Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

9 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

As someone who doesnt particularly like Corbyn or the labour party I find it absolutely mad that they are accused of anti-semitism. From what i’ve seen Corbyn is a critic of the horrific Israeli actions in Gaza and the West Bank in stealing homes and committing genocide amongst the Palestinians. I heard a caller to LBC suggest that not supporting Berger when she left the labour party was wrong, Berger was a fucking terrible MP who was more tory than labour, but because she happens to be jewish its seen as antisemitism, im not doubting that individuals may have expressed anti-semitic comments and that is reprehensible, however thats not reflective of Corbyn imo. It does seem that being an outspoken critic of israel gets you labelled as anti-semitic.

Anti-Zionism = Anti-Semitism.

I thought everyone knew that.

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

More suggestions on Sky News (from Edinburgh) that Boris's message of "getting Brexit done" is winning over the Scottish electorate. As if Boris's crap deal going through at the end of January means that's Brexit over and done with!

All I can think of here is that Scottish Tories knocking on doors must be finding mostly English folk who have chosen to make their homes in Scotland.

BBC Radio Scotland was broadcasting from the Dingwall Mart (much missed from the centre of town) this morning and leaving aside the reference to the unpleasant miasma*, there were a couple of vox pops  from rurals who parroted this line.

If I recall correctly, they also made mention of other areas that are devolved to Edinburgh and therefore inappropriate for discussion in the context of a Westminster election.

They seemed to me to be reassuringly uninformed.

*through the medium of sound, it wasn't clear to me whether the smell emanated from the immediate vicinity or the general neighbourhood.

10 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I understand you perfectly then.

If you don’t understand that this statement is clearly anti-Semitic, then it’s no wonder that you don’t understand the Labour party’s problem.

My point concerned Corbyn getting elected, which is what the Rabbi has concerns over. If many Jews wish to leave the country given that scenario, that is clearly their prerogative. 

I do not believe Corbyn has an anti-semitic bone in his body.  I guess you think otherwise?

Edited by ICTJohnboy

8 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

My point concerned Corbyn getting elected, which is what the Rabbi has concerns over. If many Jews wish to leave the country given that scenario, that is clearly their prerogative. 

I do not believe Corbyn has an anti-semitic bone in his body.  I guess you think otherwise?

If you want Corbyn as Prime Minister why don't you f**k off to Russia Venezuela?

15 hours ago, JMDP said:

You haven't. You never even tried. Attempt number five: Do you think it is acceptable for the prime minister to be a racist and a homophobe? It is fairly simple. 

Supplementary: Do you think it is hyperbolic to call someone who uses the word "bumboys" a homophobe? Would you use that word? If not, why not?

I answered your question. 

I have now reported you for your blatant trolling. Hopefully the moderators will take action this time. 

To be clear I am not a racist, nor a homophobe and voting Conservative does not make me one either. I have already stated that Boris Johnson is not someone I respect or support and I have outlined why I see the other parties and political leaders as similarly flawed in character and principle. I have also explained that the reason I am voting Conservative is because I trust them with the most important issue that affects us all. I trust them to run the economy well. 

Now take you hate filled hyperbole and muck spreading and go f**k off! 

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Voting for the Tories in Glasgow? Pissing in the wind is it not?

I'm sure it makes him feel good that it's one more vote towards austerity, the hounding of the less fortunate in society, the increasing gap between the rich and poor, attacks on immigrants, islamophobia, the NHS being sold off, and mentally turning the clock back to the good old days of the 2nd world war.

Well played top-cat. Well played!

I think he went for the hard Anschluss in the end, and the confirmatory mandate in 1938 was a little bit more convincing than 2016 - 99% was it not?

Not enough of Ruth’s “burly men” outside polling stations in 2016, imo

6 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

If the Tories are a safe pair of hands, can malky explain why they've added over £1 trillion to Britain's national debt since 2010?

Reducing the deficit year on year whilst also keeping the country out of recession, keeping inflation low, and interest rates low. Given the state that Labour left the place in I think the Conservatives have been remarkable and all without ever resorting to real austerity. 

