French Presidential Election

Arabdownunder

Yeah I don't agree with all of the SNP policies but I would have a number of red lines in supporting them.  To give some examples:
If they wanted to introduce/support the rape clause I wouldn't vote for them.
If they wanted to introduce/support the death penalty I wouldn't vote for them.
If they wanted to introduce/support legislation that attacked or undermined equal rights for women, ethnic groups or the LGBT community I wouldn't vote for them.
So even though I support Scottish Independence and the SNP are in the vanguard of that fight if they introduced legislation that I regarded as vile I would not vote for them.
If you vote Tory you are by default supporting the rape clause.

What if they undermine equal rights for other groups? Is that sound aye?

Would you prefer rape victims to be financially penalised for having a 3rd child?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

What if they undermine equal rights for other groups? Is that sound aye?

Would you prefer rape victims to be financially penalised for having a 3rd child?

I'd prefer it if they didn't have to fill in an 8-page form, which is hugely invasive and accusatory in tone - read it, and require the backup of a third party public servant to corroborate their claim.

We trust the self-employed to honestly disclose their income, and pay the tax due, yet we don't afford rape victims the trust to claim a benefit which they would be due and is a rather small amount.

That's one rule for one, another for another and is ideaologically driven.

What groups are they undermining? And Sturgeon's already said they'll work to mitigate the effects of the Tories forcing raped women to relive their trauma for an extra 14 quid a week. Nice to see you parroting Ruth Davidson though. Do you also think women should have to apply for extra benefit if they've been raped?

Yeah I don't agree with all of the SNP policies but I would have a number of red lines in supporting them.  To give some examples:
If they wanted to introduce/support the rape clause I wouldn't vote for them.
If they wanted to introduce/support the death penalty I wouldn't vote for them.
If they wanted to introduce/support legislation that attacked or undermined equal rights for women, ethnic groups or the LGBT community I wouldn't vote for them.
So even though I support Scottish Independence and the SNP are in the vanguard of that fight if they introduced legislation that I regarded as vile I would not vote for them.
If you vote Tory you are by default supporting the rape clause.

You forgot to add "Vote for bible-bashing homophobe John Mason".

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You forgot to add "Vote for bible-bashing homophobe John Mason".

It's not a red line for me.  I can vote SNP despite Mason because his fucked up views do not influence SNP policy.  I couldn't bring myself to vote for the man if he was my local SNP candidate however.

Sooky will vote Tory despite the vile rape clause being Tory Party policy.

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Not one of these guys whining about this clause actually cares about rape victims.

What they really care about is benefits cuts. This clause just allows them another weapon.

They are using rape victims in order to score political points and frankly that is truly disgusting IMO.

It's a classic example of trying to claim the moral high ground and it reeks of fakery.

Some people can actually be compassionate and care about others.

Why do you find that such an alien concept?

Some people can actually be compassionate and care about others.
Why do you find that such an alien concept?

I'm actually staggered by that comment. Staggered. How much more can you highlight that you're a sociopath that doesn't think it's possible to give a shot about other people.

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Not one of these guys whining about this clause actually cares about rape victims.

What they really care about is benefits cuts. This clause just allows them another weapon.

They are using rape victims in order to score political points and frankly that is truly disgusting IMO.

It's a classic example of trying to claim the moral high ground and it reeks of fakery.

You sound like a class A tory.

You see, this is the moral high ground I am talking about.
Because I hate poverty suddenly I hate other people.
It's the debating skills of the playground.

That isn't what's being said though. People are outraged at an outrageous policy, either because they can see how awful it is or because they know people personally affected by it. Your response to this is to claim that any outrage to this is just posturing and an attempt to claim the moral high ground. Which is baffling to me.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Because the outrage is fake. Pure and simple.

I think I'll give this a miss.

I can't really fathom how someone can't see that others can empathise with a victim of rape.  I think debating with someone like that goes nowhere.

So f**k off you creepy b*****d.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Jagsfan said:

I would have thought that an immigrant gunning down a policeman and seriously injuring two more would have provided a boost for Marine LePen's campaign.

Only if folk are stupid, so yeah there's a big possibility.

Muslim extermists and Jihadists would love to see LePen elected.  They want conflict; they crave conflict; nothing would suit them more and be a breeding ground for their beliefs than an extreme right wing President.

Stuck some money on Melenchon at 20/1 a week or so ago as if he sneaks into the 2nd round, he might have a decent chance if it's not Macron he's up against. Interestingly, I think he's about as anti-EU as Le Pen is (just from the total opposite direction, obviously)

Archived