Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

On 31/05/2020 at 13:04, Colkitto said:

I see James Kelly is crowdfunding to commission an independence poll. Could be an interesting poll, looking forward to this one! 

https://scotgoespop.blogspot.com/2020/05/crowdfunder-help-scot-goes-pop.html  

Can't wait for this  masterpiece, will he then do another for Brexit ? He can get Oor Nicola to send another wee letter to Boris asking for another referendum, then he can pleasingly tell her to fvck off again. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

The fear is strong in this one.

Has to go as extreme as possible lest anyone think this latest incarnation is weaker than the usual 19th century stereotype of a North Britisher.

On a related note, it’s pretty worrying that politics is moving to extremes across the world at the moment. But I admit it’s pleasing that this polarisation has just about established support for the UK as associated with far-right, always-furious, knee jerk, gammon-faced perma-rage at anything not milk-white and English.

Edited by Antlion

I am actually surprised that Jackson Carlaw hasn't piped up yet making a claim that the SNP haven't done enough to tackle racism within Scotland. All while his paymasters in Westminster have still yet to say a single official word about the chaos in the US and Trump's open fanning of the flames.

Edited by Boo Khaki

7 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I am actually surprised that Jackson Carlaw hasn't piped up yet making a claim that the SNP haven't done enough to tackle racism within Scotland. All while his paymasters in Westminster have still yet to say a single official word about the chaos in the US and Trump's open fanning of the flames.

He's too busy blaming the Scottish Government for not closing the borders that they have no control over.

Incredible polling for the SNP

Scottish voting intentions for the next UK general election (Scot Goes Pop / Panelbase poll, 1st-5th June 2020):

SNP 51% (+1)
Conservatives 21% (-5)
Labour 19% (+2)
Liberal Democrats 6% (+1)
Greens 2% (n/c)

Seats projection: SNP 58 (+10), Labour 1 (n/c)

Scottish Parliament constituency ballot:

SNP 53% (n/c) 
Conservatives 21% (-2)
Labour 16% (+1)
Liberal Democrats 6% (+1)
Greens 3% (n/c)

Scottish Parliament regional list ballot:

SNP 48% (n/c) 
Conservatives 19% (-3)
Labour 16% (+1)
Liberal Democrats 8% (+1)
Greens 7% (+2)

Seats projection: SNP 72 (+9), Conservatives 25 (-6), Labour 19 (-5), Liberal Democrats 8 (+3), Greens 5 (-1)

17 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

The polls since the general election have been promising. 

Screenshot_20200607_215231_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.ae1e10e92846db97fcded473b6f5f941.jpg

I can only assume the rather sizeable 'undecided' contingent are the ones who will demand to know exactly which currency will be proposed, whether we'll still get Eastenders etc before they make their minds up. Considering what a perpetual omnishambles the UK has been since the last referendum, you'd think they'd at least have some inkling of which way they'd likely vote. 'Oh eh.... ahm no sure' seems to be taking the piss a bit in my view. 

Like others have already said, as someone who doesn't view 'No' as a rejection of Independence, but an endorsement of Westminster, I'm baffled as to how 'No' is still polling mid to high 40's. Just how completely intransigent and unfit for purpose does Westminster have to get before folk stop presuming it's the only reasonable course of action? It's like an abusive relationship at this point. They act in any way they like, with complete impunity, and half of Scotland is so utterly in their thrall that they're terrified of leaving the abusive situation. It's a mystery to me.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

I can only assume the rather sizeable 'undecided' contingent are the ones who will demand to know exactly which currency will be proposed, whether we'll still get Eastenders etc before they make their minds up. Considering what a perpetual omnishambles the UK has been since the last referendum, you'd think they'd at least have some inkling of which way they'd likely vote. 'Oh eh.... ahm no sure' seems to be taking the piss a bit in my view. 

Like others have already said, as someone who doesn't view 'No' as a rejection of Independence, but an endorsement of Westminster, I'm baffled as to how 'No' is still polling mid to high 40's. Just how completely intransigent and unfit for purpose does Westminster have to get before folk stop presuming it's the only reasonable course of action? It's like an abusive relationship at this point. They act in any way they like, with complete impunity, and half of Scotland is so utterly in their thrall that they're terrified of leaving the abusive situation. It's a mystery to me.

Like you say, their minds are on more pressing matters. Like when X Factor is returning. 

I've thought recently that given all that's gone on, Covid, Brexit, Cummings, BLM protests, and this UK government's intransigence throughout, the fact the polls haven't really shifted all that much shows that for a huge number of people constitutional, societal, ethical, and humanitarian arguments really aren't all that important. I don't think you'll see 60% 'Yes' until the pro-Indi side has somehow managed to convince the undecideds and soft No's that they, personally, are going to be financially better off as a result of Indi. Good luck with that, but that's what I think it truly boils down to, as difficult to stomach as that is. I do think that, sadly, a majority of Scots are by far and away concerned with their wallets, bank balance, and house price first and foremost, and don't really care about social justice, proper representation, social fairness, or the wellbeing of the country as a whole.

Edited by Boo Khaki