Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

from the few I've spoken to, it's tiredness with the SNP, who prior to this crisis were not looking great on a number of fronts, as well as a feeling we might as well all circle the whirlpool to the bottom of the sea in the same boat.

My father in law was an SNP member who hates immigrants more than he wants Scottish independence. He left the party because their Brexit stance and would vote no next time around.

He's a c**t. 

On 16/09/2020 at 21:16, Bob Mahelp said:

My father in law was an SNP member who hates immigrants more than he wants Scottish independence. He left the party because their Brexit stance and would vote no next time around.

He's a c**t. 

A genuinely puzzling position. Presumably he never wanted independence for democratic reasons (or even national ones) but as a potential way of keeping brown people out of his sight. Perhaps he thought the New Labour days meant the UK was getting too damned lenient towards the darkies and Polacks and Scottish independence might cut us off from them, whereas Brexit Britain is right up his alley. This is the only thing that makes sense, as a genuine desire for national statehood is the polar opposite of “I want to be dependent on another state and abide by its decisions if they’re racist enough for me”.

Aye, sounds like a c**t.

7 hours ago, Antlion said:

That doesn’t quite fit with what looks like the plans of the next “No” campaign, which appear to be “you won’t get back into the EU anyway cos you’re too poor”. 

No doubt repeated by the same folk who were adamant back in 2016 that Turkey was one fax to Brussels away from joining the EU.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

I see there's a new poll with the SNP at 6% UK-wide - ahead of the Lib Dems! 

https://www.opinium.com/resource-center/voting-intention-23rd-september/

Not a mention of it, or the SNP at all, in the blurb.

Wonder how close the Greens are to putting them into fifth. And if, even then, the press would still pretend they're in any way important.

Edit: brief bit of mental arithmetic, but wouldn't that require about three-quarters of resident Scots voters to go SNP? Surely not.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

6% nationwide is an absolute landslide in Scotland, way over 50% of vote... Once you add Greens on too it's increasingly obvious that people want change on Scotland. If WM deny Scotland another referendum post a nationalist landslide in 2021 it really is time to take to the streets.

11 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Wonder how close the Greens are to putting them into fifth. And if, even then, the press would still pretend they're in any way important.

Edit: brief bit of mental arithmetic, but wouldn't that require about three-quarters of resident Scots voters to go SNP? Surely not.

Aye, but it could be a relatively small Scottish sub-sample open to a much higher margin of error.

8 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Aye, but it could be a relatively small Scottish sub-sample open to a much higher margin of error.

I'm guessing so. Would be nice, though.

Very much LOL at the Lib Dems, though. Hope those years making tea at Downing Street were worth it.

7 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I'm guessing so. Would be nice, though.

Very much LOL at the Lib Dems, though. Hope those years making tea at Downing Street were worth it.

Hoy! That was David Mundell’s job. The Lib Dems merely got to arrange the caramel florentines in a pretty fan shape.

12 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Lib Dems are totally irrelevant in today's politics.

Daft Ed Davy on Andrew Marr this morning stating they would oppose a second Scottish referendum.

Who gives a feck what they would do, they are the fourth party in Westminster and Holyrood.

22 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Lib Dems are totally irrelevant in today's politics.

Daft Ed Davy on Andrew Marr this morning stating they would oppose a second Scottish referendum.

Who gives a feck what they would do, they are the fourth party in Westminster and Holyrood.

They'll be back. They're England's anointed party of the middle-class protest vote. When the big two shit the bed together, they'll pick up another 10-15% of the vote when it doesn't matter, with help from the press when it suits.

Then they'll get embroiled in some bizarre sex scandals/merge with the vanity project of a career opportunist/discard their core policies in exchange for personal career advancement, and everyone will remember why they stopped voting for them in the past.

12 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

In the raw numbers they polled 103 people in Scotland, 57 of whom said they would vote SNP. That's 55%.

On such a small and unweighted sample that's within the range of recent polls.

55 out of the whole 1018 said Lib Dem. Proper ooft stuff.

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

In the raw numbers they polled 103 people in Scotland, 57 of whom said they would vote SNP. That's 55%.

On such a small and unweighted sample that's within the range of recent polls.

55 out of the whole 1018 said Lib Dem. Proper ooft stuff.

55% of Scots voters equates to 6% of UK voters? Surprised that first percentage is so low, but I can't be arsed doing the maths. I'd have thought we'd make up well under 10% of the overall UK total.

Anyway, the Lib Dems, eh?  :lol:

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

Obviously whoever this is can gtf but was there not a long standing communist councillor somewhere in Fife? I think he died recently.

Willie Clarke.  Famously said, “there were only ever two people of good intention who went to Parliament; Willie Gallagher and Guy Fawkes”.