ESPN 30 for 30

Dindeleux

I think there was a thread on this before but has anyone been watching the series on BT Sport across the last month or two?

I think they are very well done and I've particularly enjoyed the episodes on Wayne Gretzky (who I knew about) and today about a basketball player called Len Bias who I hadn't heard of before.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I watched the one about the rivalry between Notre Dame and Miami in 1988.  It was called Catholics Vs Convicts.

I think it came on directly after a Champions League game and I ended up sitting up watching it.  It was excellent.

Always been a big Miami fan have you?

Watched about a dozen of them so far. Really enjoy them, a lot of them are about things I didn't know and I wouldn't normally watch. 16th man about Nelson Mandela and the rugby world cup in 1995 my highlight so far

I absolutely love these documentaries.

My favorite was the one about the nba pals caught up in the Balkan wars of the 90s. It was very sad.

The other brilliant one was about the university American football team at ole miss - at the time when James Meredith was being shoehorned in as the first black student.

Have the boxset for the first series but not got all the way through. Generally really worth it, with the best one more than making up for the others. The Gretzky one was a bit schmaltzy but the only bad one was the USFL one which didn't seem to do a good job of explaining what happened - it set out to pin the failure of the league all on Trump but didn't appear to convincingly prove it or to really explain what on earth he was playing at...

They are excellent usually but annoyingly I only seem to notice when they've already started and BT don't repeat them again to a schedule so I've missed a few really good ones I think. Catholics vs Convicts was really good but the best one I saw was about the OJ Simpson case - it was called One Day in June or something because on that day there was the second round of the US Open (Arnold Palmer's last round), a big basketball game (either NBA Play-offs or NCAA Final Four?), the 1994 FIFA World Cup and something to do with the New York Rangers winning the Stanley Cup for first time on ages yet the big sports story that day was about a murder.

The other one I remember which was good but a bit mental was about the guy trying to make sure that James Naismith's original rules of basketball ended up going to his old college and it was going to set some guy back millions of dollars to try and buy it at auction.

I loved the one about the guys who invented the Fantasy Leagues. 

(Silly Little Game)

I was at a wedding last week & a guy at my table was a software engineer who's product ran programmes that operated in this market in the States.

Must have pissed him off, that somebody at the table knew exactly what he was talking about, coz he fcuked off after the meal.:lol:8)

17 hours ago, kiddy said:

I loved the one about the guys who invented the Fantasy Leagues. 

(Silly Little Game)

I was at a wedding last week & a guy at my table was a software engineer who's product ran programmes that operated in this market in the States.

Must have pissed him off, that somebody at the table knew exactly what he was talking about, coz he fcuked off after the meal.:lol:8)

Might not be the same company, but Draft KIngs (who are one of the main daily fantasy games out there and huge in the States) are based in Edinburgh. They sponsor the Edinburgh Wolves American Football team (or used to) and were set up with money from Scottish Enterprise...

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this because I just searched to see if anyone watches these.

A few years ago I saw one called Catching Hell; that is actually under the ESPN Presents series rather than a volume of 30 for 30, and it was magnificent. Didn't seek out any others though for some reason. 

Then a few months ago I noticed a 30 for 30 on BT Sport's schedule and set it to record the series. I've got about 30 to sift through and so far I've watched: Benji, You Don't Know Bo, Chasing Tyson and The Price of Gold. All fantastic. I knew hee haw about most American sports but even the ice skating one was fascinating.

It's quite weird how BT Sport seem to just randomly select which ones to show. I really fancy The Two Escobars but it's not been shown since I set up my series record.

Just finished watching This Was The XFL. 

I was obsessed with the wrestling when I was younger but the whole XFL thing bypassed my completely. I can only think they must not have mentioned it much on WWE shows, but you'd think surely they would have milked that big time? I only heard about XFL about a year ago through old Opie & Anthony clips.

That's six I've watched now and they're all v. v. interesting.

Can't believe I didn't watch these sooner - I've known about the series for years but just always kind of dismissed them, simply because they're mostly about American sports.

22 hours ago, Slacker said:

Bumping this because I just searched to see if anyone watches these.

A few years ago I saw one called Catching Hell; that is actually under the ESPN Presents series rather than a volume of 30 for 30, and it was magnificent. 

That was a stunning insight into mob mentality. The fact that the fans chose to blame Steve Bartman rather than their own players capitulation (and in particular Alex Gonzales) was disgraceful and although the "curse of the billy goat" was lifted last year, you still can't help but feel sorry for Bartman.

For anyone who is an admirer of the fuller figure, Erika Amundsen is a "wid".

You can watch the whole documentary here.

Just finished watching This Was The XFL. 
I was obsessed with the wrestling when I was younger but the whole XFL thing bypassed my completely. I can only think they must not have mentioned it much on WWE shows, but you'd think surely they would have milked that big time? I only heard about XFL about a year ago through old Opie & Anthony clips.
That's six I've watched now and they're all v. v. interesting.
Can't believe I didn't watch these sooner - I've known about the series for years but just always kind of dismissed them, simply because they're mostly about American sports.

I really want to see this one but can't find it anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just watched fantastic lies about an accusation of gang rape against the Duke university lacrosse team. Unbelievable how twisted a justice system can be and how witch-hunts start before facts are presented

Well worth a watch

Archived