus that is Douglas Ross is offering alternative policies that are destroying the case for Independence and this is all before the mighty Anas Sarwar reclaims Scotland for Labour.

Might as well just pack the whole project in with a measly 53% minority of the vote.  :bairn

There's been talk (both seriously and not so seriously) about independence for Orkney and Shetland.  I wonder if post-independence they might end up with a relationship with Scotland akin to what the Faroes has with Denmark - essentially independence in all but name.
Not that red herring again?

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Wait, so Nicola Sturgeon doesn’t want independence because she’s paid money to be FM? Is that it?

Will she not be paid money to be FM after independence?

Can't imagine what would be better for the leader of the Scottish National Party's long term prospects of being in charge: being the woman who delivered independence and coasting on that for a solid decade at a minimum or stalling the cause to cling on to power.

It'll be quite funny to see Tavish Scott and the fifteen other Britnat island bumpkins being rounded up by the Revolutionary Guard and interned on Inchmarnock after their stupid wee Free Orkney coup.

Subcarpathian Ruthenia had a better chance in the 24 hours it was independent.