Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

On 02/05/2020 at 14:52, NotThePars said:

What do you mean by a rethink?

I think there is certainly a perception, even if not completely accurate, that the current SNP leadership has moved the party to the right.

In addition, it certainly appears they have lost the urgency to push for independence.  Yes...the they have asked a couple of times for a referendum...but were quickly told to pipe down by Westminster. By and large the current leadership have then just coalesced. Why?

Its either deliberate....or it's just weak!!!

I would hope if deliberate, it's because they have a long game....but surely then there would be evidence of long game planning. 

Is there such evidence?

Where are the answers on the currency question? What about the reconstructed GERS showing an accurate estimate offset cost of multiplier effects of a Londoncentric govt and economy?

(I know Mackay was mooting such a thing before he resigned, but given how much it is used by unionists as a stick to batter independence, the current inaccurate GERS system should have been sorted out long before now. )

These are things that should be in place prior to the next big push.

Surely we should also have had further growth commission type reports commissioned to rival the neo con-esque vision produced by Wilson.

Maybe the lack of push on the Indy front is deliberate because the current leadershps heart just ain't in it.

I do hope that is not the case because independence should always be THE core policy of the SNP.

There is a real danger that a new harder line independence party will form.

Such a split in the vote would be a disaster for the wider cause of independence 

Thanks for clarifying. I know David Jamieson's big hot take is that the SNP leadership aren't interested in another referendum and are content to be the hegemonic force in Scotland. I don't agree but it's a funny take to work the crowd.

15 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

I think there is certainly a perception, even if not completely accurate, that the current SNP leadership has moved the party to the right.

My impression is that's it's the Wings/Cherry wing of the party who want to move the party to the socially conservative, populist right. 

16 hours ago, Sport socks and scampi said:

Surely a clear shift towards the left and also authoritarian policies under NS?  

Did you used to post the same pish on here under a different name?

Latest YouGov poll has the SSP (yes the SSP!) winning a seat in Holyrood next year.

You don’t have to look to far to see where my political allegiances lie, so I was made up to see this poll yesterday, and not before time.

The formation of RISE and the Sheridan scandal have played havoc with the party and a few poor decisions have been made since we last had an MSP, in my opinion, and during all this, the Left as a whole have failed to have a voice.

At the last national conference, the party were positive that we would get a few seats via the list vote, and I think we will and it’s just reward for a lot of hard work that has gone on over the last few years, however the real hard work has just started and I hope people with Left leanings give the party a chance, and those who are pro-independence and SNP voters back us, as they have done with the Greens when it’s come to list votes, because I think the more pro-independence voices in Hollyrood, can only be good for the cause.

On 03/05/2020 at 23:18, NotThePars said:

Thanks for clarifying. I know David Jamieson's big hot take is that the SNP leadership aren't interested in another referendum and are content to be the hegemonic force in Scotland. I don't agree but it's a funny take to work the crowd.

I do not think the bulk of the SNP membership or its supporters are content for it to be the hegemonic force in Scotland.

Its certainly a credible possibility that it may be an issue within certain elements of the leadership.

On 03/05/2020 at 17:12, git-intae-thum said:

I see they announced a £5 million fund for landlords whose tenants are having rent difficulties earlier today. f**k all for the tenants, but thank god the landlords will be ok.

13 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

I see they announced a £5 million fund for landlords whose tenants are having rent difficulties earlier today. f**k all for the tenants, but thank god the landlords will be ok.

Where are tenants going to go next year or in the next referendum? Landlords are hard workers that have considered votes, another blinder from the SNP. #YouYesYet

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Where are tenants going to go next year or in the next referendum? Landlords are hard workers that have considered votes, another blinder from the SNP. #YouYesYet

I see 24% of MSPs are also landlords.

On 04/05/2020 at 16:38, BB_Bino said:

You don’t have to look to far to see where my political allegiances lie, so I was made up to see this poll yesterday, and not before time.

The formation of RISE and the Sheridan scandal have played havoc with the party and a few poor decisions have been made since we last had an MSP, in my opinion, and during all this, the Left as a whole have failed to have a voice.

At the last national conference, the party were positive that we would get a few seats via the list vote, and I think we will and it’s just reward for a lot of hard work that has gone on over the last few years, however the real hard work has just started and I hope people with Left leanings give the party a chance, and those who are pro-independence and SNP voters back us, as they have done with the Greens when it’s come to list votes, because I think the more pro-independence voices in Hollyrood, can only be good for the cause.

The best things for the independence movement as a whole, would be more independence parties in Holyrood.  One of unionism strengths is that no-matter where you are on the political spectrum, there's a place for you.  The independence movement doesn't have that and I don't think that's a good thing.  Surely a more effective way to convince people of independence would be to have many different views of what independence could look like as opposed to putting all your eggs in the basket of one enormous juggernaut. 

Edited by Highland Capital

16 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

The best things for the independence movement as a whole, would be more independence parties in Holyrood.  One of unionism strengths is that no-matter where you are on the political spectrum, there's a place for you.  The independence movement doesn't have that and I don't think that's a good thing.  Surely a more effective way to convince people of independence would be to have many different views of what independence could look like as opposed to putting all your eggs in the basket of one enormous juggernaut. 

That sounds quite rational, particularly under a PR type of electoral system except for:

a) a very anti-Independence media who will use every excuse to play one party off against the other and who will highlight and ferment any divisions, and;

b) it assumes the people involved have a genuine agenda.

18 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I think it's a consistent artefact of their projection model as they always forecast SSP getting about 5% when none of the others do.

On the issue of lots of different indy parties: naw. Judean People's Front stuff.

I suppose the argument goes if you can have a Holyrood parliament where you have a pro-independence majority of parties beyond the SNP and their recycling wing then it might normalise a post-independence landscape and work to prevent a lot of the tension that comes with gaming the electoral system and winning with 51% in the next referendum. That's not why these people (coincidentally the most gung-ho UDI types) are intent on forming a new party, however, they're just having a tantrum.

You'll mebbe know: what are the odds of this kind of party budding off from Labour as opposed to SNP? Most of the quality analysis from Scottish Twitter (by this I mean like Flying Rodent, ACAB Rees Mogg etc not like Shafi types) is from Labour sympathetic folk who must be feeling a bit homeless at the moment.

What’s your thoughts on Shafi btw? I was at uni with him, hes a scary fellow.