Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

3 minutes ago, Kuro said:

On the big issues you wouldn't expect to see that at all.  If you don't support brexit for example, you should be resigning from a party that supports it if you have any principles.

They vote the same on almost everything, if they were told it was 2 sugars in the tea they'd all fucking vote for it and follow it.

And don't kid on there's loads of politicians of any persuasion that are actually that principled.

Edited by ayrmad

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

They vote the same on almost everything, if they were told it was 2 sugars in the tea they'd all fucking vote for it and follow it.

And don't kid on there's loads of politicians of any persuasion that are actually that principled.

Do they?  Let's see some evidence please.

7 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Yes and then they ALL stood on a manifesto to deliver Brexit, I actually like the fact that both parties have differing views within their parties, watching the SNP voting through almost everything as one doesn't actually sit too well with me.

SNP MPs were elected in the pre-Brexit general election on a manifesto explicitly opposing EU withdrawal. They were the only major party to take such position. (Even the Lib Dems went mealy-mouthed, wanting to remain EU members but secure 'real reform'.)

So I'm not sure why you'd expect them to parrot a variety of positions on this issue.

3 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

SNP MPs were elected in the pre-Brexit general election on a manifesto explicitly opposing EU withdrawal. They were the only major party to take such position. (Even the Lib Dems went mealy-mouthed, wanting to remain EU members but secure 'real reform'.)

So I'm not sure why you'd expect them to parrot a variety of positions on this issue.

I've not a problem with their REMAIN stance, it's all the other votes that make them a bit cultish.

8 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Surprised to note that 25% are ostensibly voting for neither Remain or Leave parties.

What kind of outcome are they hoping for?

Maybe they're simply voting on the assumption that if we remain in Europe they want those MEPs and those parties to represent them. It isn't that daft, really.

What's more daft, when you think about it, is voting for a Brexit Party (or a single-issue Remain party) because the decision to remain in Europe won't be decided by these elections. What's the practical benefit of getting a Brexit Party MEP?

Edited by Mr Heliums

9 hours ago, ayrmad said:

They vote on almost every issue as one in both parliaments, it's not fucking normal, folk just don't agree on every issue in the real world.

What are you talking about? In the world of politics it's know as "discipline" and the sign of a leader who is in control of their party. The alternative is something that looks more like Labour...

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

So within statistical error, despite Brexit, despite the Vow apparently not being delivered, despite the "bedroom tax", the "rape clause", the foodbanks, the suicides apparently caused by the Tories, the move to Universal Credit, benefits sanctions and a crackdown on welfare, 10 years of apparent "austerity" and complaints about the sky falling down, the polls have barely moved in 5 years.

That is the cold hard reality for Yessers and it is very indicative of the fact that for most people, life is in reasonably good shape and they are happy enough with things as they are. I can't think of anything to add to the above which could be reasonably expected to shift those numbers except for one thing. Time. 15 to 20 years in the future I think there might be a chance of a sea change. An indecent, impatient haste to rush to Indyref 2 in a couple of years time will kill independence stone dead IMO.

I disagree, because you could fairly throw any list of SNP shortcomings out there and note that the Yes vote hadn't collapsed as well. The polls have moved slightly in favour of yes and have shown blips of yes majorities, either through non standard questions or in the panic in the month after the Brexit vote - in other words only when there was a context, either i n the question or in the contemporary events that forced people to think about the question in any depth.There is no campaign and therefore no impetus for people to think too hard or too deeply about the constitutional issue, it's background noise on the TV at 630 pm. Only a campaign could be expected to help change people's minds. 

So within statistical error, despite Brexit, despite the Vow apparently not being delivered, despite the "bedroom tax", the "rape clause", the foodbanks, the suicides apparently caused by the Tories, the move to Universal Credit, benefits sanctions and a crackdown on welfare, 10 years of apparent "austerity" and complaints about the sky falling down, the polls have barely moved in 5 years.
That is the cold hard reality for Yessers and it is very indicative of the fact that for most people, life is in reasonably good shape and they are happy enough with things as they are. I can't think of anything to add to the above which could be reasonably expected to shift those numbers except for one thing. Time. 15 to 20 years in the future I think there might be a chance of a sea change. An indecent, impatient haste to rush to Indyref 2 in a couple of years time will kill independence stone dead IMO.

I think it actually says more about the mentality of unionists that a flag means more to them than their country not being a morally bankrupt right wing seethefest.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

The Yes vote is within 2 or 3 percent of going over the winning line but you believe we should wait 15 to 20 years?  :blink: 

Is it me or have the SNP spent less time on all the social justice causes recently? The SGC seemed to be looking squarely to convince middle class people.

Spending the rest of our lives, living in a centrist’s paradise