Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

28 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It's a bit of an indictment of the electorate that fixed terms are huge hindrance to any party in government. All they have to do it wait for something positive to happen and roll the dice on a snap election. You'd like to think people might remember all the grot they've been up to for the previous <x> years, but people either have the memory of goldfish, or are so self-interested that they'll take a chocolate biscuit and turn a blind eye to their neighbours being force-fed another shit sandwich.

Fixed terms aren't great either, it encourages the ruling party to artificially plan the economy for a boost and giveaway budget every 5 years. The last parliament went on far too long, they should have pulled the plug on it the first time May lost her "meaningful vote".

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Anyway doesnae matter. Tories are going to do away with fixed term parliaments.

The Act was always impossible to have effect anyway, because there could never be anything to stop parliament from repealing or amending it in a one-section Bill. That's how the 2019 election happened. The only difference it created is that the PM needs a simple majority in parliament and a little more notice rather than just going to ask the Queen.

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Medium term, I don't think there's anything they can do take it. It's fairly ironic that Labour's last stronghold in Scotland is virtually impregnable because it's filled with middle class natural Tory and Lib Dem voters. Whilst it's not an exclusively middle class constituency, it's the perfect storm for not going SNP.

It's got a huge middle class pro-UK, pro-Remain population in places like Morningside, Merchiston, Grange and the former Edinburgh Pentland suburbs. A lot of these people have probably voted Tory in the past but coalesce around Ian Murray as the only viable alternative to the SNP. In the north of the constituency, you've got the areas containing most of the Edinburgh Uni students (Marchmont, Newington, Sciennes, etc). This'll give the constituency a huge rUK population (in fact, I'm sure I've read that it's by some distance the constituency with the lowest number of Scottish born residents). Those largely middle class students from England are absolutely prime Labour targets, seeing as the Busted Flushes aren't a viable alternative.

In fact, it might not be a bad thing that these demographics are effectively corralled into one constituency. If they were split evenly across two, they could well push both constituencies towards Labour/Tories.

I saw it was revealed a couple of months back that Murray was going to leave Labour and join Change UK.  There was even pictures of him speaking at a pre-launch meeting.  Had he gone through with it, it would've been interesting to see if what would've happened though I imagine he'd have the support locally by now to win the seat even as an independent.

Wasn't the Fixed Term thing just a sop to the Lib Dems anyway? An unenforceable act and a PR vote that made the system seem like a mystifying faff. Not even Yer Maw can be bought that easily.

13 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I saw it was revealed a couple of months back that Murray was going to leave Labour and join Change UK.  There was even pictures of him speaking at a pre-launch meeting.  Had he gone through with it, it would've been interesting to see if what would've happened though I imagine he'd have the support locally by now to win the seat even as an independent.

I'm really not sure he would. He definitely plays up the arch-unionist, centrist stuff to keep his constituents onside but I think he's a largely empty jacket who's extremely lucky to be where he is. I doubt he has a rock solid personal vote. I think identikit Labour centrist goon #27 would probably win the seat if Murray left the party. He knows that which is probably why he didn't switch in the end. It'd certainly be interesting to see how the Labour vote might split in that scenario though.

23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Wasn't the Fixed Term thing just a sop to the Lib Dems anyway? An unenforceable act and a PR vote that made the system seem like a mystifying faff. Not even Yer Maw can be bought that easily.

Yes. They could have got STV but they took much less.

That Mr Starmer better start talking nice.
“The SNP would appear to be the real winners. Not only do they win all but two Scottish constituencies, but the most likely outcome is a Labour-SNP coalition government, which would have an overall majority of just over 20 seats.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/02/poll-predicts-a-uk-general-election-now-would-wipe-out-tory-majority

If you are a Unionist party, which Labour are, you aren’t going in to coalition with the SNP, as one of the main terms of said coalition would be IndyRef2 before the end of the 5 year tenure.

4 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/02/poll-predicts-a-uk-general-election-now-would-wipe-out-tory-majority

If you are a Unionist party, which Labour are, you aren’t going in to coalition with the SNP, as one of the main terms of said coalition would be IndyRef2 before the end of the 5 year tenure.

The English Labour Party don't give a f**k about the union if they're not getting any Scottish MPs. Power they do care about.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

I genuinely think Starmer's Labour think they could either guilt trip the SNP into accepting a lesser compromise or failing that just try and do shenanigans on any second referendum. Three options with a bias in favour of the non-full independence options.

16 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
22 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:
Duncan Hothersall is the real power behind the throne in Edinburgh South imo.

Didn't know he was still a thing tbh...

Last seen greetin' that the SNP were anti-devolution because they support independence as if it was some kind of gotcha.

Imbecile.

4 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Last seen greetin' that the SNP were anti-devolution because they support independence as if it was some kind of gotcha.

Imbecile.

Didn't he f**k off to the borders?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Mahelp
On 03/01/2021 at 13:52, Highland Capital said:

What would the SNP need to do to win Edinburgh South?  Ian Murray seems to be the immovable object.  Orkney and Shetland would be a big win for the SNP mind.

Probably move a few Jambos out and replace them with Hibees.