Can you look at any of the other leaders and imagine they and their party could have done as good a job?

14 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Voting for the Tories in Glasgow? Pissing in the wind is it not?

Yep. But how could I possibly vote SNP when they want to claim that every vote they get is an indication of our desire for Independence and how can I ever vote Labour when giving them an extra seat might put Corbyn and his ridiculous spending pledges into office. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Reducing the deficit year on year whilst also keeping the country out of recession, keeping inflation low, and interest rates low. Given the state that Labour left the place in I think the Conservatives have been remarkable and all without ever resorting to real austerity. 

Can you look at any of the other leaders and imagine they and their party could have done as good a job?

I'd like to answer this without resorting to calling you a blinkered, smug, self-centred, ignorant khunt, but I think that an independent UN inspector can do it for me...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48354692

10 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'd like to answer this without resorting to calling you a blinkered, smug, self-centred, ignorant khunt, but I think that an independent UN inspector can do it for me...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48354692

Poverty exists. I'm not denying that. It's always existed in the UK. The definition of poverty has changed over the years though. I've been tracing my family tree over recent years and I had ancestors who died in the "Poorhouse" and in "Debtors Prisons". There's ancestors who lived in a single room with a father and a mother and 8 kids - there would have been 12 if 4 hadn't died within days of being born. There's even one ancestor who died from "Starvation" according to one death certificate. To equate poverty today with poverty in Victorian or Dickensian times is just nonsense. 

However poverty and austerity are two very different things. The definition of austerity as per the Cambridge Dictionary is 

The UK Government has NEVER reduced the amount of money it spends. Year on year capital expenditure has risen across all government departments so what I have said is FACTUALLY SOUND! 

Us Scots will get to know what REAL AUSTERITY looks like if we are ever stupid enough to vote for Scottish Independence. 

24 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Yep. But how could I possibly vote SNP when they want to claim that every vote they get is an indication of our desire for Independence and how can I ever vote Labour when giving them an extra seat might put Corbyn and his ridiculous spending pledges into office. 

But happy enough to vote for Boris, who you claim to have no respect for, to take Scotland out of the EU despite the many economic advantages that have been gained over the years.

Wouldn't you agree that Scotland will be much the poorer if removed from the EU. Do we just have to accept that and get on with it?

I understand you perfectly then.

If you don’t understand that this statement is clearly anti-Semitic, then it’s no wonder that you don’t understand the Labour party’s problem.

This escalated quickly.

Accusations of anti Semitism on p&b are new to me.

Should we have an enquiry?

19 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

But happy enough to vote for Boris, who you claim to have no respect for, to take Scotland out of the EU despite the many economic advantages that have been gained over the years.

Wouldn't you agree that Scotland will be much the poorer if removed from the EU. Do we just have to accept that and get on with it?

Well first of all - Scotland democratically voted in 2014 to remain within the UK and the UK democratically - as a whole - voted to leave the EU in 2016. The majority for leaving was around 1.27million votes. The number of Scots who voted to leave the EU was 1.66m. Perhaps had the SNP campaigned harder to convince more Scots that remaining in the EU was important, instead of doing very little for fear of sharing an electoral platform with Conservative and Labour Remainers, perhaps Scotland could have swung the vote the other way. In any event, yes, Scots should accept the result of the democratic vote and get on with it. 

But regardless, to answer your question I prefer to use expert opinion on this and the Institute of Fiscal Studies has stated that it expects that regardless of whether the UK remains or leaves the EU the UK economy to continue to show steady growth. It states that the rate of growth outwith the EU will most likely be slower than had we remained in the EU, but that growth was still likely regardless. In other words we'll all be better off as opposed to be poorer regardless of the decision on the EU - just perhaps not quite as better off  as we might have been over the next few years. I think common sense and logic suggests that we've been feeling the impact of the 2016 Brexit vote ever since the results were announced, yet we have record numbers in work and wage inflation is above general inflation. 

Edited by Malky3