Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

YouGov have Labour ahead of the SNP among 18-24 year olds.

I was going to say that I don't buy it but I don't really know many 18-24 year olds so maybe it's accurate.  After all, by definition young people aren't established with any one party so are maybe more likely to change than older voters.

I think YouGov may be having a significant heads-gone election though.

Scottish Labour have commissioned a YouGov poll. Asked Farquarson if it's the same one as published in the Times, but he hasn't answered.

Maybe answer why it shows Labour doing so well... 

the Italian national anthem is great.

Here's a link to the YouGov poll

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/06/voting-intention-scotland-snp-41-con-26-lab-25-1-5/

69% of 18-24 year olds are absolutely certain to vote in this poll.  SNP voters are lowest on likelihood to vote.

Edited by ICTChris

Looking likely that the size of the turnout may decide the size of the Tory majority.
Weather meant to be bad on Thursday.

71.1% was the scottish turnout in 2015 I wonder if voter apathy will return seeing the amount of elections/referendums we have had recently.

I go for 65% in Scotland.

33 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Some of the predictions are being based on uniform swings - as any psepholigist will tell you they rarely do swing uniformly. Incumbency and personal votes have a part to play as well as the unique circumstances in each constituency.

In a Scottish context, if the Tories are picking up most of their extra support in former Labour seats to a greater extent than they are in their target constituencies they may be in for a bit of a dissappointment. They should win the Borders seat, Galloway and Upper Nithsdale, and West Aberdeenshire in addition to Mundell's seat without any problem, but after that local factors could limit their gains.

Good to see that post on the previous page deleted.

John Curtice has blogged about the Scottish Labour "surge"

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2017/06/the-labour-surge-washes-over-hadrians-wall/

Amazing really that finishing second in Scotland, with maybe five seats, would be a great result for Scottish Labour.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

In a Scottish context, if the Tories are picking up most of their extra support in former Labour seats to a greater extent than they are in their target constituencies they may be in for a bit of a dissappointment. They should win the Borders seat, Galloway and Upper Nithsdale, and West Aberdeenshire in addition to Mundell's seat without any problem, but after that local factors could limit their gains.

The Tories need leave voting SNP voters to switch to them to win other seats. In Robertsons seat, for example, the labour vote is non existent, but the Leave vote definitely isn't. I personally think brexit will affect the election massively for the Tories, both positively (in the case of Scotland) and negatively (south west england former lib dem seats). 

Edited by sparky88

Failed state poll

IMG_1496774592.249968.thumb.jpg.a5ccf1d4c1a2b93e6a17b3c5596d03d3.jpg

Which isn't that different at all from the 2015 percentages. People really are stuck in there ways there!

Anyway, I don't particularly buy it, but there's some Twitter gossip that Labour are concerned about Bolsover. Very large UKIP vote to squeeze and Dennis Skinner has apparently been fairly non-existent during the campaign. Could certainly see his majority being cut a fair bit, but not by enough for him to lose the seat.

5 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The first two aren't seats in this election so they will definitely have a problem winning them. West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine had a seven thousand majority for the SNP 2 years ago. And I was told by a farmer from Dumfriesshire last week that Mundell is haning by a thread. 

I'm struggling to find any level of evidence that the Tories will pick up seats. Happy to learn :)