Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

There’s been zero campaigning from the indy movement and as bad as Brexit is looking I don’t think there can be significant movement without an active campaign in favour of leaving. I doubt anyone within the SNP is really bothered by this poll.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Yes and yes.

Also it was Scotland who really put the Tories in power last time around. Those Scottish Tory MP’s put us over the top.

Superb stuff.

If leaving political unions is great, you should be right behind Scottish sovereignty. Also, the Tories didn’t get “over the top” you fluttering c**t.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

There’s been zero campaigning from the indy movement and as bad as Brexit is looking I don’t think there can be significant movement without an active campaign in favour of leaving. I doubt anyone within the SNP is really bothered by this poll.

This is an important point, before the anti-Scottish statehood brigade get excited. Why isn’t support for regionhood reinflating to its pre-2014 levels? Regionalists can’t rely forever on an aging demographic hoping to thwart Scotland’s independence. Sooner or later they’ll have to hope that support for being a wee northern region doesn’t just stay at its referendum levels, but increases back to where it was before independence was debated.

Given where we were ten years ago, it’s odd to see Britnats exulting that they’ve staunched the blood loss, and that the blessed UK is still alive. Back then it was in robust health, now it’s like a one-legged man being championed just for still being alive.

Edited by Antlion

Just watched a rerun of the EU withdrawal (Scotland) bill debate from Holyrood. Anyone who believes that the Torys will do anything other than put The Union and their own interests 1st are seriously deluded. Murdo Frasers appeal to "his unionist colleagues" in the Labour and Lib/Den parties was particularly galling. He really is a c#&t of a man.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

No significant sustained change since the referendum.

polls.thumb.JPG.ea592f97233107f98378f147811585ad.JPG

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions/how-would-you-vote-in-the-in-a-scottish-independence-referendum-if-held-now-ask#bar

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Indeed. Being a wee northern outpost isn’t becoming more attractive to people. The people who are happy with Scotland being compared to Lincolnshire haven’t necessarily changed their mind, but those who have come to see Scotland as a prospective nation state don’t appear to be being swayed by the Tories’ “you should be just like Lincolnshire and like it” arguments. Since the union was created, support for it has never been weaker for so prolonged a period (with its support lately being drawn from the older generations). Bizarrely, British Nationalists seem happy with that.

Edited by Antlion

5 hours ago, Lex said:

Yes and yes.

Also it was Scotland who really put the Tories in power last time around. Those Scottish Tory MP’s put us over the top.

Superb stuff.

I thought it was the D.U.P deal which created the working majority? I agree that without those 13 MPs "us" would only have had 304 MPs and it would indeed have been a well hung Westminster. It was Ruth Davidson's Scottish Conservatives of course who did well for her.

36 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I thought it was the D.U.P deal which created the working majority? I agree that without those 13 MPs "us" would only have had 304 MPs and it would indeed have been a well hung Westminster. It was Ruth Davidson's Scottish Conservatives of course who did well for her.

Sinn Fein could hold the balance of power if they could be bothered turning up. That would be hysterical. :lol:

5 hours ago, jakedee said:

Just watched a rerun of the EU withdrawal (Scotland) bill debate from Holyrood. Anyone who believes that the Torys will do anything other than put The Union and their own interests 1st are seriously deluded. Murdo Frasers appeal to "his unionist colleagues" in the Labour and Lib/Den parties was particularly galling. He really is a c#&t of a man.

I expect Tories to be c***s; it’s the non-Tories being c***s that I still find galling.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Sinn Fein could hold the balance of power if they could be bothered turning up. That would be hysterical. :lol:

Since they don't recognise the authority of the U.K, which I think is their usual stance since 1918(?), they look unlikely to do so :but it would make for interesting times. They do now stand for the Republic Dail which might have been a recent change, so you never know, with anew leader etc. I don't know a lot about Irish politics so excuse my difficulty.

If Sinn Fein really want to push the agenda for British withdrawal from the U.K. there could be no more significant act than turning up at Westminster and fucking up Brexit.

Did you mean NI withdrawal from UK? Or British withdrawal from the island of Ireland? It would be something else indeed

43 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Did you mean NI withdrawal from UK? Or British withdrawal from the island of Ireland? It would be something else indeed

Yeah it should have said NI rather U.K.  

I've always thought the easiest way to gain Independence would be if we can wind up the little Englanders so much by blocking Brexit that they tell us to f**k off. Any help from our Irish brethren would be most appreciated.

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:
11 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I've always thought the easiest way to gain Independence would be if we can wind up the little Englanders so much by blocking Brexit that they tell us to f**k off. Any help from our Irish brethren would be most appreciated.

Well some of the more vocal Brexiteers, like Farage and Gove, make no secret of their contempt for Scots and Scotland (and Ireland and the Irish), so once they don’t have the EU to blame for all of England’s ills, perhaps their sense of superior feudal overlordship will switch to open espousal of English independence from the UK. Plenty of the English Brexiteers will blindly follow. Again.