Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

Scottish independence is what we should all be concerned about. Get us out of this fucking mess
I am, I am. But I'd prefer to avoid an economic meltdown in brexit and shafting of the poor across Britain. Labour are offering something more radical thank I've ever seen (and I feel pretty fucking old these days).

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I am, I am. But I'd prefer to avoid an economic meltdown in brexit and shafting of the poor across Britain. Labour are offering something more radical thank I've ever seen (and I feel pretty fucking old these days).

It’s idiotic to think that we should ignore what is happening in the UK whilst we are still a member.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, pandarilla said:
There's no doubt that a Boris led election campaign is going to be more popular than a may-led one.

Corbyn is relying on a huge local movement and massive youth turnout. No real signs of it yet and again, am election at this time of year is not suited to that strategy.

I hope I'm wrong but Scottish independence being more likely is the only possible benefit to come out of this election.

Scottish independence is what we should all be concerned about. Get us out of this fucking mess

Uh-huh. What we really need is a hard border between ourselves and England. Customs controls on the border. A £12.6Bn deficit. An aged work force incapable of meeting our pension commitments. Sterlingisation where the Bank of England dictates our economic policy. And an anti-democratic, authoritarian high taxation driven Scottish Government that run cover ups on disease riddled water being fed into cancer wards in Scottish NHS hospitals. 

At least it'll stop us all talking about the EU eh? 

Edited by Malky3

Uh-huh. What we really need is a hard border between ourselves and England. Customs controls on the border. A £12.6Bn deficit. An aged work force incapable of meeting our pension commitments. Sterlingisation where the Bank of England dictates our economic policy. And an anti-democratic, authoritarian high taxation driven Scottish Government that run cover ups on disease riddled water being fed into cancer wards in Scottish NHS hospitals. 
The Bank of England currently dictates our economic policy you nuggett.

3 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

As an independent nation we will be able to set Policies that will correct those issues.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Corbyn is relying on a huge local movement and massive youth turnout. No real signs of it yet and again, am election at this time of year is not suited to that strategy.

Why would the auld yins be more likely to crawl out to the polling stations in December than the youngsters? Not saying you're wrong, it just sounds odd.

Imagine there was a hard frost on the 12th and the percentage of kids voting dropped more than the pensioners. Bit of a minter.

1 hour ago, Jute said:

As an independent nation we will be able to set Policies that will correct those issues.

Really? 

If the Nationalists are to be believed the EU would tell you whether or not you could drop the hard border and the EU will insist you hit their deficit targets of less than 3% of GDP and not the 7.5% that the Scottish economy currently sits at. And the Bank Of England will dictate your monetary policies - like telling you what your interest rates are, and what your borrowing limits will be and they'll be duty bound to run monetary policy for a Westminster government, not for the Scottish Government. 

16 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Really? 

If the Nationalists are to be believed the EU would tell you whether or not you could drop the hard border and the EU will insist you hit their deficit targets of less than 3% of GDP and not the 7.5% that the Scottish economy currently sits at. And the Bank Of England will dictate your monetary policies - like telling you what your interest rates are, and what your borrowing limits will be and they'll be duty bound to run monetary policy for a Westminster government, not for the Scottish Government. 

We will be just fine. Short-term (10 -15 years) disruption. But ultimately a happier more self-confident people once making our own decisions. As opposed to being like a sulky teenager blaming every thing on Dad/England. The border problems are surmountable. Those who want Scottish independence and have played along with all the concocted Irish border hysteria should blush at their hypocrisy.

11 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

We will be just fine. Short-term (10 -15 years) disruption. But ultimately a happier more self-confident people once making our own decisions. As opposed to being like a sulky teenager blaming every thing on Dad/England. The border problems are surmountable. Those who want Scottish independence and have played along with all the concocted Irish border hysteria should blush at their hypocrisy.

I think the disruption will be longer term than that. Ireland got it's independence in 1922 and it took them to till well into the new millennia to sort their economy and as for sulking, it didn't stop the Irish. Their own PM says the Irish economy is hugely dependent on the UK economy and has stated many times over that a hard border between Ireland and the UK would be a disaster for his country, yet that's exactly what Scottish Nationalists want for us. I agree with you though about the banging hypocrisy of the Scottish Nationalist. It was in their best interests to get a Withdrawal Agreement done yet the party they vote for became one of the main protagonists. 

5 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

I think the disruption will be longer term than that. Ireland got it's independence in 1922 and it took them to till well into the new millennia to sort their economy and as for sulking, it didn't stop the Irish. Their own PM says the Irish economy is hugely dependent on the UK economy and has stated many times over that a hard border between Ireland and the UK would be a disaster for his country, yet that's exactly what Scottish Nationalists want for us. I agree with you though about the banging hypocrisy of the Scottish Nationalist. It was in their best interests to get a Withdrawal Agreement done yet the party they vote for became one of the main protagonists. 

Yes. But he doesn’t really believe there’s a need for a hard border, does he? The issue was just blown up to get the UK to drop Brexit or ditch Ulster. And, with help from Westminster, he’s had some success.

40 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Yes. But he doesn’t really believe there’s a need for a hard border, does he? The issue was just blown up to get the UK to drop Brexit or ditch Ulster. And, with help from Westminster, he’s had some success.

As far as I understood it neither the UK or Ireland governments want a hard border but the EU keeps insisting on it. 

52 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

How can it be any other way if we're not in a customs union?

Norway isn't in the customs union, but it has an open border with Sweden. 

In theory though, two countries operating independently should be able to set up any customs arrangement as they wish. Neither Ireland nor the UK want a hard border - but because Ireland doesn't enjoy the sovereignty to make it's own agreements they HAVE to follow the wishes of the EU. The same would be true for Scotland if it decided to come out of the UK but sought to rejoin the EU. It wouldn't matter what we want, the EU would dictate their rules to us anyway. 

55 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Norway isn't in the customs union, but it has an open border with Sweden. 

In theory though, two countries operating independently should be able to set up any customs arrangement as they wish. Neither Ireland nor the UK want a hard border - but because Ireland doesn't enjoy the sovereignty to make it's own agreements they HAVE to follow the wishes of the EU. The same would be true for Scotland if it decided to come out of the UK but sought to rejoin the EU. It wouldn't matter what we want, the EU would dictate their rules to us anyway. 

Your two paragraphs contradict each other.

Does Sweden get to do its own thing or does the EU dictate to Sweden?

5 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Your two paragraphs contradict each other.

Does Sweden get to do its own thing or does the EU dictate to Sweden?

And Norway has a hard border with Sweden because it has separate trade deals with 3rd parties which could threaten the integrity of the single market, along with opt outs for Ag and Fish. Astonishingly Malky appears to be talking shite again.

Edited by welshbairn

I getcha, I want indy, but I like the English and dont want them to vote for a self destructive shower of tory c***s who’ll plunge them back to the dark ages.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

And Norway has a hard border with Sweden because it has separate trade deals with 3rd parties which could threaten the integrity of the single market, along with opt outs for Ag and Fish. Astonishingly Malky appears to be talking shite again.

Oh dear. I knew some dafty would jump in. 

Norway signed the Schengen Agreement and is within the Schengen Zone. They do not have a hard border at all. However they do have sporadic customs checks along the border between Sweden and Norway. It's exactly the kind of digitised model that Theresa May and her Government kept citing with the EU, but the EU kept insisting on the hard border because the UK do not want Freedom of Movement after Brexit.